MacBook advice

Amused by that. Their whole business culture says "hit them" when we need them to buy again. Of course they do. And you are looking to buy a second hand one. Work it out.

These Apple guys like a laugh though.

Not true with Windows.
Have you actual experience of the devices slowing? There’s users on here who are running old versions with no noticeable difference.

It’s clear from your comments you’re not a fan of apple products, and that’s not the debate here...the bairn has a windows laptop already and that has slowed right down, it’s been re-imaged twice in about 4 years because of performance.

Myself I’m not that arsed about technology to be honest, but the kids do like flashy things.
£900 for a mac air man, f***ing scandalous. Would rather spend half that on a decent windows laptop.

I have had an air and now have a macbook pro, miles better but it's the cost (work bought them). No way would I pay the money they cost for either. Had to spend £100 on bloody adapters to work usb stuff and hdmi cables etc (as usb c only).

Replacement charger was £90, twats.
Back to the age old argument, why by a Rolex when a Casio will do, why buy bmw when a Ford will do, etc etc etc

Last edited:

Apple has stopped the slowing down thing for macs now. By just not letting you install newer operating systems on them.

I remember one update causing issues with iMacs if that had mechanical drives.
But these days with ssd’s and the controlling what is they can run it’s not an issue.

£900 for a mac air man, f***ing scandalous. Would rather spend half that on a decent windows laptop.

Find me a windows laptop as thin and light with that level of build quality as the air for half that? Actually make it fair do it for the same price. Your looking at the likes of the XPS which is the same if not more. For the form factor the air is actually quite reasonable.

Have you actual experience of the devices slowing? There’s users on here who are running old versions with no noticeable difference.

It’s clear from your comments you’re not a fan of apple products, and that’s not the debate here...the bairn has a windows laptop already and that has slowed right down, it’s been re-imaged twice in about 4 years because of performance.

Myself I’m not that arsed about technology to be honest, but the kids do like flashy things.

Back to the age old argument, why by a Rolex when a Casio will do, why buy bmw when a Ford will do, etc etc etc

Mac and Windows are nowt like Rolex vs Casio man haha.

Mac and Windows are nowt like Rolex vs Casio man haha.
Got to be said, the MacBooks do look slick as fuck compared to laptops in my opinion.

And I’ve googled ‘windows alternatives to MacBook air’ and they’re more than the £900 I’ve paid for the MacBook. Show me a laptop half the price and looks as good and light as the air and I might buy one myself.

The first we bought was dreadful - slow and unresponsive. We got that exchanged on believing it was faulty. The second is exactly the same. Slow!!

A new MacBook was slow and unresponsive? Which one was it?

Serious question here not trying to be funny, but one of the (many) advantages of Mac's IMO is that they only have a finite amount of hardware, which they put together themselves and the OS is tailored to that hardware.

Windows has basically unlimited amounts of hardware, hence the many issues people face.

But, each to their own. Everyone has stuff they like/dislike.

I bought the cheapest level MacBook Air in 2011 and it only gave up the ghost a couple of weeks ago. Would agree with everyone saying they are built to last and don't slow down.

Also look much better and are user friendly.

Got to be said, the MacBooks do look slick as fuck compared to laptops in my opinion.

And I’ve googled ‘windows alternatives to MacBook air’ and they’re more than the £900 I’ve paid for the MacBook. Show me a laptop half the price and looks as good and light as the air and I might buy one myself.

You won't find one mate. Have to go top end and spend a whack on something like the Dell XPS, to the Windows surface books etc..

She'll love the MacBook - great purchase.

PS. Not sure what sort of insurance you have, but you can get AppleCare+ within the first 90 days ( I think!) extends the warranty for another 2 years on top of the 1 year and covers accidental damage etc too.

IMO though, it is expensive and I just Insure all my gadgets with a 3rd party!

A new MacBook was slow and unresponsive? Which one was it?

Serious question here not trying to be funny, but one of the (many) advantages of Mac's IMO is that they only have a finite amount of hardware, which they put together themselves and the OS is tailored to that hardware.

