Michelin Star Restaurants

Done loads around the world and most are not quite that expensive. Some are good food done well (House of Tides is like that now) and others are truly interesting culinary experiences. Others are very hit and miss.

The Bay Horse in Hurworth has already been mentioned and in my opinion it's the best food in the North East despite it not having a star. I was there yesterday again and it's just fantastic. Trakol is also absolutely brilliant.

think its John street. just up from where joplings was. the chef has that Urban Kitchen up pallion, which is also tremendous. i did a cookery experience / lesson thing there the other year, spent the night with him in the kitchen cooking all sorts. my lass bought me it for xmas. was class.

a one of the list of 'if it was in london it would be a goldmine'
I'll have to give it a try

Looking at taking the wife somewhere special for our anniversary meal, but some of the prices are astronomical. For example, the Raby Hunt starts at £220 each, and then £125 each for wine on top. That’s £690 for a dinner. Surely there is no culinary experience on earth worth that amount of money? A meringue?

Has anyone on here done any of these, and are they worth it? We could go abroad and get a fantastic meal somewhere in Europe for the price.
I'd pay £690 for the opportunity to kick Gordon Ramsay in the

Raby hunt was better before it got all blingy and two stars imho.

Had it with taster menus now like. Can’t be arsed. Had one at peace and loaf and they were fast as fuck. Brought a cheeseburger spring roll out as a surprise course which was as welcome as putting me bellend over a cheesegrater. Think it went in our lasses bag.

Last edited:
Done a couple, have a look at The Bay Horse in Hurworth, its very good. Most memorable was at the walkie talkie building in London that was unreal. Off to Marcus@The Berkeley and Elystan Street in a few weeks really looking forward to those. Also there is a huge amount of work involved with tasting menus but as an experience can't recommend one enough for a special occasion or even if you just fancy a blowout.
I went to Marcus @ The Berkeley about 10 years ago and it was unreal, by far the best restaurant experience I’ve had. I’ve been to some very good places since but non have come close.

I was dismissive of that kind of stuff until I actually went to a starred place and the food was incredible.

Didn’t do the wine pairing first time either but I’ve changed my mind on that as well since we did it.

Did the house of tides a few weeks ago and it was alright but not as good as I expected, the food at hedlam Hall, Goldsborough and northcote was far better. Going to the raby hunt in August, excepting good things.

What do you wear to these places? I’d feel a bit out of place in my Ben Sherman shirt.
A dickie and cummerbund with socks
Looking at taking the wife somewhere special for our anniversary meal, but some of the prices are astronomical. For example, the Raby Hunt starts at £220 each, and then £125 each for wine on top. That’s £690 for a dinner. Surely there is no culinary experience on earth worth that amount of money? A meringue?

Has anyone on here done any of these, and are they worth it? We could go abroad and get a fantastic meal somewhere in Europe for the price.
Raby hunt - sounds rude
no not tried it just heard someone that had been and said it was good.

next time i'm out in sunderland i'll be going back to spent grain. was only £60 all in, and we had 3 courses each and bottle of wine. absolute bargain considering the quality
Is spent grain good

Last edited:

I want to go to Northern Italy for the Parmesan restaurant, and it isn't too dear either, even with the complementary wine

some michelin starred restaurants have not lit me up but others fit the bill

I don't think it is necessarily wise to go by the rating but rather by the word of mouth you get

Bob bob Cite isn't starred but is wonderful, I don't think Scotts has a star either

I prefer a certain level of comfort over a star anyday

Go to Hjem at Wall. Amazing and lovely place. I’m convinced it will be in the UK top ten very soon

Not at Heston's Fat Duck it wasn't.
it is not in my experience, it varies but for me the taster menu is often the most appealing choice

I used to not drink alcohol when I was poorer and wanted to experience these wonderful restaurants, I'd just peg it back to my local and then get shitfaced

Not at Heston's Fat Duck it wasn't.
Must have been a while ago you were there?
If you’re desperate to go to a Michelin star place and stretch your cash, look further afield.

You can probably get a weekend in Bilbao including flights, a meal and drinks in Zarate, half decent hotel and another nice evening meal for what you’d pay to go to Fat Duck and stay the night in Bray.

Obviously right now that’s probably not possible.

Last edited:

Back