Lockdown = Absolutely ZERO Flu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good point, no info this year. We need to retreat greed wise 50 years, start being a bit more spiritual and see if they start to leave us alone...first rule of thermodynamics...we gotta earn it!
The fist rule of thermodynamics is that energy can’t be created or destroyed.

Think we should ‘follow the science’ re: mask usage:

People such as yourself just don’t seem to get that science moves with the evidence.

It’s very telling, who gets confused by this. Those who are used to basing all their views on unchanging values, rather than an objective appraisal of the evidence, just can’t understand why the advice changed when new evidence came to light.

It is their own ignorance and lack of thinking skills, not the fault of the govt or the science.

Are we honestly supposed to believe that flu has just disappeared. Do they think we are that stupid.
It hasn’t disappeared but hasn’t cropped up in the reasonably low number of specific tests where usually it would be. This is definitely and obviously linked to lockdown and hygiene along with higher vaccination. To think that hasn’t massively reduced flu transmission would be ridiculous. There undoubtedly will be people that have had flu, some will have assumed they had Covid-19 and some people that may have had Covid 19 will think they had flu. The tests are specific though so anyone tested will know to a high degree of accuracy. I work across care homes and hospitals and there’s also been no Nora virus outbreaks, you can’t confuse that with Covid and it’s incidence reduction is almond entirely down to better hand washing.

I hope employers are more sensible in future when staff have a mild cold. It’s not really about how ill they are (not very) but about preventing spread. And as has been said, if they can work from home even better
Thing is, a mild cold for person A could be a much worse issue for person B in the office when they catch it.
Everyone on my mam's side of my family has a tendency for chest infections. I typically end up on antibiotics every other year for it, my mam 1-2 times per year.
The fist rule of thermodynamics is that energy can’t be created or destroyed.
The first rule of thermodynamics also isn't the first rule of thermodynamics, which is fun.
The rules of thermodynamics start with the zeroth law :)
Think we should ‘follow the science’ re: mask usage:

Do you have ANY idea how science works?
When new evidence is provided, the answers can change

That's what science is

The opposite is where crap like religion comes from - where facts don't change the dogma, no matter what.

Last edited:
Thing is, a mild cold for person A could be a much worse issue for person B in the office when they catch it.
Everyone on my mam's side of my family has a tendency for chest infections. I typically end up on antibiotics every other year for it, my mam 1-2 times per year.

The first rule of thermodynamics also isn't the first rule of thermodynamics, which is fun.
The rules of thermodynamics start with the zeroth law :)

Do you have ANY idea how science works?
When new evidence is provided, the answers can change

That's what science is

The opposite is where crap like religion comes from - where facts don't change the dogma, no matter what.

Fancy reviewing my science? Others dont want to just in case it changes things, saying things like "make the nasty man go away" I'm afraid I wont :cool:

Fancy reviewing my science? Others dont want to just in case it changes things, saying things like "make the nasty man go away" I'm afraid I wont :cool:
Sorry, my mailbox was full.
To be honest, unless its something I'm personally interested in, I don't really have much time - work is very busy, kids are ill, and I've got half my floor up for replacement :)

Sorry, my mailbox was full.
To be honest, unless its something I'm personally interested in, I don't really have much time - work is very busy, kids are ill, and I've got half my floor up for replacement :)

Same here without kids lol, but not a serious request as it is one simple diagram...you either get it or you crawl back under your stone. Cheers anyway 👍

Last edited:
Same here without kids lol, but not a serious request as it is one simple diagram...you either get it or you crawl back under your stone. Cheers anyway 👍
What?

But ok, send it over.
To be fair to the Government (!) I think they were desperate for PPE back then. They needed all available PPE for NHS and care workers.
I did have a suspicion that this was the real reason for the message at that time.
Once supplies were increased, the message changed.

I'll usually get a two or three chest infections every year, at least one laid up in bed a couple of days. Had nowt like that the past 12 months.

What?

But ok, send it over.

I did have a suspicion that this was the real reason for the message at that time.
Once supplies were increased, the message changed.

It's in word format, so not possible...but it can wait, get your floor finished.

ps. 12 mm is a doddle over the cheap stuff.

