Mackies corner area

Work on the elephant is due to begin, it should look good once the shop front has gone.

Comments on FB are the usual foaming tripe.
It'll be interesting to see how well they refurb it, shame the bottom of that facade ended up in a skip, (unless they stored it) as so much did back in the 60s, I worked on lots of beautiful buildings, that were torn apart and thrown away. The pub opposite Newcastle station springs to mind, the mirrors from behind the bar were all skipped, I was only 15 at the time, but remember thinking how wasteful it was.

I overheard an old couple yesterday mentioning one of the drawbacks to frequenting the town is as simple as car parking charges.

It was good to see quite a good number of people about for the show at the Firestation but walking around down Mackies Corner the place was almost deserted.

I overheard an old couple yesterday mentioning one of the drawbacks to frequenting the town is as simple as car parking charges.

It was good to see quite a good number of people about for the show at the Firestation but walking around down Mackies Corner the place was almost deserted.

Surely that depends which car park you go in. The council prices range from 80p - £1.50

Carparking charges must be a nightmare for councils with city centres like ours. They have to try and be more environmentally friendly, make the centre a better place for people walking but also somehow get people into the centre. Add in that the car parks will bring in decent amount of funds, which could be replaced by business rates if it was free parking but that's a long term risk. Personally I'd make it the first 2 hours free then anything after that you pay as that still gives enough time for shopping/food but people can't then abuse the system.

Carparking charges must be a nightmare for councils with city centres like ours. They have to try and be more environmentally friendly, make the centre a better place for people walking but also somehow get people into the centre. Add in that the car parks will bring in decent amount of funds, which could be replaced by business rates if it was free parking but that's a long term risk. Personally I'd make it the first 2 hours free then anything after that you pay as that still gives enough time for shopping/food but people can't then abuse the system.
Last time I parked it was free as I went to the cinema, not sure how they subsidise it.

Last time I parked it was free as I went to the cinema, not sure how they subsidise it.
Do you still need to get the business you are attending to scan the ticket? I know that was the system a few years back and least that way they could see x% used Nandos, x% used the cinema and I guess each business paid a fraction of what the customer saved, sadly that wouldnt really work at St Marys if you had the whole town in on the scheme.

Do you still need to get the business you are attending to scan the ticket? I know that was the system a few years back and least that way they could see x% used Nandos, x% used the cinema and I guess each business paid a fraction of what the customer saved, sadly that wouldnt really work at St Marys if you had the whole town in on the scheme.
You got another ticket at the cinema and took it to the counter along with the original, it was a good job I didn’t bin it.

Walked past the German kebab place earlier not open yet but people inside probably doing the finishing touches.

They were working on the old JJB shop re new pub/club too.
Do you think there’s enough numbers to make these places work?

Years ago we’d leave that area till last Chambers/Gossips the Blue Monkey after Gillespies but it was lively with youngens back then and that has been somewhat of a dying trend over a generation.

Fast forward 30 years there’s more bars than ever there is there something going on I’m missing?

I walked into town late on from Roker not too long ago and that part of town was dead on a Saturday night, is it just a case of more bars creating those numbers and owners speculating or has the boat well and truly sailed?

Do you think there’s enough numbers to make these places work?

Years ago we’d leave that area till last Chambers/Gossips the Blue Monkey after Gillespies but it was lively with youngens back then and that has been somewhat of a dying trend over a generation.

Fast forward 30 years there’s more bars than ever there is there something going on I’m missing?

I walked into town late on from Roker not too long ago and that part of town was dead on a Saturday night, is it just a case of more bars creating those numbers and owners speculating or has the boat well and truly sailed?

It’s the walk to the stadium for most so it’ll do well on Saturdays at least.

Back