Looking Ahead. December, Jan and Feb.

I still don't see a scenario with more lockdowns in the UK. Virtually closed borders is the most extreme I can envisage now, with the vaccine levels in the low 90's and hospitalisations/ICU beds/deaths all under control, inside the UK, masks may stay (maybe shouldn't have been dropped) - passports for major events and maybe even anything 250+, a fresh emphasis on home working is almost likely. Workplace and school testing into overdrive. But no more "stay at home" type stuff nor early closures.

They never admit it but its all about them. They pretend it's altruism and care for others but it's almost always self interest.

Yep. I was talking to someone from one of the big consultancy firms and he has found that some of the biggest agitators for lockdown simply just want to work from home and hate being asked to return to the office. They don’t give a shit about the damage it would do

Yep. I was talking to someone from one of the big consultancy firms and he has found that some of the biggest agitators for lockdown simply just want to work from home and hate being asked to return to the office. They don’t give a shit about the damage it would do

Damage what would do?

Damage what would do?

There is a huge part of the economy which is designed to support, or benefit from people, working from a central office: construction, transport, facilities management, cleaning, security, maintenance, catering, local pubs/restaurants/coffee shops, taxi firms etc etc

One of the reasons that TfL is in such financial ruins right now is fewer commuters mean a lot less income.

So while you may be happy working from home as a marketing executive, accountant or IT consultant, it's not such a rosy pictures if are an office cleaner, run a sandwich shop or work in a city centre pub.

There is a huge part of the economy which is designed to support, or benefit from people, working from a central office: construction, transport, facilities management, cleaning, security, maintenance, catering, local pubs/restaurants/coffee shops, taxi firms etc etc

One of the reasons that TfL is in such financial ruins right now is fewer commuters mean a lot less income.

So while you may be happy working from home as a marketing executive, accountant or IT consultant, it's not such a rosy pictures if are an office cleaner, run a sandwich shop or work in a city centre pub.
That's upto the businesses themselves though isn't it.

If they're happy with the way things are working with their staff WFH, why should they care about the sandwich shop around the corner?

If they're happy with the way things are working with their staff WFH, why should they care about the sandwich shop around the corner?

Individual business probably don't care too much but landlords, local authorities and central government will be bothered if there is a big downturn in economic activity in town and city centres. I would also guess those office cleaners, sandwich shop workers, Unions and Labour care too as it will be more likely to be lower paid non-professional workers who will be losing out.

The businesses might then care when they decide to return the office only to find all of the nearby facilities have shut down making their office a less attractive place to work.

Last edited:

That's true, but in many ways it's an extension of the effect the internet has had on city and town centres in regard to changing shopping practices: lots of people will have lost their jobs in retail due to the greater convenience of online shopping, but ultimately it's a tide you can't swim against. The office working model is increasingly obsolete in many sectors.

I think it's important to remember that many people wanting to work from home do still have legitimate concerns about this virus, too. If somebody can do the same job just as effectively remotely, IMO they'd be justified in not wanting to unnecessarily risk their health for the sake of keeping a sandwich shop open. I'd include myself in this as an immunocompromised person (albeit not working in a city centre I wasn't exactly spending a lot of money on sandwiches or impulse shopping anyway). The main impact on me personally is I refuse to use public transport now, mainly because of the refusal to properly enforce mask mandates and the like.

FTR I'm not in favour of any more lockdowns, but do support WFH, masks and passports in particular settings while the NHS is still struggling with this bastard thing.

Individual business probably don't care too much but landlords, local authorities and central government will be bothered if there is a big downturn in economic activity in town and city centres. I would also guess those office cleaners, sandwich shop workers, Unions and Labour care too as it will be more likely to be lower paid non-professional workers who will be losing out.

The businesses might then care when they decide to return the office only to find all of the nearby facilities have shut down making their office a less attractive place to work.
I'd imagine the ones that haven't returned yet probably don't have any intention to do so at all.

From their perspective, what is the point of this massive overhead if the business operates fine without it.

I'd imagine the ones that haven't returned yet probably don't have any intention to do so at all.

From their perspective, what is the point of this massive overhead if the business operates fine without it.

Some places are still keen to avoid confrontation with staff tbh mate.

It's not up to the business' which have the restrictions enforced upon them though? Or have the restrictions enforced on business' who they depend on. I understand your point about the free market and not caring for the local sandwich shop, but were not talking about one sandwich retailer or circumstance, we're talking about across the board economies. So when, for example, all of the business' that thrive and seek consultancies who WFH are out of business or struggling because of restrictions - things will come home to roost.

Back