Metro 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree to a point . Problems with most strikes is once the public get pissed off and lose sympathy it gives the bosses the green light to turn them over , it’s a fine balancing act

its a real bone of contempt with me that modern day Britain has evolved into this ‘I’m alright jack’ mentality.
These lads have very justifiable reasons for taking action yet people care more about themselves not being able to get out on the piss.

its a real bone of contempt with me that modern day Britain has evolved into this ‘I’m alright jack’ mentality.
These lads have very justifiable reasons for taking action yet people care more about themselves not being able to get out on the piss.
The union seem to have made zero effort in explaining how this is justifiable though. You might be right, but the members need to have a good look at the union and what they are getting for their subs.

The RMT must be the most hated union, very militant by UK standards and ruin peoples commutes. And in Nexus terms harming a publicly funded not for profit organisation. They should be in PR overdrive to get the public on side but the opposite is true.

The union seem to have made zero effort in explaining how this is justifiable though. You might be right, but the members need to have a good look at the union and what they are getting for their subs.

The RMT must be the most hated union, very militant by UK standards and ruin peoples commutes. And in Nexus terms harming a publicly funded not for profit organisation. They should be in PR overdrive to get the public on side but the opposite is true.
The RMT stooge on the media last week had me wanting to punch TV. Clearly he had stood in front of the mirror for hours practicing the long words ready to be asked. It didnt matter what he was asked he just had an answer even if it bore no resemblence to the question. When asked what exactly it was the drivers wanted he couldnt give an answer. Not a good way of using the PR machine to get what you want

If they don't have to pay profits to shareholders, they must have plenty of spare cash to pay the drivers market rate. ;)

Ha'way the RMT membership. 👍
The RMT stooge on the media last week had me wanting to punch TV. Clearly he had stood in front of the mirror for hours practicing the long words ready to be asked. It didnt matter what he was asked he just had an answer even if it bore no resemblence to the question. When asked what exactly it was the drivers wanted he couldnt give an answer. Not a good way of using the PR machine to get what you want
The Nexus rep on the t.v. last week did nothing to further their cause either did he?

Both sides wanting to resolve this, but the employers doing fuck all about it, it's OK to invite each other to the negotiating table - but somebody must take the lead.
Otherwise it should end up at ACAS.

Last edited:
The Nexus rep on the t.v. last week did nothing to further their cause either did he?

Both sides wanting to resolve this, but the employers doing fuck all about it, it's OK to invite each other to the negotiating table - but somebody must take the lead.
Dont know as I didnt see the Nexus bloke. What did he say?

I’m quite supportive of the action, but I’m not sure if the 6th and 7th is a good idea. I suspect they will lose a lot of support from the public

Dont know as I didnt see the Nexus bloke. What did he say?
To the best of my recollection, - spouting the company stance of a pay rise and talks would be welcome, but they don't have the money. :rolleyes:

In my honest opinion, ACAS needs to be involved, as I am sure that this could drag on.

To the best of my recollection, - spouting the company stance of a pay rise and talks would be welcome, but they don't have the money. :rolleyes:

In my honest opinion, ACAS needs to be involved, as I am sure that this could drag on.
Did you not believe him? I am of the opinion both sides will be economical with the truth

Surely the easiest thing to do would be to publish the pay deal and then RMT publish their demands.

Last edited:
Did you not believe him? I am of the opinion both sides will be economical with the truth

Surely the easiest thing to do would be to publish the pay deal and then RMT publish their demands.

Of course they are.

Publishing demands for all and sundry to mull over is simply not the way to progress by the way.
It is between the employers and the RMT membership to sort out a deal that is beneficial to both parties.

That is the way it has gone though isn't it?
The employers have fucked-off the RMT's demands; the RMT ballot their membership correctly (unlike ASLEF did) and then set out overtime ban days and strike days. The employers do nowt and hide behind the media messages they have sent out to them, - and so it goes on.
Yeah so its not between the employer and union then is it

Pay them the going rate

Last edited:
If they don't have to pay profits to shareholders, they must have plenty of spare cash to pay the drivers market rate. ;)
They are well paid by North East standards. From what I gather (I might be wrong) they want similar pay to other regions. But other regions have a higher cost of living. Not sure if they have higher fares too or not.
Ha'way the RMT membership. 👍

But the problem you have mate is that Nexus don't need to further their cause. The public supports them and not the union. A headline of refusing a 15% pay rise (or whatever it is) is outrageous to most public. They don't need to say anything else.

Last edited:
They are well paid by North East standards. From what I gather (I might be wrong) they want similar pay to other regions. But other regions have a higher cost of living. Not sure if they have higher fares too or not.

But the problem you have mate is that Nexus don't need to further their cause. The public supports them and not the union. A headline of refusing a 15% pay rise (or whatever it is) is outrageous to most public. They don't need to say anything else.
How you asked the public about supporting Nexus like?
Or is just your own personal opinion?
The media have been very economical with putting the RMT's side of the argument across - especially the Echo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back