Mackday Meldrew - Crewe Alexandra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doesn't make sense that.

:lol: Canny.
So we’ve conceded the least goals in the league, created the most and best chances in the league by a distance (as per xG created), have the leagues greatest ever striker, yet we’re struggling to get into the top 6? Something a bit off there mate. Maybe need to think a bit harder

So we’ve conceded the least goals in the league, created the most and best chances in the league by a distance (as per xG created), have the leagues greatest ever striker, yet we’re struggling to get into the top 6? Something a bit off there mate. Maybe need to think a bit harder

Do you think any club relies on one striker to send the club to glory?

I've highlighted this many times before, Sunderland top scorers are Wyke with 18, Leadbitter with 6, and then a further two players with 4.

Peterboroughs top scorers are Harris with 21. Then 9,7 and 6.

Portsmouths top scorers are Marquis with 13, the it's 8,7,6 and 5.

Lincolns top scorers are Grant with 13 then it's 9,9,8 and 6.

Hulls top scorers are Wilks with 17. Then it's 12 and then 6.

Trurh is, our other forwards haven't pulled their weight. Gooch, Maguire, AoB, Grigg and Graham. You can spout any bollocks about no chances given for the last two, but any professional footballer should be scoring from two yards out with no keeper to beat, and not managing to hit the bar from on the goal line.

I can't imagine there's one person besides yourself, that would actually blame Wyke if we fail to go up. It's total and utter madness to.

Our 2nd top scorer is a defensive midfielder who has scored the vast majority from the penalty spot. Its not good enough, and it could prove costly.

Yup. A complete nelly. You keep fighting tho mate. 👍

Do you think any club relies on one striker to send the club to glory?

I've highlighted this many times before, Sunderland top scorers are Wyke with 18, Leadbitter with 6, and then a further two players with 4.

Peterboroughs top scorers are Harris with 21. Then 9,7 and 6.

Portsmouths top scorers are Marquis with 13, the it's 8,7,6 and 5.

Lincolns top scorers are Grant with 13 then it's 9,9,8 and 6.

Hulls top scorers are Wilks with 17. Then it's 12 and then 6.

Trurh is, our other forwards haven't pulled their weight. Gooch, Maguire, AoB, Grigg and Graham. You can spout any bollocks about no chances given for the last two, but any professional footballer should be scoring from two yards out with no keeper to beat, and not managing to hit the bar from on the goal line.

I can't imagine there's one person besides yourself, that would actually blame Wyke if we fail to go up. It's total and utter madness to.

Our 2nd top scorer is a defensive midfielder who has scored the vast majority from the penalty spot. Its not good enough, and it could prove costly.
I agree. If only we had someone to link play to help our others players out with goal scoring...
Yup. A complete nelly. You keep fighting tho mate. 👍
Not sure how you can criticise the best keeper in the league statistically but not the second best striker in the league statistically. Bit hypocritical

I agree. If only we had someone to link play to help our others players out with goal scoring...

Not sure how you can criticise the best keeper in the league statistically but not the second best striker in the league statistically. Bit hypocritical

It doesn't always work like that, Maguire and Gooch got their ten goals mainly from nothing last season.. They had the capability to do that. Create something out of nothing. This season it's been the complete opposite, nowt to do with link up play. They've just been shite.
It's frursting because maguire usually hits the 10 goal mark, the biggest disappointment is. He's the person people will of expected to hit double figures this season, and that's probably proving to be the difference between where we are now, and the top 2.

Last edited:
It doesn't always work like that, Maguire and Gooch got their ten goals mainly from nothing last season.. They had the capability to do that. Create something out of nothing. This season it's been the complete opposite, nowt to do with link up play. They've just been shite.
It's frursting because maguire usually hits the 10 goal mark, the biggest disappointment is. He's the person people will of expected to hit double figures this season, and that's probably proving to be the difference between where we are now, and the top 2.

Got to be careful with looking at statistics though, as none of McGeady, Gooch, maguire, etc., have played many games at all. Bet they’re all on around half the total games played, maybe a bit less. Bet if you doubled their tallies, then they’d be closer to the numbers you’d expect. The major problems the inconsistency of it all - we’ve proven we’ve got the best defence, midfield and attack on a given day. But there’s still too many off-days when Wyke, Burge, McGeady, Gooch, maguire or whoever else it is hasn’t performed and every player to a man has had as many bad games as good for us, even the infallible Wyke.

That’s my point - some positions you can get away with that inconsistency, such as out wide. Others you can’t, like up front and in goal. Hence Burge and Wyke have took a lot more criticism the last 2 seasons than McGeady, maguire or Gooch, for example.

Got to be careful with looking at statistics though, as none of McGeady, Gooch, maguire, etc., have played many games at all. Bet they’re all on around half the total games played, maybe a bit less. Bet if you doubled their tallies, then they’d be closer to the numbers you’d expect. The major problems the inconsistency of it all - we’ve proven we’ve got the best defence, midfield and attack on a given day. But there’s still too many off-days when Wyke, Burge, McGeady, Gooch, maguire or whoever else it is hasn’t performed and every player to a man has had as many bad games as good for us, even the infallible Wyke.

That’s my point - some positions you can get away with that inconsistency, such as out wide. Others you can’t, like up front and in goal. Hence Burge and Wyke have took a lot more criticism the last 2 seasons than McGeady, maguire or Gooch, for example.

I'm not sure you can get away with it out wide, if they have an off day, our whole creativity does. And chances don't get created for the man himself.

Gooch has still played 25 times this season, and got 3 goals. You'd expect more of a goal contribution. And Maguire has played 27 times in total this season with 3 goals, you'd expect more from him also on the goal front. And I'm fairly sure you can agree AoB has been an utter waste of time.

Hardly miles off though. Miles off would be 10/1
You also get that bookies odds are not a measure of probability but of betting patterns right?
I'm not sure you can get away with it out wide, if they have an off day, our whole creativity does. And chances don't get created for the man himself.

Gooch has still played 25 times this season, and got 3 goals. You'd expect more of a goal contribution. And Maguire has played 27 times in total this season with 3 goals, you'd expect more from him also on the goal front. And I'm fairly sure you can agree AoB has been an utter waste of time.
They aren’t starts though. They’ve all been used off the bench a lot. I’d expect more, sure, but it isn’t that far off par. AOB I can’t see why he plays wide for us at times. We have better wingers. Whilst I don’t mind him playing up front with Wyke, I don’t think that formation suits us.

Last edited:
You also get that bookies odds are not a measure of probability but of betting patterns right?

They aren’t starts though. They’ve all been used off the bench a lot. I’d expect more, sure, but it isn’t that far off par. AOB I can’t see why he plays wide for us at times. We have better wingers. Whilst I don’t mind him playing up front with Wyke, I don’t think that formation suits us.
I get that we aren't miles off promotion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back