Mark Wood - England's greatest cricketer

Yes a tad OTT, he should of been playing from the first test tho if he was fit, playing loads of straight up and down medium pace seamers isnā€™t great, you need someone with that 10mph extra to give you the X factor
You'd have burnt him out at Edgbaston. He was better off out of that one. I agree it was disappointing not to see him figure at Lords though.

Wood has a career average of 27 against Australia. By comparison Jimmy is 34. Wood doesn't get the new ball and is often used when batters are set. A person's greatness is surely measured by your career against the best

What other English man has the aussies on toast past and present?

i just think the lad is absolute class, Had a huge amount of respect that night him and stokes turned up with the World cup, the lads spent hours on the field and made sure everyone who wanted a photo or autograph got one.

weve needed someone with his express pace though, i know Archer has had his injury worries but id pick Wood over him anyday, Archers drop off in pace is about 10mph from 90ish to 80ish, Woods drop off is only about 5mph

i just think the lad is absolute class, Had a huge amount of respect that night him and stokes turned up with the World cup, the lads spent hours on the field and made sure everyone who wanted a photo or autograph got one.

weve needed someone with his express pace though, i know Archer has had his injury worries but id pick Wood over him anyday, Archers drop off in pace is about 10mph from 90ish to 80ish, Woods drop off is only about 5mph
We are all losing our shit here. One persons saying hes englands best cricketer :lol: now this!?!? Wood is perfectly capable of dropping to 79mph after a few overs?

We are all losing our shit here. One persons saying hes englands best cricketer :lol: now this!?!? Wood is perfectly capable of dropping to 79mph after a few overs?

Archer was infuriating at times looked like he couldnt be arsed, but that could be because Wood always looks like he's giving it 110% throwing himself to floor,

But Archers drop off does seem to be more pronounced than Woods

Jimmy has been a very good bowler. Sheer pace makes even the best stand up and take note to which how many bowlers have ever been able to bowl at 95mph? It creates wickets for other bowlers

Botham played in an era with no 20/20 franchise cricket with test series not played over such a short time period. Thus could concentrate more on test cricket

Wood is a unique talent to english cricket which it has never seen before in my view. Bowling high 80s and bowling mid 90s is quite a difference at test level
You're right about Wood, but I'd say it takes more than sheer pace, it needs sideways movement and hitting good lengths and that was what Wood did in the first innings. I've watched Brett Lee looking pretty innocuous at 90mph.
Botham, except for one year when he decided he was a fast bowler was never fast but he was the best around and that was why the Aussies and everyone else was afraid of him, he blew teams away. 20/20 eh?
He was lots like Stokes in that he could win Test matches on his own. A better bowler, not as good with the bat, and he didn't care about his stats it was about winning matches We should all count ourselves lucky to have seen either one of them playing.

You're right about Wood, but I'd say it takes more than sheer pace, it needs sideways movement and hitting good lengths and that was what Wood did in the first innings. I've watched Brett Lee looking pretty innocuous at 90mph.
Botham, except for one year when he decided he was a fast bowler was never fast but he was the best around and that was why the Aussies and everyone else was afraid of him, he blew teams away. 20/20 eh?
He was lots like Stokes in that he could win Test matches on his own. A better bowler, not as good with the bat, and he didn't care about his stats it was about winning matches We should all count ourselves lucky to have seen either one of them playing.

Plenty of bowlers hit good lengths and get sideways movement, some more skilled it at than others. Few in the history of game hit 95mph which is the hardest part of cricket, bowling express pace as it puts a huge strain on the body. If Wood was more of a media presence like Root or Stokes he would be getting far more accolades

Going into this test we were two down, and he was the chief person responsible for winning us the game. Blowing Australia away in the first innings with their last 6 wickets contributing 20 runs. All others players bar Stokes have not come close to that level in this series

As plenty of pundits have pointed out, Wood has X Factor, the last time I heard that was for the late Shane Warne. That is the level Wood operates at if you consider Warne was Australia second greatest ever cricketer

Last edited:
If Wood was more of a media presence like Root or Stokes he would be getting far more accolades

As plenty of pundits have pointed out, Wood has X Factor, the last time I heard that was for the late Shane Warne. That is the level Wood operates at if you consider Warne was Australia second greatest ever cricketer

What a load of hyprbolic nonsense :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wood doesnt get the praise that root, stokes or warne get because he (through no fault of his own) plays a few tests per year and has a fraction of the career stats of players you're talking about.

Tell you what though; If youd swapped the fitness records of anderson and broad with onions & wood then they'd probably have had every bit as much success or more over their international career but sadly that's not been the case.

Greatest ever cricketer is a hell of a stretch, but......... I heard Dobell earlier this season say that England will never find another player harder to replace when he packs it in.... even harder than Swann, he said. He thinks Woody is England's fastest ever bowler (which he clearly is) and you can't just replace that easily.

Greatest ever cricketer is a hell of a stretch, but......... I heard Dobell earlier this season say that England will never find another player harder to replace when he packs it in.... even harder than Swann, he said. He thinks Woody is England's fastest ever bowler (which he clearly is) and you can't just replace that easily.
Dunno about fastest ever. Tyson,at his peak (1954-55), was fearfully rapid. No speed guns then of course.

I like Wood, but haway man, one really good test ( with bat and ball) and he's England's greatest cricketer :lol: :lol: :lol:

If he'd posted this a week ago he'd be carted off in a straitjacket

Back