Louis Theroux: Surviving America's Most Hated Family

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you ever watched any of his documentaries before? That’s literally his whole persona, loveable know nothing. It’s the perfect means to get them to open themselves up.
Oh yeah, I've watched all of his docs. It just amazes me still.

To be fair this one he has been a little more confrontational, this might be the last time he visits them.

Oh yeah, I've watched all of his docs. It just amazes me still.

To be fair this one he has been a little more confrontational, this might be the last time he visits them.

I suppose if he went in there telling everyone how awful they are he wouldn’t get them to dig their own graves. Much like when he visited the Neo-Nazis. Play the fool and let them hang themselves.

He’s definitely tried to hit some more nerves than usual this time.

I was sure there was a term for a female version of his “character” in plays. A woman who pretends to be stupid but isn’t.

Last edited:
This is on tonight at 9pm on BBC2. Absolutely amazed somebody hasn't had a proper go at them.

I don't advocate violence but it's generally not a good idea to picket army veterans funerals amongst seemingly branding everybody who isn't them the anti-christ. It's his third documentary on them now and it seems they appear to be the wane anyway.

Not another Kardashian and Trump documentary.

Have you ever watched any of his documentaries before? That’s literally his whole persona, loveable know nothing. It’s the perfect means to get them to open themselves up.
The reason I've never really liked him
"You're mother died ,you must have been upset " type of dumb questions
He seems to have grown a pair as he's got older ,winding people up a bit and taking them to task

I suppose if he went in there telling everyone how awful they are he wouldn’t get them to dig their own graves. Much like when he visited the Neo-Nazis. Play the fool and let them hang themselves.

He’s definitely tried to hit some more nerves than usual this time.

I was sure there was a term for a female version of his “character” in plays. A woman who pretends to be stupid but isn’t.
Look at that lass, you can tell she just wants her children back so much.

Religions f***ing evil like.

It’s pleasing how there’s only around 70 members of the group and they don’t seem to recruit very well. On the flip side it’s amazing how notorious they are for such a small group, all through their hatred.

He seems to have grown a pair as he's got older ,winding people up a bit and taking them to task

:)

Nah but it works perfectly for him. People get comfortable around him and open up.

I can understand why the first response would be distaste, but he’s a documentary maker and he gets people to tell their own story / open up by using that tactic. Like it or not it works incredibly well.

:)

Nah but it works perfectly for him. People get comfortable around him and open up.
A program deciding what you want to type is different to what comes out of your mouth though

I can understand why the first response would be distaste, but he’s a documentary maker and he gets people to tell their own story / open up by using that tactic. Like it or not it works incredibly well.
He's done well because his approach is different ,a lot of his topics are quite open in their thoughts and beliefs so we aren't learning much .He gets the inside angle sometimes by appearing harmless .

Last edited:
Says it's only on for 40 minutes now, how the fuck can they cut 20 minutes out of if man, Louis must be fuming
I was watching a documentary about the space shuttle on BBC4 and twenty minutes in, just as they were about to explain why Challenger blew up, the show cut out and Wimbledon came on without warning. Apparently this was why Top Gear was late as well, then they bumped the tennis from BBC 2 to 4. Really annoying and very amateurish from the Beeb when they could have just put it on the red button.

Class that Phelpsy has a Mother Theresa moment at the end like.
What happened? Haven't had a chance to see it yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was watching a documentary about the space shuttle on BBC4 and twenty minutes in, just as they were about to explain why Challenger blew up, the show cut out and Wimbledon came on without warning. Apparently this was why Top Gear was late as well, then they bumped the tennis from BBC 2 to 4. Really annoying and very amateurish from the Beeb when they could have just put it on the red button.

What happened? Haven't had a chance to see it yet.
Apparently towards the end Grampa Phelps had some form of brain disease (no pun intended) but I can't remember which one they said.

And he tried to make peace with the gay charity in the rainbow house across the road shouting that they were good people.

He was subsequently overthrown, excommunicated because brain disease must be an act of God and a "council of elders" took over.

Not sure why he's bothering to give them more airtime. Absolutely pointless documentary and he has completely lost his chill. Disappointing.

I saw Louis Theroux years ago in T3 airside at Heathrow,he was buying reading material from WHS for a flight,tall gangly guy,pleasant enough though.

The mother who was so loud and brash and confrontational looked and sounded broken. 3 of her children leaving, knowing that she will never see them again if she stays in the church, has done to her what it would do to any of us.

Louis went after that documentary maker who ended up living there. I got the impression of Louis thinking that bloke is more of a loudmouth bigot and using the church as a platform, rather than a believer, so was openly hostile to him.

It's incredibly despairing in so many ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back