Levelling a floor.

Wished I had gone with the screed now. Ripped up the plywood to find cork tiles. Started scraping them off at 11am. Will finish the second half tomorrow.

Wished I had gone with the screed now. Ripped up the plywood to find cork tiles. Started scraping them off at 11am. Will finish the second half tomorrow.

I fitted new flooring at my mam and dad’s house yesterday. 6mm ply on top of the original and new floor boards, then 33 rows of 5” floor boards using a secret nailer.
The flooring flew in and it was good to get my hands dirty again.

Sorry to hear yours hasn’t gone to plan. It’s always the tricky ones which end up taking three times longer than planned.

I fitted new flooring at my mam and dad’s house yesterday. 6mm ply on top of the original and new floor boards, then 33 rows of 5” floor boards using a secret nailer.
The flooring flew in and it was good to get my hands dirty again.

Sorry to hear yours hasn’t gone to plan. It’s always the tricky ones which end up taking three times longer than planned.
Should have listened to you Kev, screed would be drying nicely now. With the cork tiles never to be known of!

Should have listened to you Kev, screed would be drying nicely now. With the cork tiles never to be known of!

It’s all about the correct application. To get a good finish with vinyl, a flush finish makes all the difference. Screed is the best way to achieve this, certainly in an slightly older house which has had a number of floors previously laid.

Why did you take the first ply up?
Absolutely nothing wrong with putting ply on top of ply to get to the level you want. Plenty of screws, and it's solid as a rock.
Take the 6mm up and put 12mm down if your looking to make up 6mm.

you’ll make a right f***ing mess with screed .
Why? Why not just a second sheet of 6mm on top?

Last edited:
Absolutely nothing wrong with putting ply on top of ply to get to the level you want. Plenty of screws, and it's solid as a rock.

If you laminate the existing floor with thin sheets, as each is laid it follows the original levels. A single thicker sheet will level unevenness better than a number of thinner plys which equal the final combined thickness.

If you laminate the existing floor with thin sheets, as each is laid it follows the original levels. A single thicker sheet will level unevenness better than a number of thinner plys which equal the final combined thickness.
Yeah, a little better. Except where there's an existing defect in the floor, and the thicker sheets show that up even more.
You lay in a different pattern too, with 8x6 sheets, you're really not getting any advantage imo. It would have been absolutely fine for vinyl flooring.

Where were the cork tiles?
Under the plywood, direct on the boards. Took the ply up as suggested. Discovered the tiles and due to the new ply already being bought and cut I thought I’d just scrape them up no bother. Famous last words.

Bit late with the discussion now marra. The floor is looking a bit better as I scraped off a few more after heating them with a hairdryer. Thanks to YouTube for that one.

Last edited:
Under the plywood, direct on the boards. Took the ply up as suggested. Discovered the tiles and due to the new ply already being bought and cut I thought I’d just scrape them up no bother. Famous last words.

Bit late with the discussion now marra. The floor is looking a bit better as I scraped off a few more after heating them with a hairdryer. Thanks to YouTube for that one.
Have you considered a carpet?

Back