Looking for a new career

He only teaches one day a week too, it's mental.
At this point in my course (half way) I’m teaching 60% of the weekly lessons and I’m out at training 1 day per week and have another 2 afternoons out of the classroom for planning and PGCE time. So it’s a full on course.

At this point in my course (half way) I’m teaching 60% of the weekly lessons and I’m out at training 1 day per week and have another 2 afternoons out of the classroom for planning and PGCE time. So it’s a full on course.
He seems to have it easy, he's at uni one day, placement another and that's it.

A fella my dad worked with as a copper went to Hong Kong to work, retired then got work in a humanitarian role and did work identifying people in mass graves in Bosnia eventually
He has travelled the world, got an OBE and now has a 'job' organising cricket tours for the England team.

Amazing bloke and a MLF as well
Was he a copper in Honkers Rich?

Was he a copper in Honkers Rich?
Yep - He left sometime in the 80s - he was good mates with my dad before he left then when I moved to Keswick in 1998 my missus made friends with a lovely lass who turned out to be his daughter. Im still good friends with her and her husband they are a lovely family

I handed my notice in at work and want to change my career.
I’m taking 3 months off so have some time to gather my thoughts and set myself up.

The problem is, I’m 40. Has anyone took on a new career at that age? What did you do
I left the military after 27 years at the age of 44. It’s a big leap but you’ve got to back yourself - joined a big firm in one role, didn’t work out. Now with the same company but in my third role and love it.

I’m a big believer in making your own luck, keep making decisions and maintain your self belief. Good luck!

A fella my dad worked with as a copper went to Hong Kong to work, retired then got work in a humanitarian role and did work identifying people in mass graves in Bosnia eventually
He has travelled the world, got an OBE and now has a 'job' organising cricket tours for the England team.

Amazing bloke and a MLF as well
Sounds far fetched! Goes by the name safcforever??

I’m 45 and gone from a travel/contact centre background and I left my job in August to train to become a teacher
How do you find being a teacher. I looked into it and I will take a drop in pay for a few years but then surprising I’d be pretty competitive with my last/current job.
Is it $10k for your Canuck HGV?
I got it back in 2014. Think it cost me $4k in total
None of this is true
Listen boss, it’s happening. I handed my notice in the second my bonus cleared in the bank.

Last edited:
Yep - He left sometime in the 80s - he was good mates with my dad before he left then when I moved to Keswick in 1998 my missus made friends with a lovely lass who turned out to be his daughter. Im still good friends with her and her husband they are a lovely family
Honkers was a great place in the early 90’s with lots of opportunities he must have loved it in the 80’s,great life.

How do you find being a teacher. I looked into it and I will take a drop in pay for a few years but then surprising I’d be pretty competitive with my last/current job.

I got it back in 2014. Think it cost me $4k in total

Listen boss, it’s happening. I handed my notice in the second my bonus cleared in the bank.
It’s full on working towards QTS and PGCE as well as planning and teaching. It’s only a Sept -June course. The teaching time builds up over the course of the placements but so far.. it’s been good, stressful but good. I’ve been very lucky in that the 2 placements I’ve had have been within 10 minute drive.

You do have to have a degree (in anything) and grade c/4 in English, maths and science. I had to redo my maths and science so I did that over the summer last year while working.

It’s full on working towards QTS and PGCE as well as planning and teaching. It’s only a Sept -June course. The teaching time builds up over the course of the placements but so far.. it’s been good, stressful but good. I’ve been very lucky in that the 2 placements I’ve had have been within 10 minute drive.

You do have to have a degree (in anything) and grade c/4 in English, maths and science. I had to redo my maths and science so I did that over the summer last year while working.

Which Uni are you studying with?

Sunderland Uni do it too. There are some great bursaries, depending on your level 3 qualification/background.
There’s a lot of uni that do it alongside an initial teacher training course.

I looked at Durham Scitt, Carmel CTTP, Teach First, Teach North East and Gateshead Scitt.

There’s a lot of uni that do it alongside an initial teacher training course.

I looked at Durham Scitt, Carmel CTTP, Teach First, Teach North East and Gateshead Scitt.

The school ones are more intensive as you have to be there all of the time, rather than just 120 days I think.

Back