Michelin Star Restaurants

slightly off topic but we went to Spent Grain in sunderland on the thursday night and it was really top notch. just really liked everything about the place, the staff, the atmos and the food especially. really good quality all over. not sure there is anywhere like it in the town. praying it doesnt go the same as so many others in the town. i'm going to make an effort to try and go once a month at least
Was there last night. It's topper. Cafe 1851 is decent narl.

The Raby Hunt is fantastic mind. Plenty of Michelin starred places that are cheaper, but still relatively expensive, and I guess it depends on whether you want to pay for 4 or 5 bog standard pub meals or one really good memorable meal.

Looking at taking the wife somewhere special for our anniversary meal, but some of the prices are astronomical. For example, the Raby Hunt starts at £220 each, and then £125 each for wine on top. That’s £690 for a dinner. Surely there is no culinary experience on earth worth that amount of money? A meringue?

Has anyone on here done any of these, and are they worth it? We could go abroad and get a fantastic meal somewhere in Europe for the price.
Hjem. A lot less than that as well

Raby Hunt is very good and (as you’d expect) consistent. Hjem was slightly better before it gained it’s star in my opinion, but still some outstanding flavours.

Not the best food wise, but as an overall experience, L’Enclume is sublime.

In relation to if it’s worth it, I can enjoy a burger meal at a good eatery if that’s the mood I’m in, but you pay top dollar to experience flavours you would never outside of these establishments.

I’ve been to house of tides, our lass had a 150 quid voucher and our bill was about another £400 on top of that iirc, we did tasting menu and wine pairing, cheese course etc full lot

I didn’t really enjoy it if I’m honest, if you like that sort of thing good luck to you but I didn’t really enjoy all the chatter with the servers and the sommelier, was like being part of a performance, I haven’t got a clue about wines and don’t really care, felt like I needed to humour the kid. The food was unbelievably good mind just not my thing as an experience, I couldn’t properly enjoy it knowing we could have had a weekend away somewhere for the price.

had a better meal at peace and loaf as well though didn’t do tasting menu there

not in a rush to go back to a Michelin star restaurant any time soon, it’s a major splurge I couldn’t justify at the minute

Went to Trakol a couple of weeks ago. Nice and on a decent day it’s canny having a beer outside after 👍
Is a bit pricey mind. Well I’m tight.

Last edited:
I’ve been to house of tides, our lass had a 150 quid voucher and our bill was about another £400 on top of that iirc, we did tasting menu and wine pairing, cheese course etc full lot

I didn’t really enjoy it if I’m honest, if you like that sort of thing good luck to you but I didn’t really enjoy all the chatter with the servers and the sommelier, was like being part of a performance, I haven’t got a clue about wines and don’t really care, felt like I needed to humour the kid. The food was unbelievably good mind just not my thing as an experience, I couldn’t properly enjoy it knowing we could have had a weekend away somewhere for the price.

had a better meal at peace and loaf as well though didn’t do tasting menu there

not in a rush to go back to a Michelin star restaurant any time soon, it’s a major splurge I couldn’t justify at the minute

thats it like, you need to quite knowledgeable on wine prior to going to get your moneys worth from the wine tasting. and don't go to the tasting menu hungry. you need to really eat slowly and let the flavours immerse themselves into your senses. you need to be in the right mood and also be interested enough to appreciate what the chef is doing, to get value for your £400.

i've been to a few and said to our lass a while back that i just dont find them value for money, for me personally. food is clearly amazing though

slightly off topic but we went to Spent Grain in sunderland on the thursday night and it was really top notch. just really liked everything about the place, the staff, the atmos and the food especially. really good quality all over. not sure there is anywhere like it in the town. praying it doesnt go the same as so many others in the town. i'm going to make an effort to try and go once a month at least
I havent heard of the place. Where is it?

Looking at taking the wife somewhere special for our anniversary meal, but some of the prices are astronomical. For example, the Raby Hunt starts at £220 each, and then £125 each for wine on top. That’s £690 for a dinner. Surely there is no culinary experience on earth worth that amount of money? A meringue?

Has anyone on here done any of these, and are they worth it? We could go abroad and get a fantastic meal somewhere in Europe for the price.

The Curious Mr Fox | Restaurant & Bar in Durham

They’ve not long opened in Durham, chef has worked around the NE and is highly thought of. I haven’t been yet but will do soon.

I havent heard of the place. Where is it?

think its John street. just up from where joplings was. the chef has that Urban Kitchen up pallion, which is also tremendous. i did a cookery experience / lesson thing there the other year, spent the night with him in the kitchen cooking all sorts. my lass bought me it for xmas. was class.

a one of the list of 'if it was in london it would be a goldmine'

What do you wear to these places? I’d feel a bit out of place in my Ben Sherman shirt.
Some insist on a suit for blokes but most are ok with shirt and trousers. I went to le gavrouche a few years ago, wore a suit but got f***ing soaked on the way there. Got in, sat down and took my jacket off and the head waiter bloke came over and insisted I put the fucker back on. He didn’t mind some stuck up brats playing on their iPad but heaven forbid I could sit comfortably! Canny food tho.
12.5% service charge. I’m assuming that’s each. Sticks another £8 on top.
Most really expensive places charge a service charge on top…cheeky fuckers.

Done a couple, have a look at The Bay Horse in Hurworth, its very good. Most memorable was at the walkie talkie building in London that was unreal. Off to Marcus@The Berkeley and Elystan Street in a few weeks really looking forward to those. Also there is a huge amount of work involved with tasting menus but as an experience can't recommend one enough for a special occasion or even if you just fancy a blowout.

Going to Marcus too in July…..but will be f

I’m not a huge fan of tasting menus as I can be a picky eater - don’t really eat fish and seafood.

However, thoroughly enjoy doing some of the high-end restaurants, especially when abroad. The most memorable - Osteria Francescana in Modena. Went a couple of years ago and it was as magic. Set us back a good lump but we’ll worth it. Have had to cancel a couple of bookings owing to COVID but got another in November. I cannot wait.

Back