Me Lad's going to Durham University

Status
Not open for further replies.

My youngest is going to be doing a veterinary degree at Glasgow. Got AAB, needed 3 A's but still accepted. Chuffed for him, grafted his nuts off.

We took him out for a celebratory tea yesterday and I found out that he actually needed AA and an A star for Glasgow but still got on the course. It was 3 AAA's for Liverpool and they too offered him a spot.

He only has 3 weeks to get his shit together and unfortunately I'm in Kos when he starts. The good lady is running the Glasgow half marathon 1st October so that's a good excuse to go to visit.

Bollocks. I just graduated there in June with a first. I often felt I stood out in what was a very middle class community because of my working class background, but I didn't feel the brunt of anyone for that be it students or staff. I knew a lad there who had came from Eton, he was a stuck up little wanker but honestly, it was a privilege to attend that institution.

Yes, the "culture" is different, but that is not a serious reason to discourage anyone and there is no class based bullying.
So you claimed there isn't a class issue at Durham University before describing specific examples of a class issue and a general culture of making working class kids feel 'different'.

As an institution it represents everything I abhor.

And Durham as a city is little more than a toff's theme park these days.

Gone are the days of it being a community city.

Had a real class and anti-local issue when I was there. I still made friends and found a place to fit in but it was quite open at points - to the point I'd get told in discussions that my opinion didn't count because "in the parts of the country that matter..." and shite like that. I just enjoyed fighting back and challenging it a lot - especially since I was at one of the "posh" colleges.

So you claimed there isn't a class issue at Durham University before describing specific examples of a class issue and a general culture of making working class kids feel 'different'.

No, this was just something I personally felt on the inside in relation my environment, nobody discriminated against me, bullied me or shunned me over it.

It is a fantastic institution and nobody should be put off.

Had a real class and anti-local issue when I was there. I still made friends and found a place to fit in but it was quite open at points - to the point I'd get told in discussions that my opinion didn't count because "in the parts of the country that matter..." and shite like that. I just enjoyed fighting back and challenging it a lot - especially since I was at one of the "posh" colleges.
Anyone bright enough to get into a top University should be bright enough to cope with class discrimination and the reasons for it.

Toffs from the surrounding areas like Bearpark?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back