MacBook advice

I am on my 4th, a 2009 MBP (now dead as board died and cost of repair not worth it), a 2011 (son has it and works great), a 2015 (my day to day one) and a 2019 one that I haven't moved over to yet but bought before my budget was clawed back. Daughter also has a Macbook air. Initial learning curve was very steep and many a frustration with Excel (even used parallels to use Windows version but now couldn't move back.

But - I have never ever had a power cable die on a PC. Had two die on MBP, once in Dubai and once in London so Apple Stores nearby to buy new block. I have never had a PC die on me, like the 2009 version did. The 2011 also had to have the keyboard connector replaced for £75 at local repair shop.

Had a 2015 MacBook Pro since new and it’s now just about 5 year old and still as good as the day I bought it . Not had any issues with it . Battery still holds a canny charge and it handles anything I want to run on it no problem .

went for a MacBook as I was sick of spending money on windows laptops only for em to knack up or slow down after a couple of years . MacBook was pricey compared to similar spec windows laptops but well worth it for how long it’s lasted me .

I moved from Windows to Mac about 12 years ago and would never, ever consider going back (I still have a Windows PC and hate the OS).

Every PC slows down in time (both Windows and Mac) but that's due to the amount of stuff that ends up on the hard drives and I've never heard the same criticism levelled at Apple computers about slowdown you read about their phones so I wouldn't worry about that.

As for the price range and model it depends on what she will be using it for (I won't pretend Apple machines are great gaming computers mind). The Air model's are light, relatively powerful and will be absolutely fine for everyday use.
Windows 95 = Mac 89...

If I had £800 to spend on a MacBook, I'd buy a new MacBook Pro and use their interest free over 12 months option.

£800 on a second hand laptop with an unknown past would just worry me.

Had a 2015 MacBook Pro since new and it’s now just about 5 year old and still as good as the day I bought it . Not had any issues with it . Battery still holds a canny charge and it handles anything I want to run on it no problem .

went for a MacBook as I was sick of spending money on windows laptops only for em to knack up or slow down after a couple of years . MacBook was pricey compared to similar spec windows laptops but well worth it for how long it’s lasted me .

I think I will be doing the same. Spent quite a bit on a 6 core i7 windows laptop in 2018 and had nowt but bother with it. Blue screen of death constantly and the fans keep knacking up. Had so many issues with Windows I’m gunna take the plunge when this one goes.

I love my Macs but the problem I've come across with aging equipment is that you get to a stage where you cannot update to the current version of the operating system which means you cannot update the browsers and many websites will not support the older versions so your access becomes limited. When I say aging I'm talking many years but it's something to be aware of.

That's what happened with my Mac Mini - I've now installed Windows 10 on it and it runs that fine!

If I had £800 to spend on a MacBook, I'd buy a new MacBook Pro and use their interest free over 12 months option.

£800 on a second hand laptop with an unknown past would just worry me.
I’ve deceived to top her money up and going to order a new 2019 Air edition.

I was too dubious as you mention spunking not far off the RRP for a second hand one when you don’t know the history.

Thanks to all for the information.

Is she a student? Apple kicks off Back to School promotion for students

I just logged in to educational site and found this price - is it cheaper?

1.1GHz Dual-Core Core i3 Processor with Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz
256GB Storage
Touch ID

• Retina display with True Tone
  • 1.1GHz dual-core 10th-generation Intel Core i3 processor
  • Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz
  • Intel Iris Plus Graphics
  • 8GB 3733MHz LPDDR4X memory
  • 256GB SSD storage¹
  • Magic Keyboard
  • Touch ID
  • Force Touch trackpad
  • Two Thunderbolt 3 ports
£898.80

Last edited by a moderator:
Is she a student? Apple kicks off Back to School promotion for students

I just logged in to educational site and found this price - is it cheaper?

1.1GHz Dual-Core Core i3 Processor with Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz
256GB Storage
Touch ID

• Retina display with True Tone
  • 1.1GHz dual-core 10th-generation Intel Core i3 processor
  • Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz
  • Intel Iris Plus Graphics
  • 8GB 3733MHz LPDDR4X memory
  • 256GB SSD storage¹
  • Magic Keyboard
  • Touch ID
  • Force Touch trackpad
  • Two Thunderbolt 3 ports
£898.80

i've just pm'ed offering use of my myunidays account its 898 with vs 999 without

i've just pm'ed offering use of my myunidays account its 898 with vs 999 without
Thanks for the offer and thanks @jlaws for highlighting this, I owe you’s a pint if I ever come across you in person!

Turns out when questioned that she had a unidays account the daft twat!!! And was clueless that she could’ve got the discount! All ordered with a canny saving! Thanks again!

I’ve deceived to top her money up and going to order a new 2019 Air edition.

I was too dubious as you mention spunking not far off the RRP for a second hand one when you don’t know the history.

Thanks to all for the information.
Mate, send me a PM. I have educational discount. Not sure if I'll be able to get it for you, but can give it a go if you are interested.

EDIT: Should have read on. :lol:

£900 for a mac air man, f***ing scandalous. Would rather spend half that on a decent windows laptop.

I have had an air and now have a macbook pro, miles better but it's the cost (work bought them). No way would I pay the money they cost for either. Had to spend £100 on bloody adapters to work usb stuff and hdmi cables etc (as usb c only).

Replacement charger was £90, twats.

I once bought one but it was fucked. When I took it back to the store, the store lad introduced himself as 'Mark Ronson' and said is the "Return of the Mac?".

TAXI FOR TB!!!

Bairn is looking at buying a reconditioned MacBook, and has asked my advice, but I haven’t a clue what and where to buy.

Probably looking to spend £500-£700.

Are they like iPhones where the ***** at apple start slowing down the older ones forcing you to buy newer?

What’s the modelling like, I think she’s looking at an Air model?
Amused by that. Their whole business culture says "hit them" when we need them to buy again. Of course they do. And you are looking to buy a second hand one. Work it out.
£900 for a mac air man, f***ing scandalous. Would rather spend half that on a decent windows laptop.

I have had an air and now have a macbook pro, miles better but it's the cost (work bought them). No way would I pay the money they cost for either. Had to spend £100 on bloody adapters to work usb stuff and hdmi cables etc (as usb c only).

Replacement charger was £90, twats.
These Apple guys like a laugh though.
I love my Macs but the problem I've come across with aging equipment is that you get to a stage where you cannot update to the current version of the operating system which means you cannot update the browsers and many websites will not support the older versions so your access becomes limited. When I say aging I'm talking many years but it's something to be aware of.
Not true with Windows.

Last edited:
Wanderer the new Macbook Air is not user upgradable ssd and ram soldered, if you can afford it buy the 16gb i5 model.

Back