McLaughlin contract

Surely now the window is shut, someone at the club could find some time to offer our number 1 a new contract?

I know they are desperately trying to sell the club and probably not bothered about the playing staff next season, but it is a joke that this isn't sorted one way or the other.

Is he good enough for the Champo?

Personally I'm not sure we want to be tying League One players down to long term deals. We could do with the wiggle room if we do go up.

It's the same as loans in this league; I don't get why people moan about them - in our position they make perfect sense.
I'd agree normally however McLaughlin could play Championship football no problem

I'd agree normally however McLaughlin could play Championship football no problem
.he was there for a bit adnd even when available on a free..he hadnt done enough for a champo team to want him..he is older now..
great shot stopper terreible distribution..
distribution matters less in the hoff ball leagues..
but more in the champo..or at least the end of the champo that could afford to outbid us for mcloughling..

.he was there for a bit adnd even when available on a free..he hadnt done enough for a champo team to want him..he is older now..
great shot stopper terreible distribution..
distribution matters less in the hoff ball leagues..
but more in the champo..or at least the end of the champo that could afford to outbid us for mcloughling..
He's good enough. Its very evident. Don't bother with a long winded reply.

He's good enough. Its very evident. Don't bother with a long winded reply.
evident to everyone except the people in charge of signing goalkeepers for championship clubs who have refused to have him for nowt despite having three opportunites to do so in rceent years..

and he is older now..

but aye you knows better than every champo scoit 9you probably do know better than hoever was scouting safc keepers under coleamn like-they must not have actually known what a keeper does)

Personally I'm not sure we want to be tying League One players down to long term deals. We could do with the wiggle room if we do go up.

It's the same as loans in this league; I don't get why people moan about them - in our position they make perfect sense.

Folks on here calling for his head a coupla months ago :(:(:(:(

evident to everyone except the people in charge of signing goalkeepers for championship clubs who have refused to have him for nowt despite having three opportunites to do so in rceent years..

and he is older now..

but aye you knows better than every champo scoit 9you probably do know better than hoever was scouting safc keepers under coleamn like-they must not have actually known what a keeper does)

recent*
scout*
however*
Coleman*

Haway man Charlie

and he is older now..

Well "champo" scouts have signed Camp and Steele in recent times. So forgive me for thinking that argument is ludicrous. Carry on though

whats shocking is john mac was vavailable on a free the year we were in the champo and somene ast saf thought jason steele was a better option!

and our scouts we have now get stick!

*Available
*at
*SAFC

SAF!? Haway man you own 6% and you can't even spell SAFC right.

Agree about Steele but that sums up our leadership, scouts, recruitment and owners.

THE scout. And that's the problem we neglected scouting and striped back when it's a massive part of any football club.
we have more than one now and always have had. thats an example of the lies spread by those with an agenda.

the scouts we havd before what we have now did a worse job than what we have now..the scouting departmeent,,,which has always had more than one scout..is doing an ok job now..the ranfer strategy is shit now..but the player idenitification is pretty decent..lots of the players that have come in..especially the permanents..have been very good..

when there were lots more of them under ellis..they did an horrnedous job..as exemplified by the fact we only made a profit on what one player on eight years..

the ones we have now are average at worst..waht we had before was abysmal..

Not a clue tbh. Blackburn were interested in him in January so he could go there maybe.

My post was just trying to highlight he has history for not signing contracts so IF he does leave on a free it might not necessarily be SAFC's fault as he has done it at previous clubs. Billy Jones did the same throughout his career.
Or with jones, no bugger could sell him!

we have more than one now and always have had. thats an example of the lies spread by those with an agenda.

the scouts we havd before what we have now did a worse job than what we have now..the scouting departmeent,,,which has always had more than one scout..is doing an ok job now..the ranfer strategy is shit now..but the player idenitification is pretty decent..lots of the players that have come in..especially the permanents..have been very good..

when there were lots more of them under ellis..they did an horrnedous job..as exemplified by the fact we only made a profit on what one player on eight years..

the ones we have now are average at worst..waht we had before was abysmal..
It's not a lie at all. What happened under Short is irrelevant to what Donald is doing or done. Scouting was stripped back to a ridiculous low level and it shouldn't have been. You can make as many excuses as you like but it was inexcusable

It's not a lie at all. What happened under Short is irrelevant to what Donald is doing or done. Scouting was stripped back to a ridiculous low level and it shouldn't have been. You can make as many excuses as you like but it was inexcusable
we have always had more than one scout.
scouting was stripped back because the chief scout thought all of the ones he inheirted were shit..and they were. it then takes time to hire more people. Of course a comparison with ellis is relevant...thsat was the practice SD deviated from..to say SD is wrong you have to compare with the status quo he abandoned...and the stats quo he abandoned was demonstrably worse than what SD put in..thats simply a fact. Therefore on scouting (rather than recruitment in the borader sense) the new ownrs have done aa better job than the previous owner. The new chief scout has done a better job than his predescessor..albeit Coton has had a much larger budget for the league we are in than mcdermott had in the league above, so Cotons job, by having more relative resources, not fewer as the liars would have it, has been easier than mcdermotts. And even with those advantages, Coton and his team have only done a mediocre job. But McDermott and his team did a worse than mediocre job. Therefore the scouting departement now is superior in outcome to the scouting department SD inheirted...therefore he has improved it.

any evidence we have ever had fewer scouts than those around us in this league? i doubt it.

we have always had more than one scout.
scouting was stripped back because the chief scout thought all of the ones he inheirted were shit..and they were. it then takes time to hire more people. Of course a comparison with ellis is relevant...thsat was the practice SD deviated from..to say SD is wrong you have to compare with the status quo he abandoned...and the stats quo he abandoned was demonstrably worse than what SD put in..thats simply a fact. Therefore on scouting (rather than recruitment in the borader sense) the new ownrs have done aa better job than the previous owner. The new chief scout has done a better job than his predescessor..albeit Coton has had a much larger budget for the league we are in than mcdermott had in the league above, so Cotons job, by having more relative resources, not fewer as the liars would have it, has been easier than mcdermotts. And even with those advantages, Coton and his team have only done a mediocre job. But McDermott and his team did a worse than mediocre job. Therefore the scouting departement now is superior in outcome to the scouting department SD inheirted...therefore he has improved it.

any evidence we have ever had fewer scouts than those around us in this league? i doubt it.
Listen back to Donald's podcasts sunshine. Then come back and we'll discuss it.

Oh and forget about what's heppened previously, it's completely irrelevant

Last edited:
What we need and what we are capable of are massively different, and where have I mentioned long term contracts? I mentioned long term planning the planning for next season is clearly not even there, I'm saying rather than starting the summer with a threadbare squad again try to keep it as it is (so only 1year extensions with potential clauses) and add quality not sniffing round for quantity that we have done time and again and acquired shite,

Says who? Just because you don't know what the plan is it doesn't mean there isn't one.

I'm not having a go here by the way because you are right our recruitment hasn't been good enough for years. But I think most people would say January seemed to be an improvement.

Seeing where we are at the end of the season seems reasonable to me before offering 8/9 players new contracts. If we go up, then only the ones we think can make the step up get a new contract. If we don't then maybe we are more pragmatic and give a few more players another year.

Back