McGeady & Maguire sitting in Macdonald's

Players like Maguire tend not to be consistent firstly. I mean he can be decent on the ball in the final third on occasions, but even that's just on occasions, but hes not stand out and his game is limited to being niggly and having an eye for a pass or a shot near the opponents box, so he's never going to be consistent at the higher levels. Hes just not got enough about him. Hes not got pace either, maybe you could question his fitness - not sure, but its not the determining factor in the level hes played even allowing for the fine margins extra fitness might bring.

I dont think theres been any fitness issues at all with Mcgeady this season. Hes been shit, but hes as fit as almost anyone at the club and hes 34.
I hear what you are saying but the point I was trying to make was if he Mcguire had a desire to be fitter he may also have a desire to be better which seems to be a prerequisite of all top players.He definitely on occasions been outstanding.This is a bloke who was nicknamed the King by some.

Agree with Mcgeady never questioned his physique or fitness

It's not a great example to set as senior players really. That said, they have to eat and the other options at Woodall are KFC, WH Smiths and Subway and the latter isn't open on an evening. So I'm unwilling to pillory them if the club isn't planning for food on the long journey home

The day before a pre-season game one of my mates seen Magure in Pizza King in Houghton. The day before a game where they're supposed to be getting fit in preparation for the season. I get the attitude of 'oh it's just a burger' and if they looked fit I wouldn't care but the fact is they don't.

Whilst I don't see a problem in isolation (I'm no nutritionist mind), the condition of Maguire and McNulty in partiular this season, suggests this isn't an isolated occurrence.
There's something wrong in this day and age for a professional sportsman to have kites like they have. McGeady has looked fucked after about 20 minutes all season as well.

Didn't Wenger 'revolutionise' football back in the mid 90's? Introducing strict diets, banning ketchup, limiting alcohol consumtion etc... Paving way for the advent of sport science and new techniques etc..

The fact we are in league one should make no difference. These players should not be eating that shite. Especially in public after another defeat. It just shows that they don't care, or even worse, they're too stupid to realise how it would be percieved.

I work in an office and even I try and limit my alcohol and fast food consumption so I don't feel like crap in work. It's called professional pride and valuing your own performance. These knackers are supposed to be professional athletes FFS. They is simply no excuse. Utterly shameful.

When you're on a run like we are, these little things can make a difference. No fast food and booze until we win a game should be standard practice when you're on a 6-7 game losing streak.
FFS man get a grip , they had burger n fries . Some absolute fannies on here.

The day before a pre-season game one of my mates seen Magure in Pizza King in Houghton. The day before a game where they're supposed to be getting fit in preparation for the season. I get the attitude of 'oh it's just a burger' and if they looked fit I wouldn't care but the fact is they don't.

Picking one of the mankiest pizza shops in the Northeast as well the scruffy fat kernt.

FFS man get a grip , they had burger n fries . Some absolute fannies on here.

And that's the exact type of attitude that has got us where we are now. Accepting any old shite. 'Its only a burger' 'it's only a few pints'. SAFC is not a serious organisation, that's the bottom line. The players and staff do what the fuck they want without any master plan or care af discipline and results, while the likes of wycombe, burton, fleetwood and luton stroll past us with their professional and modern attitudes

Whilst I don't see a problem in isolation (I'm no nutritionist mind), the condition of Maguire and McNulty in partiular this season, suggests this isn't an isolated occurrence.
There's something wrong in this day and age for a professional sportsman to have kites like they have. McGeady has looked fucked after about 20 minutes all season as well.

Maguire is fatter than me and my diet is shite, I drink too much and hardly exercise. I reckon it takes some doing as a sportsman to be fat.

You’re right - and you can add McNulty and Grigg to the list of forwards who are getting fatter the longer they play here.

And that's the exact type of attitude that has got us where we are now. Accepting any old shite. 'Its only a burger' 'it's only a few pints'. SAFC is not a serious organisation, that's the bottom line. The players and staff do what the fuck they want without any master plan or care af discipline and results, while the likes of wycombe, burton, fleetwood and luton stroll past us with their professional and modern attitudes
Am sorry but that's bollox , you and I don't know what other teams attitudes are at all . I repeat the were having a BURGER , it's a non story.

You’re right - and you can add McNulty and Grigg to the list of forwards who are getting fatter the longer they play here.
They should be skinny as fuck, they only feed off scraps.
Am sorry but that's bollox , you and I don't know what other teams attitudes are at all . I repeat the were having a BURGER , it's a non story.
Well they clearly have better attitudes than our players hence the results.

Last edited:

maybe to you its a non-story. if i was a business owner, or a manager of a team, i'd expect the highest levels of attitude toward every aspect of each members role within that team. that is the only way to achieve success. as has been pointed out, its the symbolism of it, rather than the specific particulars

are you honestly suggesting that the likes of Luton, Chartlon etc.. last season didn't all look 10x fitter, sharper, stronger, faster and more athletic than us in every single way? that isn't just a natural occurrence, its a result of having professionalism running through an organisation

Back