Modern Football

When it is perfection it is wonderful to watch but only few teams can manage it. Lesser teams try to copy this type of football but fail miserably.
The thing I most hate about modern football is the constant passing back and forth between defenders and even goalkeepers.
Pretty sure football has always had a lot of passing back to the keeper. Just then the keeper could pick the ball up for a bit of time wasting.

Me too marra I only watch us and can’t remember the last premier league game I watched. I like watching the Euros mind but not arsed particularly about watching Ingerland
I’m hot n cold about England. I enjoyed them in the last World Cup as they were a breath of fresh air after the arrogance of Rooney and his marras, but it looks like all that enthusiasm is being drained away by a terrified manager who only got the job because he won’t rock the boat. He’ll play who the sponsors through the FA tell him to play.

Var has ruined my enjoyment

Its not even just var for me, its the fact that even with it you get the human element where they won't even look at clear fouls, but look when players create their own contact or they come up with some bullshit handball stuff and then change it and change it again.

At the moment they seem to be focusing on not giving penalties for exaggerated dives, regardless of whether they're a foul or not. Football is f*cked with constant ridiculousrule changes for the sake of rule change, Var is just adding to that.

No it isn’t. Not at all.

My Grandad used to say sumit similar 25 years ago, was bollocks then and is now.

People like twisting on as they get older. I’ve said a few times tonight ‘the games gone’.

Whats shit is you’re getting older and the things you love are changing and evolving while you long for how it was when you were 10.
This all day long

Replace football with music, social values, chocolate bars at the corner shop.

It's basically just rose tinted specs but today football is the focus.

...as opposed to the 70s and 80s when we were challenging for the title? :lol:
I mean for all but a select few clubs the chance of winning anything is a pipe dream
I mean for all but a select few clubs the chance of winning anything is a pipe dream
And also that irrespective of what happened in the past, our chances of doing more than scrapping to avoid relegation are limited.
however hope springs eternal

Last edited:
I think some people have selective memories.

Remember the back pass to the goalkeeper?

Hoofball as a tactic in the top flight?

Booting the better players all over the pitch?

Apparently they were all part of some sort of golden age of football.

higher standard of players (top level anyway)
higher standard of pitches and facilities
much more professional
zero characters, zero aspirations (unless you follow one of the brands)

How much is nostalgia (for being in my 20s more than anything) and how much is it the case that football was much more fun back in the 60s and 70s is debateable (players didnt need their names on their shirts back then - everybody knew who played for who cos they often did so their entire career).

Anyhow, glad I watched it when I did..some great memories and great times.

Think you become more cynical as your get older, I can appreciate great play still like Portugal’s first goal against Germany, but it’s all about money nowadays and the fun is being sucked out of the game,

Noticed the adverts the last few days of England players promoting junk food and alcohol, when any athlete worth his salt wouldn’t put any of that into there bodies, but for money will advertise it readily 😱

At the moment it's all about getting out of the group. and as only 8 teams drop out at this stage, that's achieved more by not losing than winning. So teams aren't taking risks unless they go behind. It should pick up once teams need to win to progress.
Look at Italia '90. Robson was getting pelters and we were dog awful for the most of it. Sneaked past Cameroon and we all look back on it in fondness.

Back