Lidl versus Aldi

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you compare like for like, they're no cheaper than other stores. They look cheaper as they compare their own brands with brand names.

They don't sell everything that I regularly buy so I still have to go elsewhere.

I hate the checkout. I'd rather pack bags as it's scanned. Given the queues and the time it takes to go through the checkout then bag everything at the shelf, it's no quicker than the other supermarkets.
Much better displays - they must employ decent staff.

I can't really tell the difference between the two. Lidl (I'm reminded) do some really quite decent tools, the type of thing that you only use occasionally, buy more on impulse, and don't want to pay top dollar for. I have had a good wood-turning lathe, a chainsaw and a range of hand sanders and planers from there over the last 5 years. Not good for first aid kits or prosthetic limbs if you have an accident though.

We go to both for different things and pretty much get everything we need from them combined . There's the odd few things we need to pop into one of the others for but it's got less and less .
Their prices are loads cheaper than branded and also stores own brand and a lot of the stuff we've tried it's nicer.
The shops are smaller so it's much quicker to get in and out with your shopping done.

Love their 'mars bar' type stuff which is just as nice but half the price

Going to try and buy 80% of my food / house stuff at Aldi / Lidl and pocket the difference

If there good enough for the Germans ....

Aldi. Far better quality on most things IMHO. Just misses a bakery
Agreed. Lidl are where Aldi used to be. They are improving though.

If you compare like for like, they're no cheaper than other stores. They look cheaper as they compare their own brands with brand names.

They don't sell everything that I regularly buy so I still have to go elsewhere.

I hate the checkout. I'd rather pack bags as it's scanned. Given the queues and the time it takes to go through the checkout then bag everything at the shelf, it's no quicker than the other supermarkets.
They are still cheaper when you compare them to their own brands.

Lidl imo. Surprised more aren't saying Aldi though.

They seem cheaper to me, although I don't do my main shop there tbf.

As for the scanning thing, at Houghton (and I presume all the newer ones) you pack at the checkout.

They are still cheaper when you compare them to their own brands.

I've tried them a few times but never really noticed much difference in the total price.

I play the loyalty card offers with the others. Currently working through a sheet of £8 off a £40 spend vouchers at Tesco. Bought some odds and ends at Sainsbury's the other day and that spat out a £10 off a £50 online shop. Will do that as either free click and collect or in a £1 delivery slot. Not been in Morrisons for a couple of weeks so will probably get a voucher next time I buy odds and ends.

I've tried them a few times but never really noticed much difference in the total price.

I play the loyalty card offers with the others. Currently working through a sheet of £8 off a £40 spend vouchers at Tesco. Bought some odds and ends at Sainsbury's the other day and that spat out a £10 off a £50 online shop. Will do that as either free click and collect or in a £1 delivery slot. Not been in Morrisons for a couple of weeks so will probably get a voucher next time I buy odds and ends.

8 for 40

I got a £9 for £60 spend one and the remainder are £6 off £60

not an issue as Ive been stocking up on booze for a party so bust the total each time

Don't think I've been in a Lidl but Aldi is my local so that's my regular. It's a little hit and miss but overall very good and the staff are canny.
Jaffa Cakes and pizzas are top notch. Veg is decent quality and bread is average. Always struggle with the chicken. Doesn't matter what the use by date is, it has always gone off if you don't use it within a day. On the other hand, their steaks are lovely.
Stuff like washing up liquid and washing tablets are all cheap as chips and do the job.
I even buy the own brand Nespresso pods but I think I'm just convincing myself that they are nice.

Their premium ranges notably differ in price and are often superior to the bigger supermarket's equivalent.

main issue I have is if I don't go in the morning its as if 200 football hooligans have been in and ransacked the place.

its as if they have to rebuild it everyday

ALDI.
There's an Aldi and a Lidl within spitting distance of each other at Bish, with the Lidl having the better location.

The Aldi is choc a bloc every time I go in.
The Lidl I've never seen really busy.

Speaks for itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back