Modern Football

Not for me. Top 2 going through would have changed the mindsets of every team and made it more enjoyable.

They still could have had 24 teams. 12 teams go through with the top 4 ranked teams earning a bye from the first round of quarter finals. So a massive incentive to win games and top your group.

Games for me would have been more open and attacking. An example would be the England- Scotland game. Both teams happy enough with a point as England are pretty much through and Scotland keep their hopes alive.

Giving the teams a bye would mean England would have been looking for the win and Scotland the same as 3rd would be no good.

Everyone wants to see exciting games and this format doesn't do that.
Now that would be a novel format. Giving the team top a rest day.
Keep it quiet. UEFA might just try it.

No it isn’t. Not at all.

My Grandad used to say sumit similar 25 years ago, was bollocks then and is now.

People like twisting on as they get older. I’ve said a few times tonight ‘the games gone’.

Whats shit is you’re getting older and the things you love are changing and evolving while you long for how it was when you were 10.
Wrong.

The game has evolved and the quality is brilliant, but it just isn’t as fun most of the time over the past few years. It’s like watching games of FIFA.

VAR has tipped people over the edge, not being able to celebrate goals ffs man, who the fuck thought that would improve the game.

Last edited:
I want to see the next player who hoys himself on the floor and grabs the ball because someone is near him sent off for cheating.

it's ridiculous that a player defending has to unnaturally put their hands behind their back when defending to avoid an unintended penalty

if something like this is so obviously ridiculous

what goes on behind the scenes will be a lot worse

the offside rule has needed changing for years where there should be a three quarter line and you can only be offside in the last quarter

like the welsh lad you can get a red card for standing on a players foot.

the game has gone to the dogs in it's cleansing up

just like rugby league and afl

you will not be able to head the ball soon!

Interesting reading that its generally our age creeping up being the reason we dont like modern game . With reminders about hoof ball of old and better players being kicked all over the park.

The defenders must like players rolling around umpteen times clutching their knee when they've had their toes trod on or knocking a ball past a defender in the box before throwing themselves to the floor. All that before picking their 200 k a week up.

The game is crackers

Last edited:
All the stadiums look the same these days especially at tournaments , normally I would watch every game but after 5 minutes of this one I’m like the fella with his lap top and I’ve missed half of it , I can’t get into this tournament whatsoever and if England go out I would just be meh, previously I would be gutted for days after

A constant of the last 12 months has been , look forward to a game, then after about 30 mins, find myself getting the laptop out , then look up at tv, to see I have missed a couple of goals. More often than not games are like watching paint dry. Its not so much that the football isn't good, its just boring , what with the rule changes, perfect pitches, VAR and tika taka football its almost faultless to the point were it is becoming unwatchable
Yep. Did that with loads our games last season. I reckon I’m just bored with following the sport now

I re watched the highlights of Spain 82 .
The games are tremendous .

so far removed of what we have now .

Yeah, that tournament was amazing. Brazil were unbelievable. It's not just the football though is it. It's the whole experience of the fans, the spontaneity, the characters, the flair. Everything today is just totally scripted. Players cant think for themselves (pass out from the back regardless, up the line, sideways, sideways, backwards, sideways, keep the ball....) and fans cant breathe in the wrong direction without getting in trouble (sit down, shut up). It's just a completely sterile environment now.

The Big Match Revisited on a Saturday morning on ITV4 highlights every week how good football used to be and how shit it is now.
Over the last few weeks we saw a dog on the pitch, two goalies booked for handling the ball outside the area, and the Arsenal manager Terry Neil smoking a tab in the dugout.
Proper football.

I think football has improved technically and the players are certainly both fitter and faster than when I started watching in the late '60s. Some things have been sanitized, a good tackle gets almost as good a buzz for the crowd as a goal and that has definitely been a step backwards but it used to be dispiriting to see good players get lumps kicked out of them by thugs and bullies and this has now gone. Yes players now go down too easily and time wasting needs to be tackled but that is not solely down to the players.

Improvements through technology , like with the ball being lighter have led to more goals being scored. The pitches are now much improved, who remembers the quagmire that was the Baseball Ground and yes, VAR can be a problem, but if we look at it's use in this tournament it is much better managed than it is in the PL and therefore not the technology, just the implementation.

I do think players generally get the opportunity to show their skills more than in the past. Obviously some will disagree with some, or all, of this but if you don't enjoy it stop watching.
Love watching the re-runs of The Big Match on a Saturday morning!
The pitches !! Sometimes literally up to their ankles in mud!!

Yeah. Never known so much diving. Hate seeing them roll around like they're shot.

Money in the game is disgusting also.

Only really watch us....and that says it all.
And now Mbappe. Spain earlier were diving all over as well. Loada shite and refs not good enough to spot it and book the fuckers.

Back