" Love handles "/Hips

• Thread starter Beefy Monster Munch
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't think 36 is too old to get a six pack. I'm working on mine now and I'm 44...

Obvioulsy you'll need to get single digit % body fat for them to show, with age your metabolism slows down and doesnt help. But no doubt if you have a very strict diet its achievable.

But to be honest its probably too much like hard work for someone who likes food too much like me, and its not really a look that I'd be interested in achieving either.

Good luck though mate.

Obvioulsy you'll need to get single digit % body fat for them to show, with age your metabolism slows down and doesnt help. But no doubt if you have a very strict diet its achievable.

But to be honest its probably too much like hard work for someone who likes food too much like me, and its not really a look that I'd be interested in achieving either.

Good luck though mate.

Hmmmm, I can see what you mean, why would anyone want to look like that :lol:

So in theory to lose weight i dont need to do 20 mins on the running machine? Can i just go straight to the weights and body build, while still losing weight?

So in theory to lose weight i dont need to do 20 mins on the running machine? Can i just go straight to the weights and body build, while still losing weight?

Weight training still burn calories so yeah. Think I'll start doing strength training more than cardio when I've lost another stone.

When training for an 'aesthetic physique', weight training should be the main focus. Take a look at this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmEJGR1_sZc&noredirect=1

Interesting video thanks again.

Weight training still burn calories so yeah. Think I'll start doing strength training more than cardio when I've lost another stone.

Ive had a day off today as ive been feeling tired on a morning at the gym, but as of tomorrow im going to hit the multi gym in there.

Yeah sprinting burns fat better as its a form of interval training, think of a sprinters physique compared to that of a distance runner mate, all power, speed and muscle!

Complete urban myth mate. Fat burning ONLY occurs when glycogen levels have been depleted. So it's either prolonged running of an hour or more or some seriously intensive short fartlek/interval sessions. Unless ya totally focused it is very hard to maintain fartlek training when your at the point of glycogen debt as it is f***ing painful!

Long distance running is the best bet as the overall calorie burn off is much greater.

I've always struggled in years gone by with love handles but I've found that by being patient, changing your diet, regular training they will eventually melt away as overall body fat decreases.

Russian Twists will help as well big style

Complete urban myth mate. Fat burning ONLY occurs when glycogen levels have been depleted. So it's either prolonged running of an hour or more or some seriously intensive short fartlek/interval sessions. Unless ya totally focused it is very hard to maintain fartlek training when your at the point of glycogen debt as it is f***ing painful!

Long distance running is the best bet as the overall calorie burn off is much greater.

I've always struggled in years gone by with love handles but I've found that by being patient, changing your diet, regular training they will eventually melt away as overall body fat decreases.

Russian Twists will help as well big style
Your right mate, I bet the bloke on the right below does endless hours on a treadmill

Logon or register to see this image

Got the same problem, lost a couple of stone, and although I've reduced these and my gut they're still my worst areas.

Now I've started the weights again, I'm hoping to put on size across my chest and shoulders to make the handles less obvious, then as the fat disappears they should reduce over time I hope.

Never going to have a six pack and be in single figure fat percentage, too old at 36, and like to enjoy my self with bait and drink, so it's all about strength training now.

Can still enjoy yourself and have a six pack. I manage it.

I didn't say I look flabby? I'm " solid " (Nor I don't think I'm git hard, I meant as in body haha) it's obvious fat but doens't flab around like the proper fatties. I obviously do have muscle underneath, I just don't want to add more on top of that, I want to get a tad thinner first.

In other words, I don't think I have a clue what I'm on about, I might give up the running and do the sprints like the last lad suggested, carry on with my kettlebells and buy some dumbbells and barbells.

If you start weight training you're not going to end up looking like a body builder any time soon. You'll gain two pounds of muscle a month at a push. Those extra two pounds will do you more good than running.

Annoys me when people say they wanna lose the weight before they start lifting. As if they're gonna hoy on loads of muscle under the fat and look fatter or something.

If you start weight training you're not going to end up looking like a body builder any time soon. You'll gain two pounds of muscle a month at a push. Those extra two pounds will do you more good than running.

you're 22 its easy to be slim then even at 27 i can see a difference.

and I'll take a punt your build isn't the same as the wanderer.

Couldn't disagree more. For all round health and weight control and looking lean you simply cannot beat running. It is the base on which all healthy lifestyles are built - ask any boxer. Liftin weights will be a long hard road to shifting excess fat, you have to burn calories off and nothing comes close to running for that. 3/4 days a week running and 1/2 days for moderate stength training couples with a good diet is pretty much foolproof. The trick is in pushing yourself on every run and every session - simply coasting it does naff all.

