Looking for a new career

I handed my notice in at work and want to change my career.
I’m taking 3 months off so have some time to gather my thoughts and set myself up.

The problem is, I’m 40. Has anyone took on a new career at that age? What did you do
My brother went to Uni and now works as a social worker but good luck mate.

I wanna learn a trade but again, being 40 is a little late to be someone’s apprentice.
Maybe electrician or a plumber.
One of those house framing chippies I spoke to recently was earning $100k a year and had a decent lifestyle for a single bloke.And I met a guy who did a plumbing course,said it was a licence to print money,I think he studied for two years near Toronto,Humber college maybe?

I handed my notice in at work and want to change my career.
I’m taking 3 months off so have some time to gather my thoughts and set myself up.

The problem is, I’m 40. Has anyone took on a new career at that age? What did you do
Telecomms/elec engineer to about 43. Started getting health and safety and fire safety quals from then now a health and safety fire safety consultant been doing it about 10 year now.

Qualified as a Social Worker at 49. University the lot with no previous qualifications
This would kill me. I’m getting softer as I get older.
My empathy didn’t exist 5 years ago, now it’s taking over a lot of decisions I make
One of those house framing chippies I spoke to recently was earning $100k a year and had a decent lifestyle for a single bloke.And I met a guy who did a plumbing course,said it was a licence to print money,I think he studied for two years near Toronto,Humber college maybe?
Plumbing in a Winnipeg winter will be hard work :lol:
But yeah, once I get some experience I can only see myself as a free lance.
Telecomms/elec engineer to about 43. Started getting health and safety and fire safety quals from then now a health and safety fire safety consultant been doing it about 10 year now.
I done a course on H&S before I left the UK. Means nothing out here like

Last edited:
This would kill me. I’m getting softer as I get older.
My empathy didn’t exist 5 years ago, now it’s taking over a lot of decisions I make
Thats a plus for the job mate , emotional intelligence . Can be hard when you have to take the least worst option when theres not a good one . Training and supervision helps though.

Given your experience have you considered delivering vehicles for dealers? I did a bit of it - cars only. Can be a bit hit and miss but you get to move around. If you have a HGV licence....

I've changed careers. I had a lot of luck and backed it up with a bit of hard work. Good luck.

Not everyone has the skills to pass the key criteria skills sift, regardless of their actual job experience. I worked there many moons ago, know people who still work there now and who are involved with the recruitment process, and loads of people fail to actually answer the questions and have the ability to write exactly what they did and what the outcomes were. Having said that I know a few externals who have been recruited in to HO grades who must have interviewed well but have been absolutely shite and obviously didnt have the skills and competencies for the job, and just blagged it.

Two of the interview questions that always came up for me (since leaving the civil service), I had fantastic fictitious examples of, totally made up, knew them inside and out, but obviously scored highly as always got the job :)
The way they recruit is pretty stupid. They want predetermined answers to stupid questions and don't even consider qualifications etc. They must lose out on loads of potentially good employees.

A fella my dad worked with as a copper went to Hong Kong to work, retired then got work in a humanitarian role and did work identifying people in mass graves in Bosnia eventually
He has travelled the world, got an OBE and now has a 'job' organising cricket tours for the England team.

Amazing bloke and a MLF as well

Back