Most underrated/underappreciated manager we ever had.

At this point it’s most certainly Beale although things seem to have calmed a little in the last week or so.
What was it, 92% wanted him sacked after a month?

Mick McCarthy.
Thankless task having to come in and clear up the mess after the end of the Reid era and Wilkinson.
Remarkably, almost got us promoted in his first full season then did the second. Given no money when he got us up.
Kept things smooth brilliantly until Quinn came in.

Mick McCarthy.
Thankless task having to come in and clear up the mess after the end of the Reid era and Wilkinson.
Remarkably, almost got us promoted in his first full season then did the second. Given no money when he got us up.

I wouldn’t say it was that smooth at the end of the 15 point season when thousands were outside the west stand calling for a revolution at the club

Mick McCarthy.
Agree with your sentiment overall marra, but "brilliantly" is over egging the pudding a tad don't you think?🙂

I wouldn’t say it was that smooth at the end of the 15 point season when thousands were outside the west stand calling for a revolution at the club
That wasn't McCarthy's fault though, you could even say because of the debt Reid left us in it wasn't entirely Murray's either ?
Agree with your sentiment overall marra, but "brilliantly" is over egging the pudding a tad don't you think?🙂
It could have been a lot worse though, relegated twice in a row like recently ?

Last edited:
Mick McCarthy.
Last sentence? Ultimately not his fault but I lost my respect for him when he tried to back up the club line of spending £X million on transfers when they decided to include the salaries over entirety of each signing.

Alan Durban
Certainly underrated and underappreciated by the Chairman at the time.
Last sentence? Ultimately not his fault but I lost my respect for him when he tried to back up the club line of spending £X million on transfers when they decided to include the salaries over entirety of each signing.
Maybe yeah.
Maybe yeah.

Last edited:
My Son asked him (Ken Knighton) for his autograph, the reply was unprintable. That finished me with him.
My choices would be Alan Durban and Dennis Smith, I can’t choose between them.

Back