Match day superstitions and rituals

in the past If we'd won I would try and retrace my last movements going into the next match, including wearing the right scarf, badge, boots/shoes/Jeans.. well you get it... However after being to Wembley 6 feckin times and never seen us win I've now decided that I now don't give a shit anymore and it feels so much better :lol:

Certain clothes or pubs get retired after a heavy defeat or series of defeats

I bought the 1973 Home shirt for the Checkatrade Final and also wore it to the Covnetry gamne. Naturally that has been retired and never to be worn again
Used to go to Poetic Licence before the game until we lost 0-4 v Southampton
Currently I drive to the ground via Roker/Seaburn rather than the 1231 as we're unbeaten in games where I've done that (I didn't drive to the Coventry game so that doens't count)
Used to park outside Roker Pie Shop (or as near as possible) until we started losing home game after home game under Grayson

Certain clothes or pubs get retired after a heavy defeat or series of defeats

I bought the 1973 Home shirt for the Checkatrade Final and also wore it to the Covnetry gamne. Naturally that has been retired and never to be worn again
Used to go to Poetic Licence before the game until we lost 0-4 v Southampton
Currently I drive to the ground via Roker/Seaburn rather than the 1231 as we're unbeaten in games where I've done that (I didn't drive to the Coventry game so that doens't count)
Used to park outside Roker Pie Shop (or as near as possible) until we started losing home game after home game under Grayson
I did exactly that too . Was in lillywhite sport shop the day before wembley and bought the 73 cup final shirt for 15 quid and wore it instead of what I was planning . Wore it again for the cov match and now needless to say I won't ever be wearing it again for a game.

I did exactly that too . Was in lillywhite sport shop the day before wembley and bought the 73 cup final shirt for 15 quid and wore it instead of what I was planning . Wore it again for the cov match and now needless to say I won't ever be wearing it again for a game.
Might give mine to my son to make up for his Grandma washing his (my) signed Quinny shirt :eek:

Hello everyone, I’m helping my friend do some research for a college project that he’s doing and was wondering if any of you had any funny or strange match day superstitions or rituals that you don’t mind sharing please? Cheers all

I always buy a bottle of Diet Coke. No idea why as I have pints before during and sometimes after

Always put a quid or so in the charity buckets. I noticed a pattern of defeats whenever I put any money in them, so have always had to pass the money to someone else to put in the bucket from then on. We still bloody lose and I look like a tight bastard putting no money in. :lol:

Last edited:
First game ever at the Riverside v Chelsea. They had a corner and I whispered to myself " come on lads keep them out ". We did and I had to say that at every corner against us for 2 1/2 seasons before someone scored against us with a header direct from a corner :confused:

I walked up to me ma's this morning and passed a hearse outside an undertakers with a coffin in draped in a Portsmouth Football Club flag. I was gonna take a photo but thowt it would have been a bit disrespectful, but it did make me think of Leeds after the 1973 FA Cup final.

Back