Windows has basically unlimited amounts of hardware, hence the many issues people face.

But, each to their own. Everyone has stuff they like/dislike.
The Pro. My wife cant believe how quick my Dell opens/processes compared to her Pro. I have to agree.

The Pro. My wife cant believe how quick my Dell opens/processes compared to her Pro. I have to agree.

which one? The base 13" pro which until recently only had a 1.4ghz dual core cpu, top end recent 15" have 8 core 2.4ghz cpu

I have a quad core xps 13 for work and a hexacore macbook pro 15 at home. They are two very different machines for very different purposes pointless comparing.

Last edited:
I'm shocked, must say!

Out of interest, which pro was it and what dell do you have, model and spec?
I haven't got a clue - the Mac-book is 2 years old - My Dell about the same. Im not that geeky to learn about processor numbers I'm afraid.... I just use them. And buy a brand.. :lol:

Just realised I'm out of my depth here when it comes to hardware numbers.... I just know what they do in comparison. Waiting time!!

you'll be looking at the last generation air for that price, which to be honest was well past it's best. They redesigned it in 2018 and made it far better, better screen, processors ect, but I think you'd be struggling to get one for that price.

Another option is the 2017 bottom spec macbook pro 13, something like this maybe Apple Macbook Pro - Core i5 13" 2.3GHz MPXQ2LL/A (Mid 2017) 8GB 128GB - Silver | eBay but you aren't getting much storage space.

I've got a MacBook Air, which i got in 2017, absolutely spot on, i have no issues with it, i keep it updated and it works fine

I've been looking at Macbooks for a while...

The problem is that when work update their laptops, they sell the old ones to the staff (minus HDD) for about £35, complete with docking station and chargers.

I'm running an quad core i5 with 8 GB ram with an SSD and it's bloody rapid as theres no bloatwear on it at all.

I was on the verge of getting a mac last time, but then work had another sale, so I upgraded to the one I've got now.

If I ever get a windfall it'll be the first purchase, but I just cant justify £1000 against £100 at the moment.

Thanks for the offer and thanks @jlaws for highlighting this, I owe you’s a pint if I ever come across you in person!

Turns out when questioned that she had a unidays account the daft twat!!! And was clueless that she could’ve got the discount! All ordered with a canny saving! Thanks again!

No problem mate. It just occurred to me that there was an educational discount for Apple. I am sure she will love it! When I look out in my lectures I see a see of Apple Macs....so she is one of the crowd now!

I'm shocked, must say!

Out of interest, which pro was it and what dell do you have, model and spec?

This is the key, most people who say how superior Apple are to PC's are normally comparing their £1000+ Mac to a £400 PC.
Spend the same on a PC as you do on a Mac and they are very comparable, basically you get what you pay for.
Just Apple don't make budget laptops.

always found them to be a rich kids play toy, especially at uni. bought one to see what the hype was and the **** blew up in my room, scorched the carpet and lost me my rental deposit. never again.
This is the key, most people who say how superior Apple are to PC's are normally comparing their £1000+ Mac to a £400 PC.
Spend the same on a PC as you do on a Mac and they are very comparable, basically you get what you pay for.
bingo. btw have you seen how much better my a class merc is compared to my old clio? ;)

Last edited:
always found them to be a rich kids play toy, especially at uni. bought one to see what the hype was and the **** blew up in my room, scorched the carpet and lost me my rental deposit. never again.

bingo. btw have you seen how much better my a class merc is compared to my old clio? ;)

If this happened, did you take it back to Apple? They would certainly have sorted this for you...!

They do, but IMO even comparing like for like (spec wise) MacOS is just streets ahead.

I was a late starter with Mac really, used Windows forever. Always building kit, upgrading, making better and better.... the issue for me was always Windows. It's getting better (like Android!) but still IMO just not as good as MacOS.

Everyone has views though, so Mac won't suit everyone! (they will miss out tho ;) )

Back