Low - David Bowie

A few years ago David Bowie was backstage at a Mötley Crüe concert having a chat with drummer Tommy Lee.

David is admiring Tommy's array of tattoo's.

Tommy asks David: "Do you have any tattoos?"

"Yes." replies David. "Look here on the back of my leg. It's a man riding a dolphin with a Japanese Serenity prayer."

"Cool. That looks great man. Got any others?" asks Tommy.

"Yes. I also have my favourite album title tattooed on my penis."

"Low?" enquiries Tommy.

"No. The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders from Mars." announces David.

It’s a while since I’ve listened to it, so I’m going to stick it on Spotify tonight.

Interesting article. A lot of the Bowie stuff which stands out for me from that period of his career is on Iggy Pop’s Lust for Life album. Which is the sound of rich rock stars pissing about in Germany, yet manages to have some absolute bangers all the same.

“After a spell in Switzerland he arrives in Berlin”.
Rick Wakeman was interviewed about the spell in Switzerland after Bowie’s death. He’s always good interview value is Wakeman.

They were tax exiles alongside half a dozen other Brit rockstars and all didn’t know wtf they were doing there apart from saving money. RW said every bloody night we’d all be propping up the bar having the same conversations every night in the one after hours lock in type place in town alongside the staff and a few local piss heads.
Anyway one neet Bowie says “ Im getting fuckin bored with this. What’s Berlin like?”. No one had an answer. Then they nivver seen him for about nine months or so until he wandered in late one night for a lock in.
“Where the fuck have you been?” asks Wakeman.
“Berlin”
“What’s it like?”
“Same as this fuckin place” he replied pulling up a stool at the bar.

Don’t get the obsession with Bowie like. Seemed to get loads of new fans and be declared a genius after he died. Before that no one gave a fuck about him.

Back