Missing County Durham man Darren Blyth

Is anyone in the Stokesley area that can help?

The Areas we need covering are: osmotherly woods, skugdale crag woods, lord stones, wainstone crag caves lots of shelter there) Boultby -the bomb holes.

It won't let me link to the post so I've just copied it here:

Update - 19th April: We have a strong potential sighting of a man matching my Dads description in the Stokesley area. Please share as much as possible around this area and help with the search if you can.
He is the sweetest man alive but is probably very confused and disorientated by now. If you see him please do not approach him. Say hello and then call me ASAP as we have people in the surrounding areas who can come to you very quickly. Do not let him out of your sight and call me 07460126918. If he is in a bad way and needs medical assistance please call 999 and ask for Police/Mountain Rescue/Ambulance with your specific location. You can download the app What3Words which will tell them and you exactly where you are within 3 feet.
The Areas we need covering are: osmotherly woods, skugdale crag woods, lord stones, wainstone crag caves lots of shelter there) Boultby -the bomb holes.
Anyone able to check any of those would be fantastic but please let me know you are doing it in a private message as I need to know exactly where everyone is looking and at what time so we don’t miss anywhere, and it is VERY important to know where we’ve searched. PRIVATE MESSAGE ME THESE DETAILS PLEASE.
If you do see him please do not approach him as he might be very confused. If he is walking around Say “Hello” but do not ask him who he is or confront him. Just keep him in your sight and call me/text me on 07460126918 and I will send the closest person to you. If he is in a bad way please call 999 then call me.
New Poster Added below which you are welcome to print and put around the place for him to see.
Thanks to all for their incredible help and support
Logon or register to see this image

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
We released an appeal to my Dad today in various newspapers and are hoping he will see this and come home.
We have new posters that we are handing out and putting up which show pics of the CCTV footage too.
I’ll be messaging everyone who has expressed an interest to continue helping with the search and will include the new posters and details of areas we are hoping to cover tomorrow.
Thank you so much for all the support.
Logon or register to see this image

Thank you so much to everyone that came to help with the widened search this morning. I am so grateful to each and every one of you . In total we had around 100 people handing out posters and speaking to people along the north east coast line all the way from Hartlepool right up to Northumberland. Everyone that has shared my posts and has helped with printing posters and other valuable admin-type tasks, I cannot thank you enough.
If anyone else would like to help with posters and speaking with people along the northeast coastline, please message me and I’ll send you the poster and fill you in on the type of information we are looking to gather and the best way to do this to ensure we remain within the guidelines of the police investigation which is ongoing.
Police have informed me that there have been potential sightings of a man matching my dads description. This may or may not be him. We have widened our search and are now handing posters out and speaking to as many people as possible in the local communities up and down the North East Coast line to gather as much information as possible. We are no longer searching in Hawthorn Dene. Please share to as many community pages as you can. Contact 101 if you have any information. Any info, no matter how small could be of significance, so please let police know if you think you’ve sighted him on 101. Police have also asked that if you find anything of significance not to touch it as it needs to be analysed by forensics and any tampering could hinder the investigation. Please dial 999 if you find him.

Last edited by a moderator:

it must be heartbreaking for his family, theres lots struggling at the moment. I tell my lot at work every day that we never know the invisible burdens others are carrying and to bear that in mind.

I’m sure he was in same year as me at monkwearmouth
Was known as Mel I think after Mel Blyth the footballer
Was into the New Romantics at the time
Yes great lad my year too
Aye remember him well, dyed hair, eyeliner and nail varnish, skinny jeans and pointy shoes. Didn't really take much shit apart from the consensus that he was gay. But that was applied to anyone different.

Can't recall him ever getting bullied, in fact the opposite he seemed well liked. Always seemed to be on his own though, probably in his own little gang of one. Although I do remember others catching on and trying to copy, Sussmulch was one.

The train thing aye, encouraging, fingers crossed for the lad.
He had loads of mates. Duran Duran human league japan era spent many a night in heroes with him. A cracking lad and far from gay.

Last edited:
Yes great lad my year too

He had loads of mates. Duran Duran human league japan era spent many a night in heroes with him. A cracking lad and far from gay.
Aye but we were all young Herbert's in our Dr Martens and donkey jackets, never seen a man in eyeliner and nail varnish before so he was obviously gay :lol:

Didn't mean he didn't have any mates, just he always seemed on his own that's all. Maybe because he stood out or he didn't have a 'gang' with him like the other groups.

Anymore news on him anyway?

Aye but we were all young Herbert's in our Dr Martens and donkey jackets, never seen a man in eyeliner and nail varnish before so he was obviously gay :lol:

Didn't mean he didn't have any mates, just he always seemed on his own that's all. Maybe because he stood out or he didn't have a 'gang' with him like the other groups.

Anymore news on him anyway?
Nothing more than in the press.

yes re dr martens and donkey jackets for the lads and perms for the girls. How stylish

Mel is a Lovely lad went out with my mate Sam (Samantha) so was always around our squad

I Get the impression from his wifes comments they are confident he's alive and he just wanted to get away

lets hope so. Obviously stuff we arent privvy to
Sincerely hope you are right, not sure if he post on here the sooner he back with his family the better. Hard to imagine what they are going through, life get on top of us all at times there nothing that can't be sorted out

Last edited:
Just took the dog for a walk up Noses Point, there's been a body found there. Sincerely hoping it's not him, awful regardless.

Being reported that body found in car, so maybe someone died of natural causes. Didn't see mentioned that he left with his car. Bad news regardless.

Back