Methven on Radio Newcastle

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s not much of a Public Relations professional is he? :)
It would appear he didn’t do enough research into the people he would be dealing with. That coupled with a touch of arrogance proved to be his downfall. It’s ok coming to a club and making a good first impression given were desperate for the same thing, sustainable success and an end to years of upheaval, it isn’t hard to to convince people you can deliver what they want. Thing is, talking about it is one thing, actually doing it is way more challenging. He greatly underestimated how astute our fan base are. He could convince us for a while but he never had the means to bring it off. Once people started to look a bit more closely and start asking pointed questions, the cracks started to show. When the pressure was ratcheted up he bolted.

He’s not much of a Public Relations professional is he? :)
Have you seen who is PR firm represents? Private clubs and the like, including Skibo Castle. A very specific bunch of people, don't think he is every done PR for the general population.

Weirdly I can't find the Dragon website anymore :confused: Methven doesnt appear popular on glass ceiling, but that could just be disgruntled ex employees.

Have you seen who is PR firm represents? Private clubs and the like, including Skibo Castle. A very specific bunch of people, don't think he is every done PR for the general population.

Weirdly I can't find the Dragon website anymore :confused: Methven doesnt appear popular on glass ceiling, but that could just be disgruntled ex employees.
The website has definitely been taken down and his ex employees accuse Methven of being abusive, controlling, arrogant unorganised and quick tempered. Some of those traits hes has shown towards fans so I can well believe it. The only review I can find endorsing it comes across as being written by the management to refute those claims

At the end of the day Methven is now only a shareholder in our club.

He hasn't got a say in the running of the club anymore so will do his best now that he is out to agitate/shit stir and to try and get the club sold to the highest bidder, irrelevant of their intentions or character.

It is in his interests that Donald and the fans never repair their relationship.

He doesn't have much personal wealth and this was his meal ticket

Remember that every time he opens his slack jawed mouth

The website has definitely been taken down and his ex employees accuse Methven of being abusive, controlling, arrogant unorganised and quick tempered. Some of those traits hes has shown towards fans so I can well believe it. The only review I can find endorsing it comes across as being written by the management to refute those claims
I find that really weird, although could have nowt to do owt like.

Wasn't private eye pretty scathing of him as well? Think @West_Winger has mentioned it in the past

Weird to discover that a guy who's self-professed speciality is distorting the public's perception of things for large amounts of money turned out to be a dishonest charlatan.

It would appear he didn’t do enough research into the people he would be dealing with. That coupled with a touch of arrogance proved to be his downfall. It’s ok coming to a club and making a good first impression given were desperate for the same thing, sustainable success and an end to years of upheaval, it isn’t hard to to convince people you can deliver what they want. Thing is, talking about it is one thing, actually doing it is way more challenging. He greatly underestimated how astute our fan base are. He could convince us for a while but he never had the means to bring it off. Once people started to look a bit more closely and start asking pointed questions, the cracks started to show. When the pressure was ratcheted up he bolted.

Good post

I find that really weird, although could have nowt to do owt like.

Wasn't private eye pretty scathing of him as well? Think @West_Winger has mentioned it in the past

If this review on glassdoor is anything to go by it sounds like everyone has quit so wonder the website has gone.

'Cons

I thought Dragon could have been a good company to work for and for its clients if left to be run by its employees, most of which were great people. However its owner Charlie Methven is one of the most unpleasant people I have ever met and is loathed by the staff, most if not all of which have left the firm now or are in the process of doing so. Having had as many as 14 people on the team when I joined there is hardly anyone left any more including its longest serving people. To say that he is very aggressive would be an understatement and he is famous for his uncontrollable violent temper and abusive emails to staff, which is a matter of public record as it has been commented on in Private Eye several times in the past. I have worked for other PR businesses and never known any so quick to take so many of its clients to court, most often when they are refusing to pay because of Methven's shocking management and client service, and I felt that this overly aggressive approach reflected badly on me professionally. He also fired and tried to sue two department heads although I don't think he got anywhere with it. This was unresolved by the time I left and I could not get out quick enough. I would caution anyone from considering working at Dragon because of the toxic working environment and terrible management attitude.

Advice to Management

I can't think of anything that would make things better unless Methven had nothing to do with the company which won't happen because he owns it.'

Not saying this applies to Methven or he might sue me but you don't really get to see anyone's true personality until you have worked with them for a while

Researchers Paul Babiak and Robert Hare have long studied psychopaths. Hare, the author of Without Conscience, is a world-renowned expert on psychopathy, and Babiak is an industrial-organizational psychologist. Recently the two came together to study how psychopaths operate in corporations, and the results were surprising. They found that it's exactly the modern, open, more flexible corporate world, in which high risks can equal high profits, that attracts psychopaths. They may enter as rising stars and corporate saviors, but all too soon they're abusing the trust of colleagues, manipulating supervisors, and leaving the workplace in shambles.

Snakes in Suits is a compelling, frightening, and scientifically sound look at exactly how psychopaths work in the corporate environment: what kind of companies attract them, how they negotiate the hiring process, and how they function day by day. You'll learn how they apply their "instinctive" manipulation techniques - assessing potential targets, controlling influential victims, and abandoning those no longer useful - to business processes such as hiring

Last edited:
Weird to discover that a guy who's self-professed speciality is distorting the public's perception of things for large amounts of money turned out to be a dishonest charlatan.
Amusing and insightful. Pity I couldn't give you 2 likes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back