Levelling a floor.

MackemBob

Striker
What’s best for levelling a floor to take vinyl tiles? Plywood or self levelling compound?

I’m replacing the floor in a downstairs bathroom, about 3 x 3m. The existing subfloor is tongue and groove floorboards and there is 6mm ply down already. It was under the hardwood floor I’ve just removed. It looks in good nick, just a few nail heads slightly raised, but these have been hammered back in. I’ll need to raise the level of the floor about 6mm to match the hallway level so, am I best doubling up the plywood or covering in self levelling compound?

Water based self levelling compound

Last edited:
What’s best for levelling a floor to take vinyl tiles? Plywood or self levelling compound?

I’m replacing the floor in a downstairs bathroom, about 3 x 3m. The existing subfloor is tongue and groove floorboards and there is 6mm ply down already. It was under the hardwood floor I’ve just removed. It looks in good nick, just a few nail heads slightly raised, but these have been hammered back in. I’ll need to raise the level of the floor about 6mm to match the hallway level so, am I best doubling up the plywood or covering in self levelling compound?

Double up with WBP ply- i m not sure self levelling will bond to the existing plywood.

Water based self levelling compound

He needs to apply a PVA coating to the ply first. This will also help to seal any small gaps. A epoxy screed is best for both a ply substrate and a vinyl floor.
Is this stuff the epoxy screed?

He needs to apply a PVA coating to the ply first. This will also help to seal any small gaps. A epoxy screed is best for both a ply substrate and a vinyl floor.
As said the mapei is spot on and the self leveling which is used mostly in the trade. The best you can get basically.

Go for the stuff with the mapei latex mixing fluid, adds a bit to the cost but adds flexibility to the compound and ideal for wood floor.

Last edited:

Have you considered vinyl sheet mate ?

Depending on vinyl tile colour it doesn’t take long for those lovely sharp clean joints to get grubby. The water can seep into the joints as well.

Ps I m not suggesting you have dirty feet.

Take the 6mm up and put 12mm down if your looking to make up 6mm.

you’ll make a right f***ing mess with screed .

Take the 6mm up and put 12mm down if your looking to make up 6mm.

you’ll make a right f***ing mess with screed .
I am quite competent and have laid a screed before but that was for laying quarry tiles, in a slightly smaller area in a Victorian tenement.

I’ll have another look in the morning.
Have you considered vinyl sheet mate ?

Depending on vinyl tile colour it doesn’t take long for those lovely sharp clean joints to get grubby. The water can seep into the joints as well.

Ps I m not suggesting you have dirty feet.
A good point. As it’s downstairs it does get a fair bit of use straight from the outdoors so, could well be outdoor shoes being worn in there regularly. Would using sheeting mean the subfloor would need to be done differently?

Last edited:

Back