Loves the relentless pressure (while avoiding talking to anyone ever).....

As a Sunderland fan who is not from Sunderland nor ever been to Sunderland, from my perspective the board's toxicity has gone well over the line in recent months. I liked Tony too, but he was tactically inept at times. If we aspire to be a Premier League team with PL quality players, we aren't going to buy them as the finished product - we are going to have to make them. We have to recruit better, younger talent than our competitors (Stuart Harvey) and it's up to the managers to put them in high pressure situations often, teach them how to play together within a system, and win matches. Tony was great with young players and helping them adapt to the pressure, but was never going to be able to do enough tactically/technically to take us to the PL. I don't know if Beale will be successful, but look at where we were before KLD and Speakman and look at where we are now. They know better than I do and better than almost anyone else on this board. It's their life's work to do what they are doing. The squad, the style of football, the results - it's like night and day to what we had before - even back to Martin Bain/Short. The BCB fiasco was bizarre and clearly a huge mistake - but throwing the baby out with the bathwater is as you Brits say - mental.

The anger isn't because Mowbray was sacked, it's because he wasn't replaced by a young, European manager who has been flavour of the month for playing footy manager and being fined for not having licences.

As for the bcb debacle - it was an ill-advised revenue generator gone wrong and the Mags are probably laughing more at people's ongoing reaction to it than the situation itself but it's crazy that nobody involved anticipated what the reaction would be.

Last edited:

Back