Modern Football

When it is perfection it is wonderful to watch but only few teams can manage it. Lesser teams try to copy this type of football but fail miserably.
The thing I most hate about modern football is the constant passing back and forth between defenders and even goalkeepers.

When it is perfection it is wonderful to watch but only few teams can manage it. Lesser teams try to copy this type of football but fail miserably.
The thing I most hate about modern football is the constant passing back and forth between defenders and even goalkeepers.
Passing it around the back just let's all of the other teams players get into defensive positions. It would be interesting to see stats on how many passes on average leads to a goal.

It’s slowly but surely being ruined.
Var although a good idea in theory has totally took away a major part of football.
scoring goals should be the main part of the reason we play and watch and celebrate.
passion from players and fans in that moment when a goal is scored is now ruined.
right or wrong. The element of pure joy has been tainted by the worry a goal may be chalked afterwards and it must be in the back of everyone’s mind as they celebrate.

diving and cheating, rolling round, pretending to be hurt etc is a huge negative in today’s game.
Professionals and ex pros, pundits and even fans seem to accept it as part of the game.
it’s not man. It’s shite and anyone who holds their ankle after being kicked in the knee or jumps up after they realise play has continued and they haven’t been given a foul while they roll around should be punished by var.

If it’s gonna be in I’d like to see that sort of shit stamped on.
time wasting is ridiculous.
free kicks for fuckin any contact etc etc

sort it out. It’s wouldn’t be hard. Would just take some balls by officials.
they seem to have enough bollocks to give ridiculous decisions week in week out. Why can’t they stamp the shot out that everyone hates.

This is going to sound weird but I watch a bit of J League and the refs there let absolutely loads of tackles go without blowing for a free kick. There's a stack of B grade Brazillians getting kicked to fuck. It's refreshing to watch.
I watch it as well. Technically it is obviously nowhere near the top levels of European leagues. It is however much better to watch. As you say, in the J-League, you are still allowed to tackle.
The likes of Sky, well all media, encourage this with all of the ridiculous stats they spout. Player X has made 40 passes (95% completed), challenged for the ball 10 times (winning 80%) won 3 personal duels, covered 120 miles, averaged 20 mph, wears f***ing lime green Nike Swoosh Woosh boots endorsed by Apple, Qatar Airlines & Budweiser.

Last edited:
I have only fully watched Croatia game and left tv after an hour last night to go to a pub not showing Scotland game.
Just about every penalty and free kick awarded in Prem comes about because the attacking player deliberately goes to ground. If there is contact from a defender it tends to be either minimal or accidental.
I thought VAR would make it obvious to referees that in the majority if cases players are going to ground deliberately. Refeeres are either blind, stupid or following a directive that is not framed in the rulebook . I suspect the latter.
Also, goalkeepers do not make saves anymore. Their oversized ridiculously webbed gloves encourage them to palm the ball away.
Possession in the modern game is now the holy grail. And to be honest foreign players and managers are so transitory that I am struggling to come even near to naming most team line ups.
But I am well into my sixties. I am a dinosaur.
I do not fit the modern England fan stereotype of donning large shades, perfect set of teeth, mid thirties age , giving it large in a fan zone and fake tan.
So perhaps it may be unfair to criticise the modern game. Times change.
My fathers generation idolised Shack and Wor Jackie.
Hudson, Currie and Bowles were dismissed as overpaid poseurs. On £300 as well.
And now ?

Tbf mate half the free kicks are because the defender goes to grounds these days as well

No it isn’t. Not at all.

My Grandad used to say sumit similar 25 years ago, was bollocks then and is now.

People like twisting on as they get older. I’ve said a few times tonight ‘the games gone’.

Whats shit is you’re getting older and the things you love are changing and evolving while you long for how it was when you were 10.
Not even sure it's the evolution of the game. I'm just older and care less. At one point I would have watched every minute of every game so far. Haven't even seen all the goals never mind the highlights.

At the moment it's all about getting out of the group. and as only 8 teams drop out at this stage, that's achieved more by not losing than winning. So teams aren't taking risks unless they go behind. It should pick up once teams need to win to progress.
But you don’t necessarily need to win to progress when it’s knockout. Try not to lose and practice your pennas.

Every fucker is sacred to lose. Also, factor in this tournament is allowing failure of 3rd place to make it through, is stupid. Its been done before and also been stupid, when there is a perfectly good other way to sort it and 3rd and 4th go home.

Identical sporting arenas instead of proper football grounds.

All the nets are the same. Back in the day you had the big stanchions at Chelsea, red nets at Anfield, Blues nets at Goodison, the half hanging nets at Highbury, the very tight box nets at the Dell etc.

You could tackle once upon a time.

Cups were important.

And what we have now is the Net result of that.
Every fucker is sacred to lose. Also, factor in this tournament is allowing failure of 3rd place to make it through, is stupid. Its been done before and also been stupid, when there is a perfectly good other way to sort it and 3rd and 4th go home.

I sort of agree but it’s also good that there’s something on every last game for every team in 2nd, 3rd and 4th place at the moment.

Last edited:
Supporting Sunderland is enough to put you off football for life. On a serious note though I've barely watched any of the Euros so far and my interest and enthusiasm for football is at an all-time low at the minute.

Watched nearly every game in the euros and nearly every premier league game thanks to lockdown and enjoyed nearly all of it.
In the past it wasn't possible to watch every top flight game because:
A. They were played simultaneously and
B. There was no internet and little tv coverage.
So in a way the oldies are comparing highlights and selected memories with proper coverage which indeed offers boring bits.

Let's not forget you used to have teams constantly passing back to the goalie who could pick it up....two points for a win meaning teams happier for a draw....

Yeah VAR has been bad but has improved in the Euros.

Diving has always been there but one thing is agree is players didn't roll around crying like a baby as much. Tricky to know how stop that.

And what we have now is the Net result of that.

I sort of agree but it’s also good that there’s something on every last game for every team in 2nd, 3rd and 4th place at the moment.
Not for me. Top 2 going through would have changed the mindsets of every team and made it more enjoyable.

They still could have had 24 teams. 12 teams go through with the top 4 ranked teams earning a bye from the first round of quarter finals. So a massive incentive to win games and top your group.

Games for me would have been more open and attacking. An example would be the England- Scotland game. Both teams happy enough with a point as England are pretty much through and Scotland keep their hopes alive.

Giving the teams a bye would mean England would have been looking for the win and Scotland the same as 3rd would be no good.

Everyone wants to see exciting games and this format doesn't do that.

Back