Mackies corner area

The bloke just loves a piss and moan either way tbf.
Binns was up there with John Lewis for the stuff it sold. Bars were chockful every weekend.

Holmeside was full of clothes shops and other decent places. It was a proper Town.
The bloke just loves a piss and moan either way tbf.
I was in Sunderland at weekend after match with some Plymouth fans and it was great crack.

Binns was up there with John Lewis for the stuff it sold. Bars were chockful every weekend.

Holmeside was full of clothes shops and other decent places. It was a proper Town.

I was in Sunderland at weekend after match with some Plymouth fans and it was great crack.
You could leave your front door unlocked as well. Summers were always sunny.

The town is certainly moving in the right direction imo.

It isn't rose tinted specs. Town was a fully functioning hub for people to come into from quite a way away.
I was just joshing. Pretty much every town was like that. It's a shame how it's gone but it is what it is. Positive steps are being made but some will just continue to piss and moan. Imagine being embarrassed to take friends/colleagues for a few drinks/food in Sunderland tho? That's the shit I'm talking about from him. :lol:

I was just joshing. Pretty much every town was like that. It's a shame how it's gone but it is what it is. Positive steps are being made but some will just continue to piss and moan. Imagine being embarrassed to take friends/colleagues for a few drinks/food in Sunderland tho? That's the shit I'm talking about from him. :lol:
I agree the place is on the up. The Fire Station is one brilliant example.

Imagine being embarrassed to take friends/colleagues for a few drinks/food in Sunderland tho?
My missus actually came out with that line a few years ago when it was the North-East branch of their homeworking group who were organising their annual get-together.

She was fretting that it wouldn't be up to the standards expected by some of the London- and Manchester-based staff.

I told her to stop being pathetic and get her head out of her arse - it's not the surroundings that make a great night, it's the company you're in.

When I picked her up at the end of the do I asked her how it had gone - Quelle surprise. they'd all had a great night. The ones she was worried about said they'd had a whale of a time and compared it favourably to Newcastle which, according to them, was too far up it's own backside a lot of the time, full of people too bothered about where they were and what it looked like to actually just enjoy the night out.

My missus actually came out with that line a few years ago when it was the North-East branch of their homeworking group who were organising their annual get-together.

She was fretting that it wouldn't be up to the standards expected by some of the London- and Manchester-based staff.

I told her to stop being pathetic and get her head out of her arse - it's not the surroundings that make a great night, it's the company you're in.

When I picked her up at the end of the do I asked her how it had gone - Quelle surprise. they'd all had a great night. The ones she was worried about said they'd had a whale of a time and compared it favourably to Newcastle which, according to them, was too far up it's own backside a lot of the time, full of people too bothered about where they were and what it looked like to actually just enjoy the night out.

Brilliant post and so true.

My point/s exactly.

I was in here yesterday nice food and lovely staff.

Home - Betsy Jenny Well-Being Cafe

betsyjennywellbeingcafe.com
After Steven, founder, sought counselling himself after losing both his parents and son within the space of 2 years, he realised the lack of mental health provision, without extensive waiting lists for the community of Sunderland and the idea was formed to create Betsy Jenny Counselling and Wellbeing Café.

In some people’s minds Metro made it easier to travel to Newcastle despite there being a fully functioning train service then
Of course it does. Trains ran 2 an hour if that, metros run 5x an hour and are quicker. There are also more stations. Previously you would have had to get a bus to Sunderland Station from say Pallion then wait for a train. Now it takes just over half an hour by Metro.

Last edited:

Back