Low - David Bowie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Side one - decent, but nothing much to rival his best work.
Side two - crap.

“After a spell in Switzerland he arrives in Berlin”.
Rick Wakeman was interviewed about the spell in Switzerland after Bowie’s death. He’s always good interview value is Wakeman.

They were tax exiles alongside half a dozen other Brit rockstars and all didn’t know wtf they were doing there apart from saving money. RW said every bloody night we’d all be propping up the bar having the same conversations every night in the one after hours lock in type place in town alongside the staff and a few local piss heads.
Anyway one neet Bowie says “ Im getting fuckin bored with this. What’s Berlin like?”. No one had an answer. Then they nivver seen him for about nine months or so until he wandered in late one night for a lock in.
“Where the fuck have you been?” asks Wakeman.
“Berlin”
“What’s it like?”
“Same as this fuckin place” he replied pulling up a stool at the bar.
Didn't kna Rick was from up here hew.

Last edited:

Don’t get the obsession with Bowie like. Seemed to get loads of new fans and be declared a genius after he died. Before that no one gave a fuck about him.

His output from 1969 to Let's Dance was brilliant and he was an absolute star who managed to be avant garde and popular.

Then he went shite and pulled it back towards the end.

Johnny Cash is another except he was terrible for the vast majority of his career. He redeemed himself with his American Recordings.

His 70sish run of albums is probably the only sequence capable of giving The Beatles a run for their money. Post Scarey Monsters if everything was cherry picked I doubt there’d be two albums worth of stuff in total to match it. Clean living and domestication will do that to a loon.
Stones were up there in late 60s until and including Some Girls IMHO.

Last edited:
I tried for years not to like Bowie, can’t stand most of the avante garde they just come over as up their own arse posers.
It must be said though he’s produced some magnificent stuff and deserves to be up there.

Avante Garde! David Bowie.... avante garde! He’s nowt but a failed Antony Newley impersonator man.......and he knew it.

His output from 1969 to Let's Dance was brilliant and he was an absolute star who managed to be avant garde and popular.

Then he went shite and pulled it back towards the end.

Johnny Cash is another except he was terrible for the vast majority of his career. He redeemed himself with his American Recordings.

Stones were up there in late 60s until and including Some Girls IMHO.
That’s a fair assessment. In the end though you judge him overall and the bloke, certainly imho, was a complete icon. It’s one of those, do you know where you were when you heard he had died moments.

I was waiting to go up to Edinburgh for the contract job I had up there, having a cup of tea around 630am at Newcastle central station. The first thing I did was reminisce and phone my father to let him know. We agreed that a British icon had exited and for some people a little bit of them died that day.

The first lp I ever bought with my own pocket money was ziggy stardust from band parts at the top of leith walk in Edinburgh. I was 11.

Ultimately, spoilt for choice, this ended up my favourite track from this album

I got to be within 5 feet of him one night at Julie’s night club in the late 70s. I’ve recounted the tale before.

To me he is a complete legend.

Last edited:
Reactions: BNM
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back