People such as yourself just don’t seem to get that science moves with the evidence.

It’s very telling, who gets confused by this. Those who are used to basing all their views on unchanging values, rather than an objective appraisal of the evidence, just can’t understand why the advice changed when new evidence came to light.

It is their own ignorance and lack of thinking skills, not the fault of the govt or the science.
“People like yourself”, don’t understand that senior scientists (that have climbed the ladder to become trusted advisors to government and world bodies) are not free to (or inevitably interested in) acting entirely in accordance with their own beliefs and paying no attention to political interference or intervention.

Can the scientific consensus on the efficacy of masks change over time - absolutely.

Can decades of scientific consensus change overnight from ‘probably a bit pointless/ potential to cause as much harm as any good’ to ‘utterly essential’ overnight? Absolutely no chance.

Could a government keen to ‘be seen to be doing something’ seek to negotiate support (for an intervention its scientist were largely ambivalent about), as part of the negotiation on measures to be introduced? Could this change be implemented overnight? Absolutely.

... ps keep attacking the person rather than the argument if you think that’s an effective way of getting your message across. 🤷‍♂️

It's in word format, so not possible...but it can wait, get your floor finished.

ps. 12 mm is a doddle over the cheap stuff.
6mm ply arrived earlier. Got LVT to put down on top (& rolls of underlay of course).

Put the word file on a cloud storgae somewhere and send the URL mate.

“People like yourself”, don’t understand that senior scientists (that have climbed the ladder to become trusted advisors to government and world bodies) are not free to (or inevitably interested in) acting entirely in accordance with their own beliefs and paying no attention to political interference or intervention.

Can the scientific consensus on the efficacy of masks change over time - absolutely.

Can decades of scientific consensus change overnight from ‘probably a bit pointless/ potential to cause as much harm as any good’ to ‘utterly essential’ overnight? Absolutely no chance.

Could a government keen to ‘be seen to be doing something’ seek to negotiate support (for an intervention its scientist were largely ambivalent about), as part of the negotiation on measures to be introduced? Could this change be implemented overnight? Absolutely.

... ps keep attacking the person rather than the argument if you think that’s an effective way of getting your message across. 🤷‍♂️

I can see both sides of the argument...debate of the week for me, carry on guys 👍
6mm ply arrived earlier. Got LVT to put down on top (& rolls of underlay of course).

Put the word file on a cloud storgae somewhere and send the URL mate.

I don't have cloud...it's ok, not meant to be...but maybe swap floor pics at a later date :lol:

Last edited:

I attacked the argument. It just so happened I needed to explain why the person had misunderstood

The only people I have any interest in convincing are those who are unsure what the evidence says or how they should act.

You’re not someone who is yet to make up their mind, you have firmly fallen on the side of COVID scepticism.

I don’t disagree that political factors can get in the way, but it’s fairly unprecedented, in the UK at least, to have masks as a population-level intervention.

It isn’t that they didn’t know masks work in say, a lab environment, but whether or not masks would be likely to work at population-level, in the real world.

The strange thing about a virus is that it can't self-replicate but needs to invade a living host cell to reproduce. They are effectively rogue strands of DNA but mutations can occur in the reproduction process. Do they even qualify as a true form of life? So I don't think they can battle each other for dominance.

I've only had real flu a couple of times in my life, anyone remember Hong Kong flu of the early 1970s. Real flu is a f***ing bastard and you have difficulty even reaching the bathroom from your bedroom. It certainly wont have gone away. The strains we are fighting today are derivatives of the 1918/19 flu which they think was also the source of an epidemic in the 1800s and possibly the Middle Ages as well.

They tend to monitor the flu strains in Australia before producing the vaccine for the winter here in the UK.

Last edited:
They tend to monitor the flu strains in Australia before producing the vaccine for the winter here in the UK.

That is something that has been ignored on here. We have a whole flu season to get through in the Southern Hemisphere before our next one starts. If anything drastic happens, which I don't believe it will, we will have advance warning.

Think what is going to happen when they are testing millions of kids twice a week. This is going to properly mess with households, just the false positives alone will throw up 1000's of cases and families needing to isolate etc. Crackers.
I thought the problem with was false negatives. It's only picking up 50% of cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back