Looking for a new career

Last edited:
I handed my notice in at work and want to change my career.
I’m taking 3 months off so have some time to gather my thoughts and set myself up.

The problem is, I’m 40. Has anyone took on a new career at that age? What did you do

I'm considering it now I'm 39 this year.

Only problem is what I want to do requires experience and I don't have any. I don't have the resources to volunteer.

Tax is shite.

That new boss. My team left, the new batch mostly left and now I’m struggling to hold on to anyone. I’ve asked for help for the last 3 months and not getting anything.
so I have to leave

I don’t like the idea of that

I wish I had a carer
Nightmare, you should raise a grievance and go out all gunzablazing !!!!
You shouldn't have to leave ffs 😞

Moved from R&D into sales 6 years ago when I was 44. Best thing I ever did. I was head hunted mind so they wanted me but I was ready for a move anyway. Never looked back since

May help If we knew your current and desired jobs. There will be transferable skills and its about looking at filling skills gaps and gaining experience whilst in other roles if you can't volunteer.
Ex army, done 18 months as a trucker in Canada. Transport manager for 3 years.

6 years in the railway. I want to break away completely from the railway. Money is great but the bullshit and the politics is mentally draining. Just wanna go be a supervisor somewhere.
Took a coding course about a year ago and enjoyed it but once I got past web building I was way out of my depth. So it’s not really for me.

I wanna learn a trade but again, being 40 is a little late to be someone’s apprentice.
Maybe electrician or a plumber.
He is ex army, lorry driver with several restraining orders. If you believe what he posts of course.
The restraining order was a theoretical
Moved from R&D into sales 6 years ago when I was 44. Best thing I ever did. I was head hunted mind so they wanted me but I was ready for a move anyway. Never looked back since
What type of sales. I hate people so I don’t think I’d enjoy being directly reliant on the general public

Last edited:
Car detailing. Basically cleaning people's car as if showroom ready. I'd dothat if I had the space. Good money
I always liked the idea of a travelling version of this. You pay for my service and I turn up to your work or home, so a service, clean, fuel etc.
people are lazy and/or love convenience
This. Sounds like constructive dismissal. You were forced to leave cos they made it so intolerable
The line I hear every time someone quits (was a weekly occurrence but now monthly)
Some people aren’t cut out for this industry.
Some of us have been in it for years, I’m 6 years in, bother lad over 10 years and others between that. All left

Last edited:
Ex army, done 18 months as a trucker in Canada. Transport manager for 3 years.

6 years in the railway. I want to break away completely from the railway. Money is great but the bullshit and the politics is mentally draining. Just wanna go be a supervisor somewhere.
Took a coding course about a year ago and enjoyed it but once I got past web building I was way out of my depth. So it’s not really for me.

I wanna learn a trade but again, being 40 is a little late to be someone’s apprentice.
Maybe electrician or a plumber.

The restraining order was a theoretical

What type of sales. I hate people so I don’t think I’d enjoy being directly reliant on the general public
If you are mechanically minded you could go and work on the wind turbines. There’s a lot of greenskills funding kicking around the North East at the minute which will put you through a “boot camp” to give you the main tickets to get into the game plus some sort of ancillary discipline like rope access or blade repair. Typically about 6 weeks of training which is fully funded.

Also a lot of the big industrial contractors like Altrad or Bilfinger are desperate for welders, platers, insulators etc, they’ve got Adult Education Budget (AEB) funding to put older people through apprenticeship type programmes which will pay you a wage while also funding the training. I’m pretty sure one of them has devised an “industrial operative” programme which is essentially like a mate who can do bits of everything and learns on the job. Money is good in that game at the minute, due to a skills shortage.

Last edited:
Can you play up front?

Depends what you want out of it marra. Need to decide that first really.

If it’s passion first and enjoyment then often you need to take a job you might not love at the same time as working that out.
Yes, he once claimed on here he was barcas top scorer one season. 😉

Back