Mackday Meldrew - Crewe Alexandra

Status
Not open for further replies.

I mean, that’s a very general statement that you could use as proof for literally anything. But I’ll just go with the fact that we don’t need to be top 2 to go up.
We are Sunderland mind. The odds of us going up via the playoffs are not high.
Really don’t see the point in him starting out on the right wing. Utterly pointless when we have 4/5 players better than him out there. If he’s playing off Wyke fair enough, but not out wide. Looked better when Gooch went wide and obrien inside.

Don’t know why McLaughlin played rb and onien cb either and not the other way round. Same with Gooch playing cm/cam - pointless and we have better players in that position.

Wyke gets away without any criticism today, but he was woeful. Exactly as I foretold, he’ll cost us games by not contributing apart from tapping in goals. No link up play and no out ball really caused us problems first half especially. Good flick on for maguires goal.

Team selection was the biggest issue though, just didn’t make sense with who was playing where. Winchester looked good though for the first time since he signed so hopefully he can step up as he’ll have to play some part now grant is out probably for the season.

I suggest you read again @hank williams

Looking at Jones record ,Gooch would always score more

Gooch frustrates the life out of me, if he had a good footballing brain he'd be a lot more effective, he should have taken league one by storm really and he's done ok.
Leadbitter allows others to get forward more without exposing us, would be the reason I'd suggest for him coming on when we're struggling.

Hopefully our defensive issues won't hamper us seeing a midfield three like the one against Doncaster.

I completely agree for now he has a role to play but that is just now, we need to move on from him.

Last edited:
4-3-3
I'm assuming we don't have any defenders back from injury yet:

Burge
McLau Sanderson 09 Gooch
Maguire Power Scowen
McGeady Wyke Jones​

Last edited:
Wyke 0.30 goals per attempt
Mandron 0.13 goals per attempt

Wyke > 50% attempts on target
Mandron < 50% attempts on target

Wyke 0.59 goals per shot on target
Mandron 0.26 goals per shot on target

Wyke 18 goals
Mandron 6 goals

Wyke 2 assists
Mandron 3 assists

Wyke 0.87 goals + assists per 90
Mandron 0.38 goals + assists per 90

Wyke team goal difference when on the pitch = +21
Mandron team goal difference when on the pitch = +9

Wyke unsuccessful touches per 90 = 2.1
Mandron unsuccessful touches per 90 = 3

Wyke dispossessions per 90 = 1
Mandron dispossessions per 90 =1.3

Wyke pass success = 68.5%
Mandron pass success = 70.7%

Wyke average passes = 18.6
Mandron average passes = 19

Wyke key passes per 90 = 0.8
Mandron key passes per 90 = 1

Wyke aerial challenges per 90 = 9.6
Mandron aerial challenges per 90 = 8.7

Wyke aerial challenge win ratio = 47. 9%
Mandron aerial challenge win ratio = 43.7%
Are you applying for the clubs data analysist position?

Why do you deflect with irrelevant questions when you cannot counter argue anything? Wyke won’t score 25 league goals this season. Made all the more of a problem when he contributes nothing outside of goal scoring

Didnt he get the assist for the all important equaliser on Saturday? With a cracking header won in the air.

If Wyke doesn't score 25 league goals this season, that's fine.. He's still had a cracking season, 20 league goals scored by your striker should get you promoted, if the other attacking players do their job anyway and score goals also.

I honestly can't believe you bang on about Wyke still, he's scored 23 goals ffs.

Didnt he get the assist for the all important equaliser on Saturday? With a cracking header won in the air.

If Wyke doesn't score 25 league goals this season, that's fine.. He's still had a cracking season, 20 league goals scored by your striker should get you promoted, if the other attacking players do their job anyway and score goals also.

I honestly can't believe you bang on about Wyke still, he's scored 23 goals ffs.
Yes only took him 94 minutes to contribute anything. And then he demonstrated exactly my point about how important link up play is for your striker. If he did that more often then he’d be fine. Like I said before it only needs to be little one twos and the like, things like giving your cm an out ball to knock it into your striker who then knocks it 10 yards to the other CM to allow possession retention. Triangles. Not asking for the world from him. But that’s how you get out of issues like being pressed highly - which causes us problems every single time a team does it to us, because we don’t have the out of Wyke. Mandrons all round game put Wyke to shame yesterday.

Yes only took him 94 minutes to contribute anything. And then he demonstrated exactly my point about how important link up play is for your striker. If he did that more often then he’d be fine. Like I said before it only needs to be little one twos and the like, things like giving your cm an out ball to knock it into your striker who then knocks it 10 yards to the other CM to allow possession retention. Triangles. Not asking for the world from him. But that’s how you get out of issues like being pressed highly - which causes us problems every single time a team does it to us, because we don’t have the out of Wyke. Mandrons all round game put Wyke to shame yesterday.

Tbf to Wyke the rest of the team were shite and created absolutely nothing for him, crewe were far more affective going forward and it showed.

Tbf to the rest of the team, Wyke is integral in them getting the ball into position to create chances too

Wyke seems integral for a lot of things you seem to mention. If our wingers need Wyke to create then they aren't very good, McGeady has proved he can create something out of nothing. Wyke should focus more on being in the right place for our creators to create.

McGeady and Gooch had a stinker. And AoB, I still have no clue what he brings to the team.

It's no coincidence our efforts improved when McGeady, Gooch and AoB went off and Jones, Maguire and Diamond came on. Wyke was in the game more, and as such ended up contributing to a match saving goal.

Say what you want want about Wykes performance, but he contributed more than Gooch, AoB and sadly McGeady. But I'm not going to be harsh on McGeady, he's playing a lot of games atm.

Last edited:
As I said, he offered no out at all. And we struggled for possession and as a consequence we were 2-0 down. Games lost at that point. This has happened many times with Wyke up front and will continue to happen. And every day we slip further from the front 2 just proves my point more.
Wyke shagged your lass or summat? You're practically blaming him for the position we're in despite him being one of the league's top scorers. It's pathetic and embarrassing.

To add to my previous point, so if we don't get promoted then I presume the "I told you so" comment will be, because we have Charlie Wyke as our centre forward?
I told you so is going to come out whether we go up or not, from one side or the other, this debate has gone on long enough on here now, 4 months now, that it’ll be interesting to see how things pan out.

He wasn't anywhere near match fit when he joined, because Gerrard had frozen him out at Rangers (I think he said as much himself in an after-match interview yesterday). It makes more sense until he's up to speed to bring him on with 30 to go against tiring defenders than playing him from the start against fresh ones.
Aye. Perish the thought that LJ might actually know what he's doing marra.

I told you so is going to come out whether we go up or not, from one side or the other, this debate has gone on long enough on here now, 4 months now, that it’ll be interesting to see how things pan out.

So if we don't go up it's " I told you so". But if we do go up, it's " I told you so" n all. You make less and less sense about this if I'm honest. He's got fuck all to prove to anyone this season, the rest though? Different matter.

So if we don't go up it's " I told you so". But if we do go up, it's " I told you so" n all. You make less and less sense about this if I'm honest. He's got fuck all to prove to anyone this season, the rest though? Different matter.
No, if we do it’ll be I told you so from you lot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back