Annoys me when people say they wanna lose the weight before they start lifting. As if they're gonna hoy on loads of muscle under the fat and look fatter or something.

If it annoys you, why comment? I don't want to lift while I'm still " fat ". I want to lose the remaining weight then start using the dumbbells and barbells to add some definition, not to add tons of muscle and have them popping out everywhere.

Couldn't disagree more. For all round health and weight control and looking lean you simply cannot beat running. It is the base on which all healthy lifestyles are built - ask any boxer. Liftin weights will be a long hard road to shifting excess fat, you have to burn calories off and nothing comes close to running for that. 3/4 days a week running and 1/2 days for moderate stength training couples with a good diet is pretty much foolproof. The trick is in pushing yourself on every run and every session - simply coasting it does naff all.

Could not disagree more than any post ever on this forum than this,

Look at the physique of a distance runner FFS!

I'll take a powerful, strong, weight lifting sprinters physique over that thanks. Oh and most boxers not fighting at the heavier weight classes have shit all round physiques. A boxer caters to the strengths he will need in the ring, for example punching power is generated through the legs, gluteus and core.

Weight training is far superior than steady state cardio... Especially for your average male. The more muscle you have the more calories you burn, that is a fact.

As for pushing yourself in every training session, well I don't even know how to begin on that one! :)

A structured training programme will see you work towards a maximum output with goals in mind before easing off for a de-loading phase to allow your body to recover and compensate.

If it annoys you, why comment? I don't want to lift while I'm still " fat ". I want to lose the remaining weight then start using the dumbbells and barbells to add some definition, not to add tons of muscle and have them popping out everywhere.

Simply mate I think it's because what you want just isn't going to happen no matter how much you think it will and what you're doing now isnt as effective as what he's suggesting but that's your choice if you house to do it that way.

Last edited:
Simply mate I think it's because what you want just isn't going to happen no matter how much you think it will and what you're doing now isnt as effective as what he's suggesting but that's your choice if you house to do it that way.

I'm still in the process of losing weight. I want to get as thin as I can before I start dumbbell work outs. I don't see any reason that it won't happen, it's not as if I want to become a body builder. I'll lose the weight then " tighten " myself up. Yes it will happen. I've seen it done, my mate done it and looks great.

Funny how this bloke got ripped after losing all the weight he did, or would he have been better off lifting without losing the weight first? And I'm in no way near the size he was when he started his journey. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZzR7cCAEi0[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:

All goes down to what you want to look like. I wouldn't want to look like long distance runners do but would want to be lean.

I have done the running route and the strength training route and the strength wins easily for getting a physique that isn't just skin and bones, which is what I find long distance running does. Lose fat but also lose all muscle definition that you have. With my strength training I still have cardio involved but that is more farmers carrys, prowler and short distance sprints within a circuit of exercises. Which keeps my fitness levels up but also lets me work towards a body that I want.

You can push yourself in strength training just the same as you can in running.

I'm still in the process of losing weight. I want to get as thin as I can before I start dumbbell work outs. I don't see any reason that it won't happen, it's not as if I want to become a body builder. I'll lose the weight then " tighten " myself up. Yes it will happen. I've seen it done, my mate done it and looks great.

He's not doubting you will lose weight mate. He is saying that you won't turn into a bodybuilder as soon as you start lifting.

All goes down to what you want to look like. I wouldn't want to look like long distance runners do but would want to be lean.

I have done the running route and the strength training route and the strength wins easily for getting a physique that isn't just skin and bones, which is what I find long distance running does. Lose fat but also lose all muscle definition that you have. With my strength training I still have cardio involved but that is more farmers carrys, prowler and short distance sprints within a circuit of exercises. Which keeps my fitness levels up but also lets me work towards a body that I want.

You can push yourself in strength training just the same as you can in running.

He's not doubting you will lose weight mate. He is saying that you won't turn into a bodybuilder as soon as you start lifting.

I don't want to become a body builder. I think some wires must have been crossed here, all I'm aiming to do is tighten up my body after losing the weight I intend to lose.

Funny how this bloke got ripped after losing all the weight he did, or would he have been better off lifting without losing the weight first? And I'm in no way near the size he was when he started his journey. [/url]

I'll put £100 on the table right now that you will not "look like a bodybuilder" in your words. Ain't gonna happen naturally.

You're missing the point and I along with numerous others on here with plenty knowledge and experience have tried to guide you into losing weight whilst building muscle but as I sad it's up to you whether you take it on board or ignore it.

I'm sure you can understand the frustration of some people starting numerous threads asking for advice, getting it and ignoring, taking a safer or more convenient option though?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back