Mark Wood - England's greatest cricketer

If you consider the demands placed on current cricketers and how difficult fast bowling is because he does not have the stats of others is this being overlooked?

No English cricketer in my lifetime has struck fear in opposing sides like what Wood does. That spell on the first day had players of the ilk of Khawaja, Smith just looking to survive

He makes Pat Cummins look slow
Did you type this and believe it?

I like Wood, but haway man, one really good test ( with bat and ball) and he's England's greatest cricketer :lol: :lol: :lol:

If he'd posted this a week ago he'd be carted off in a straitjacket

We got hammered 5-0 in Australia not so long ago. Wood was the best bowler on either side, so hardly a one off? that is greatness. 17 wickets at 26

Jimmy has been going to Australia for 20 years (on the basis the more you travel to a country the easier it should get) and averages 34 for context
Root has a test average of 34 in Australia, Cook 48, Pietersen 46

Root for me will never be a great until he cracks Australia. He is struggling again this series

Australia are the benchmark and sort out the good, very good and great.
Jimmy averages 35 home and away against Australia. In my view that discounts you from being a great

Last edited:
We got hammered 5-0 in Australia not so long ago. Wood was the best bowler on either side, so hardly a one off? that is greatness. 17 wickets at 26

Jimmy has been going to Australia for 20 years (on the basis the more you travel to a country the easier it should get) and averages 34 for context
Root has a test average of 34 in Australia, Cook 48, Pietersen 46

Root for me will never be a great until he cracks Australia. He is struggling again this series

Australia are the benchmark and sort out the good, very good and great.
Jimmy averages 35 home and away against Australia. In my view that discounts you from being a great
So Root and Jimmy aren’t greats but Mark Wood is and is in fact our greatest?

So Root and Jimmy aren’t greats but Mark Wood is and is in fact our greatest?
In my view they fall short of greatness because they fall short when against the best. However, that is a personal opinion which everyone is entitled to
Here this Essex boy isn’t being serious is he 😂😂😂😂😂

Root and Anderson aren’t great but mark wood is ive honestly heard it all 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Greatness could be based on a multitude of different factors. Dragging your side along against the best ala Stokes, Botham and Wood or longevity ala Anderson and Cook, or someone like KP who could get a crowd on masse to stop and watch when he was in full flow

Last edited:
In my view they fall short of greatness because they fall short when against the best. However, that is a personal opinion which everyone is entitled to

Greatness could be based on a multitude of different factors. Dragging your side along against the best ala Stokes, Botham and Wood or longevity ala Anderson and Cook, or someone like KP who could get a crowd on masse to stop and watch when he was in full flow
Mate give up man you’d be f***ing sectioned for trying to convince people mark wood is our greatest cricketer

It’s worrying you’re being serious

Mate give up man you’d be f***ing sectioned for trying to convince people mark wood is our greatest cricketer

It’s worrying you’re being serious

If you told an Australian, Jimmy and Root were our greatest ever cricketers, they would probably say the same to you

Jimmy looked innocuous over 20 years and Root scored 1 x 100 against us and ended up a rabbit for our skipper

If you told an Australian, Jimmy and Root were our greatest ever cricketers, they would probably say the same to you

Jimmy looked innocuous over 20 years and Root scored 1 x 100 against us and ended up a rabbit for our skipper
Anderson was excellent when we won there and in India probably our 2 best overseas wins. There are plenty of cricket greats who have ordinary records against others. Warne had an ordinary record against India as an example

Anderson was excellent when we won there and in India probably our 2 best overseas wins. There are plenty of cricket greats who have ordinary records against others. Warne had an ordinary record against India as an example

I recall Alastair Cook (a great in my view) leading the way and dragging the rest with him including Jimmy who has been fairly innocuous against Australia home and away for his entire career one series part. Englishman are defined by what they do against Australia as its the hardest test of all if distinguishing between the very good (Jimmy) and great (Wood)

India knew how to play leg spin better than anyone else.

Mate you’re on the windup here like give it up man you’re playing down two of the best players to ever pull on the shirt it's madness

Not playing them down at all. Both very good players but both fall short when considering greats just in my view
They both fall short when considering greats but mark wood doesn’t?

Think about what you’re saying man it’s complete nonsense

Nobody else in the world holds this opinion

Such a shame he struggled for fitness for years, he could have been England's greatest fast bowler of all time. Still a cracking player mind :cool:

Hopefully he can get another 5 years of test cricket in as he seems to look after himself

Longevity would rule Wood out for a majority of people in terms of greats as Jimmy would by his record against Australia

Back