Monthly food cost

I’m finding that food shopping now is getting to be like it was years ago, where it’s better to shop round. The bairn wanted lollies yesterday 3.50 in Asda but next door in Iceland there own make of ‘dupes’ was 1.00.

My two lads never stop eating, I feel like I’m constantly stocking up.

I've never added it up, it's so variable. Guessing £50-£100 a week for me and 2 cats.....

I don't enjoy cooking for myself so just have easy stuff like salads, pasta, soups etc, lots of fruit and vegetables but don't really eat much meat. I like the M&S meal deal/Dine Ins. Obviously I'll make more effort if entertaining, will always buy really nice food and drink for guests. Eat out few times a month as well. Have my nieces to stay a lot and we are always out and about hither and yonder exploring so eat out a lot with them too.

Last edited:
2 of us budget £100 a week including stuff for lunches and dog food ,laundry stuff , toiletries etc. We buy a lot of yellow stickered meat so every once in a while we have a £50 week or two and just buy fresh veg , fruit , bread and dairy plus any dog supplies to use subsidise the freezer stuff. We mainly cook from scratch. I think I was single it would drop to £75 a week but not £50

Father in law, just give me a massive cut of skirt...steak? Not idea what to do with it (never seen it before) so it's going in the slow cooker. Might do a steak and ale pie.

I love shin done in the slow cooker. Not cheap anymore though.
I asked my butcher if he could order some skirt in. He called me this morning and said I've got it. Just nipped up and he said smallest portion he could get was 11kg.

Bought the lot for 80 quid.

Bearing in mind 4 chicken breasts from waitrose is 25 sheets that's incredible value.

11kg. Let's say I use 500g twice a week that's almost 3m of protein for 80 nicker. Yes please.

I asked my butcher if he could order some skirt in. He called me this morning and said I've got it. Just nipped up and he said smallest portion he could get was 11kg.

Bearing in mind 4 chicken breasts from waitrose is 25 sheets that's incredible value.

11kg. Let's say I use 500g twice a week that's almost 3m of protein for 80 nicker. Yes please.
That is a tremendous price.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Thats mental!!! Prices have gone up here but not like that - supermarkets about 8quid, butcher a tenner, farmers market about 14

That is a tremendous price.
He said I won't be able to sell it so you can have it for that. No brainer.

Can't believe more people don't go for cheap cuts like that. Butchers cut man.
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Thats mental!!! Prices have gone up here but not like that - supermarkets about 8quid, butcher a tenner, farmers market about 14
Waitrose is daft mind. Especially the duchy stuff

Last edited:

Back