Levelling a floor.

Wished I had gone with the screed now. Ripped up the plywood to find cork tiles. Started scraping them off at 11am. Will finish the second half tomorrow.
Well you did the right thing mate. Well done. A pro job.
Buttering over the top of mistakes for ease is the wrong way to go.

Well you did the right thing mate. Well done. A pro job.
Buttering over the top of mistakes for ease is the wrong way to go.
Finally got the floor cleared late last night. Laying the sheeting today. Next time, I'll be asking for recommendations for someone to do it. Pleased I don't do this for a living.
I’m not getting involved. Vinyl tiles? In the 21st century? Uuuuurrrrgggghhhhhh.
You'll be pleased to know there's a change of plan. Vinyl sheeting now, not tiles.

Finally got the floor cleared late last night. Laying the sheeting today. Next time, I'll be asking for recommendations for someone to do it. Pleased I don't do this for a living.

You'll be pleased to know there's a change of plan. Vinyl sheeting now, not tiles.
Sorry mate I've only just seen the thread. This is what I've been doing for a living for the last 30 years.
Not sure who told you to rip up the ply. I'd have just gone straight over with new 6mm ply for your height unless it was water damaged in some way.
Anybody telling you to put 6mm of screed onto a timber floor is talking shite to be honest. You would be absolutely taking a needless risk pouring a leveling compound on timber with regards to movement and cracking/breaking up, when you have the simple option of plywood. So despite your problems with the cork take solace in the fact you didn't go down that path.

We use a 5.5mm FC sheet here. Especially in wet areas. We nail and stick it down then skim coat the joins and I give it another skim over the whole thing with a product called feather finish. Ardex, Mapei and all the major brands make a version of this. These skim coats are less than 1mm thick in total.

Good luck with the install.

Wished I had gone with the screed now. Ripped up the plywood to find cork tiles. Started scraping them off at 11am. Will finish the second half tomorrow.
When were cork tiles a thing?

We found them on a wall (under some very shoddy wallpapering) when we moved into our house. Fuckers took everything off with them.

When were cork tiles a thing?

We found them on a wall (under some very shoddy wallpapering) when we moved into our house. Fuckers took everything off with them.
Sometime between August 1974, when the house was built and shortly after 6th May 1982, as that was the date of the newspaper sandwich between the tiles and the plywood above it.
I looked at Karndean stuff recently - and found solid oak wood flooring to be cheaper. Its mental!
It’s amazing how long the hardwood lasts too. The one I lifted was manufactured 1991 by junkers. 28 years down and if it wasn’t for the warping and stoning caused by a leaky toilet it could have stayed.

Last edited:
It’s amazing how long the hardwood lasts too. The one I lifted was manufactured 1991 by junkers. 28 years down and if it wasn’t for the warping and stoning caused by a leaky toilet it could have stayed.
In fairness, I think Karndean flooring is guaranteed for life (as long as its fitted by an authorised fitter). Still though, I'd rather have the solid floor.

I looked at Karndean stuff recently - and found solid oak wood flooring to be cheaper. Its mental!

The most expensive Karndean is around £70 a meter, although there are cheaper ranges.
It's lovely stuff though. Depends what you want really, solid wood needs looking after, LVT just needs mopping ;)

The most expensive Karndean is around £70 a meter, although there are cheaper ranges.
It's lovely stuff though. Depends what you want really, solid wood needs looking after, LVT just needs mopping ;)
Plus fitting though.

LVT needs that surface protection putting on, and refreshing periodically, doesn't it?

Plus fitting though.

LVT needs that surface protection putting on, and refreshing periodically, doesn't it?

Yeah, fitting is quite expensive.
You can apply a surface protector to it but you don't have to and we don't have one on ours and my husband sells Karndean. He says all he knows is, people who buy it (Karndean) come back for more.

What’s best for levelling a floor to take vinyl tiles? Plywood or self levelling compound?

I’m replacing the floor in a downstairs bathroom, about 3 x 3m. The existing subfloor is tongue and groove floorboards and there is 6mm ply down already. It was under the hardwood floor I’ve just removed. It looks in good nick, just a few nail heads slightly raised, but these have been hammered back in. I’ll need to raise the level of the floor about 6mm to match the hallway level so, am I best doubling up the plywood or covering in self levelling compound?
Pour concrete over it and use a vibrator to get the bubbles out and it will level. This is not a joke.

It’s all about the correct application. To get a good finish with vinyl, a flush finish makes all the difference. Screed is the best way to achieve this, certainly in an slightly older house which has had a number of floors previously laid.
Disagree mate. Take it back to floorboards. Work from there.im sick of lifting floors with 2/3 coverings. Lazy twats.Also, pouring screed on a floor with multiple coverings won't end well. Screed is great for an uneven cement floor but as long as your wooden floor is level, overplying it is by far better for a lvt floor.

Back