MacBook advice

But the discussion nearly always starts with someone stating how superior Apple is, at least in my experience.
I've never heard someone start a conversation with, just got a new Dell, it's so much better than Apple you know.

As regards to the OP, Very online catalogue do regular 20% deals on Apple products, got my daughters Macbook Air with the 20% and 12 month interest free credit, you pay it back when you want so I paid a few hundred each month. If you haven't paid it off within the 12 months you accrue interest on the amount still owing. Not one at the moment, but it will be back by September at the latest.
This thread was about MacBooks. People who owned them gave genuine appraisals of their experience, both pros and cons. Other people came on to mock Apple and Apple users.
Of course it happens both ways but if you come onto an Apple thread to say that Windows is better, then claim that 'Apple fans started it', you maybe need to have a look at your motivations for being on the thread in the first place.
The OP is happy with the advice he's been given, why not leave it at that?

Looking at the base 2020 air and pro, can the price difference be justified ? The macbook pro is a couple of hundred quid dearer, but doesn't seem to be worth it, especially when the base model air has 256gb storage compared to the pro 128gb.

Think the pros are due a refresh this year, so you're seeing new spec Air vs end of life spec Pro. My current laptop's an aging Pro, but I've gone for the new Air this time.

This thread was about MacBooks. People who owned them gave genuine appraisals of their experience, both pros and cons. Other people came on to mock Apple and Apple users.
Of course it happens both ways but if you come onto an Apple thread to say that Windows is better, then claim that 'Apple fans started it', you maybe need to have a look at your motivations for being on the thread in the first place.
The OP is happy with the advice he's been given, why not leave it at that?

Read the entire post monkey brains :lol:

Think the pros are due a refresh this year, so you're seeing new spec Air vs end of life spec Pro. My current laptop's an aging Pro, but I've gone for the new Air this time.

the 13" is due a refresh, likely to become 14" with the different keyboard and new specs. Intel showcased their new generation of cpus that are the right power requirements for the 16" so that is likely to get a spec bump at some point. I'd be tempted to tell work to get me that one but i do like the really short-throw keyboard on my 2018 model.

the 13" is due a refresh, likely to become 14" with the different keyboard and new specs. Intel showcased their new generation of cpus that are the right power requirements for the 16" so that is likely to get a spec bump at some point. I'd be tempted to tell work to get me that one but i do like the really short-throw keyboard on my 2018 model.

tbh the keyboard is incredibly important to me (I write) so that's another reason I went for the new Air. Not a fan of the butterfly keys on my work Pro which is same age as yours.

tbh the keyboard is incredibly important to me (I write) so that's another reason I went for the new Air. Not a fan of the butterfly keys on my work Pro which is same age as yours.

I get that, lots of people don't like the butterfly keyboard. I don't write loads and I like a really short throw so it's ideal for me, I have a warranty if it goes wrong too.

I get that, lots of people don't like the butterfly keyboard. I don't write loads and I like a really short throw so it's ideal for me, I have a warranty if it goes wrong too.

Whats a butterfly keyboard?

But the discussion nearly always starts with someone stating how superior Apple is, at least in my experience.
I've never heard someone start a conversation with, just got a new Dell, it's so much better than Apple you know.

As regards to the OP, Very online catalogue do regular 20% deals on Apple products, got my daughters Macbook Air with the 20% and 12 month interest free credit, you pay it back when you want so I paid a few hundred each month. If you haven't paid it off within the 12 months you accrue interest on the amount still owing. Not one at the moment, but it will be back by September at the latest.

It’s normally non apples users coming into apple threads slating apple products starting daft arguments to be fair.

I asked a question, got some really good feedback, even managed to get 10% off RRP, and even a couple of offers to get me the discount codes. Jobs a good ‘in, bairn will be happy with a brand new MacBook, for a couple of hundred extra than what she originally wanted to spend, but with double the hard disk space and no worry about history.

The mechanism behind the keycaps that makes them spring back. Typically laptops use are scissor switches, so a very different design. The butterfly design was to make them thinner to make the laptop thinner, but it was found to be less reliable and people didn't like the feel of them.

The mechanism behind the keycaps that makes them spring back. Typically laptops use are scissor switches, so a very different design. The butterfly design was to make them thinner to make the laptop thinner, but it was found to be less reliable and people didn't like the feel of them.

Switching back to scissor has been an absolute god send for me! I was one of those who hates the new butterfly design. Laptop being a bit thicker gives extra room for a bit more cooling efficiency too, so win-win!

As people have said below, but it also has very short travel (how far a key depresses when you press it, sorry if you already knew that). Means that you can make the keyboard thinner, but a lot of people don't like the less tactile feel of that.

Apple also screwed up badly with the design (which I think they've fixed now) when they first introduced it, so dust etc could render it broken - to the point where they had to run keyboard replacement programmes.

R
As people have said below, but it also has very short travel (how far a key depresses when you press it, sorry if you already knew that). Means that you can make the keyboard thinner, but a lot of people don't like the less tactile feel of that.

Apple also screwed up badly with the design (which I think they've fixed now) when they first introduced it, so dust etc could render it broken - to the point where they had to run keyboard replacement programmes.

Right. That may explain why I haven't really taken to me new macbook pro and I am still using a 2015 one as the keyboard feels much better and I hate the touchbar.

R

Right. That may explain why I haven't really taken to me new macbook pro and I am still using a 2015 one as the keyboard feels much better and I hate the touchbar.

That'll be it. Send the new one to Apple and they will "fix" it - the replacement does feel a bit better, but still nowhere near as good as they were on the older ones, and the new late 2019 16inch'ers!

Edit: I should say, they do not just replace the keyboard you get a new keyboard/trackpad/battery as they're basically all one bit of kit what they just replace!

Back