Mark Wood - England's greatest cricketer

essex boy

Striker
If you consider the demands placed on current cricketers and how difficult fast bowling is because he does not have the stats of others is this being overlooked?

No English cricketer in my lifetime has struck fear in opposing sides like what Wood does. That spell on the first day had players of the ilk of Khawaja, Smith just looking to survive

He makes Pat Cummins look slow

If you consider the demands placed on current cricketers and how difficult fast bowling is because he does not have the stats of others is this being overlooked?

No English cricketer in my lifetime has struck fear in opposing sides like what Wood does. That spell on the first day had players of the ilk of Khawaja, Smith just looking to survive

Anderson? He strikes fear in opponents.
And I can remember Botham taking of his jumper to bowl at the Aussies who previously had been comfortable against Willis.

Or when you mean 'strike fear' are you meaning only physical fear rather than also the fear of losing your wicket? If it's the latter, then Anderson would be feared more.

Aussies aren't too bothered by fast and bouncy, that's standard fare in Oz, but if the bowler can mix in sideways movement then that's a different kettle of piscis.

Anderson? He strikes fear in opponents.
And I can remember Botham taking of his jumper to bowl at the Aussies who previously had been comfortable against Willis.

Or when you mean 'strike fear' are you meaning only physical fear rather than also the fear of losing your wicket? If it's the latter, then Anderson would be feared more.

Aussies aren't too bothered by fast and bouncy, that's standard fare in Oz, but if the bowler can mix in sideways movement then that's a different kettle of piscis.

Jimmy has been a very good bowler. Sheer pace makes even the best stand up and take note to which how many bowlers have ever been able to bowl at 95mph? It creates wickets for other bowlers

Botham played in an era with no 20/20 franchise cricket with test series not played over such a short time period. Thus could concentrate more on test cricket

Wood is a unique talent to english cricket which it has never seen before in my view. Bowling high 80s and bowling mid 90s is quite a difference at test level

I absolutely love Wood. I can't think of a sportsman I like more than him.

But haway he only just got his career average below 30. He's looked innocuous in more tests than he's looked sensational.

It's a shame he hasn't been able to stay fit as I'd love to have seen him at full pelt for 100 test matches.

He's said as much but so wish he'd listened to Mikey Holding a long time ago and shortened that run up.

Last edited:
I’ve never seen such hyperbole in a title. And I’ve been on this board a while

Terrific player, great lad, but haway
Yes a tad OTT, he should of been playing from the first test tho if he was fit, playing loads of straight up and down medium pace seamers isn’t great, you need someone with that 10mph extra to give you the X factor

Yes a tad OTT, he should of been playing from the first test tho if he was fit, playing loads of straight up and down medium pace seamers isn’t great, you need someone with that 10mph extra to give you the X factor
He wasn't fit picked up an elbow injury.

20mph difference compared to some of what Robinson has put down definitely a gamechanger.

Great thing about wood is he keeps his 90+ going throughout a test match. Where he stands out from all the other fast bowlers we've used in my time of watching cricket 2003/04 onwards.

I absolutely love Wood. I can't think of a sportsman I like more than him.

But haway he only just got his career average below 30. He's looked innocuous in more tests than he's looked sensational.

It's a shame he hasn't been able to stay fit as I'd love to have seen him at full pelt for 100 test matches.

He's said as much but so wish he'd listened to Mikey Holding a long time ago and shortened that run up.
It’s lengthening the run up that’s helped isn’t it?
Too young to have seen harmison?

Admittedly it was often slip fielders and captains who feared him as much as batsman.
When he was good he was amazing. When he was bad by Fuck he was bad

Last edited:
My favourite ever Durham player, cracking lad who's so much better than his stats suggest too, unplayable on pace and so many nicks have gone past the slips from my viewing . Still convinced he supports us or them and not Wimbledon, a fact I've pushed him on a few times over the years but he's stood his ground.

Last edited:

That’s completely OTT
Botham played in an era with no 20/20 franchise cricket with test series not played over such a short time period. Thus could concentrate more on test cricket
Plenty of mundane County Championship, JPL and Gillette Cup in between , to grind him down……but it didn’t

Last edited:
He's a proper cult hero, plays cricket with a smile on his face and a proper throwback. Wants to bowl as fast as he can and when he bats he wants to smack it as far as he can

Back