Me Lad's going to Durham University

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nee worries...He got History, Politics and English A's and will study Anthropology

I'm still buzzin' like :D

My daughter is studying anthropology at UCL about to start her final year - seems like a very interesting and challenging course

I know a couple of people who work at Salford Uni. It's got to the stage now where they're pretty much spoon feeding them everything they need.
I find it very worrying that these people are allowed near dangerous chemicals when they probably haven't a fantastic grasp of science, or in some cases English, or possibly both.
I actually feel a bit sorry for some of them, but it's turned students into customers and it's ridiculous

The fees are so huge for foreign students the universities (and public schools it seems) are actively recruiting as many as they can as far as I can see - loads of adverts for U.K. Universities around in China. I guess if they all fail it is bad for business so I suspect there is a lot of truth in your post. Sad state of affairs really

Last edited:
My daughter is studying anthropology at UCL about to start her final year - seems like a very interesting and challenging course

Good luck to her

The fees are so huge for foreign students the universities (and public schools it seems) are actively recruiting as many as they can as far as I can see - loads of adverts for U.K. Universities around in China. I guess if they all fail it is bad for business so I suspect there is a lot of truth in your post. Sad state of affairs really

Superb course. Im a psychologist myself.
Thanks for this, He's well excited about all this

It's been going that way for quite some time. I think there's a certain level of pressure on some of the students as in some cases their village has chipped in to send them here, but so many of them are not equipped to do the course by the sound of things.
I'd actually say it's dangerous, but from what I recall, there's now far less practical work and more textbook and essays stuff so they don't get to handle many things that could blow up Salford.

Also I did sociology and social anthropology at Uni.
Very interesting but there's some eyeopening customs around the world which I probably could have gone my whole life not knowing about!
Interesting course though.

Superb course. Im a psychologist myself.

Booooooo! :lol::lol:

It's been going that way for quite some time. I think there's a certain level of pressure on some of the students as in some cases their village has chipped in to send them here, but so many of them are not equipped to do the course by the sound of things.
I'd actually say it's dangerous, but from what I recall, there's now far less practical work and more textbook and essays stuff so they don't get to handle many things that could blow up Salford.

Also I did sociology and social anthropology at Uni.
Very interesting but there's some eyeopening customs around the world which I probably could have gone my whole life not knowing about!
Interesting course though.

If you look around on line, there are stories where communities have chipped in to afford to send a gifted lad or lass abroad to Uni. In return, a portion of his or her eventual salary is shared amongst the community in order to maintain a relatively reasonable standard of living and perhaps fund further students from that community. I guess they would work hard in order not to let their community back home down. The example I read was about a lad from Pakistan.

The people my mate discussed seemingly were in some cases the children of well to do people and as long as they got their bit of paper, just basically did as they pleased. He commented this included plagiarising from the Internet especially for dissertation work they had not done because they were using their project period to work in call centres (still prestigious in India).

The purpose of getting a degree at an English University was more so they could take their place in the family business rather than what skills they could acquire. Apparently, their parents wanted the piece of paper with degree on so when junior came home and joined the family business, rivals would be impressed by their English education and supposedly less likely to rip them off.

My son has secured his place at Newcastle University, his first choice uni for his Computer Science degree he preferred it to Durham and Edinburgh, I would of loved it all of them.

FFS!!! :lol:

Okay, I'm out of work due to redundancy.

Ages ago, I did a Masters (1990s), however, feedback I'm getting from job interviews indicates my skills are out of date.

I've been told due to this Masters way back, I cannot get a post-graduate student loan to retrain. I get the reason, to prevent professional students.

Yet undergrads can get two loans.

I should be allowed at least to apply on a discretionary basis, as I'm in the situation I'm in due to no fault of my own.

The system takes the piss and people under certain circumstances can take the piss out of it.
They can't. Everybody has an entitlement of their course +1 year. If somebody has spent 2 years at undergraduate doing a standard 3 year programme, and then for whatever reason start again somewhere else, they'll not be funded for the full degree, they'll have to self-fund for a year.

They can't. Everybody has an entitlement of their course +1 year. If somebody has spent 2 years at undergraduate doing a standard 3 year programme, and then for whatever reason start again somewhere else, they'll not be funded for the full degree, they'll have to self-fund for a year.

Yep, @Frijj clarified that above and I've been digging around myself. Basically, you get the one loan then only get another loan for certian courses like nursing or teaching.

The rules are quite clear on digging around. You can only take out one loan covering a maximum of four years for a given level of qualification and only if you don't have an equivalent or higher qualification already. The same applies to undergrad and post-grad loans. You can take out a loan for a post-grad course follwing on from a loan for an undergrad course if you are progressing to say Masters, but not undergrad then undergrad, or postgrad then postgrad loans.

This rule applies whether or not you took out a loan for the original qualification at that given level.

There are other exceptions, where loans can be obtained for Open University fees to do distance learning on certain courses. There's a list on the Open University website.

http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/fees-and-funding/equivalent-qualifications

Last edited:
The rule is Hatfield/castle(university college) first, then Bailey colleges (on the old Bailey road). Hill colleges tend to be pretty naff past Gray. St Marys (the on between one) looks great but has an awful bar and social life.

I don't subscribe to the first post that mentioned everyone at Durham being knobs but you'll find the highest percentage of those knobs at Hatfield / Castle mind. There is a large amount of very entitled young people arrive at those colleges.

Students who aren't Rah's get bullied mercilessly, particularly the intelligent ones as money buys grades not brains dahling.

And that's just from the staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back