Leccy cars

I’m currently arguing with morons on FB who keep posting the “what’s your electric car going to do when you’re stuck in the snow?” meme. I actually went out and checked last night - mine uses 0.8 kW to keep the climate at 18 degrees when stationary, so that would give me 80 hours on a full charge, assuming it was running constantly. If I’m stuck more than 80 hours I’ve got bigger problems than staying warm.

Aye mine works through the night plus anytime its quiet so it charges on an afternoon for the same price too
Yeah, I don't think the older Leafs are compatible with the "very" smart charging plans though.

I’m currently arguing with morons on FB who keep posting the “what’s your electric car going to do when you’re stuck in the snow?” meme. I actually went out and checked last night - mine uses 0.8 kW to keep the climate at 18 degrees when stationary, so that would give me 80 hours on a full charge, assuming it was running constantly. If I’m stuck more than 80 hours I’ve got bigger problems than staying warm.
How often have any of us been actually stuck in snow for a long time? Doesn't make much sense that one.
Plus, I can pre-heat the car which demists and de-ices it for 15mins before I leave each morning, so I get into a lovely warm car with full battery. Sounds bliss tbh

Yeah, I don't think the older Leafs are compatible with the "very" smart charging plans though.

How often have any of us been actually stuck in snow for a long time? Doesn't make much sense that one.
Plus, I can pre-heat the car which demists and de-ices it for 15mins before I leave each morning, so I get into a lovely warm car with full battery. Sounds bliss tbh
I could but I only have it set to charge til 4.30am so it doesn’t work. Or maybe it does and I just haven’t bothered to read the instructions

Leaf arrived this evening, seems spot on. Had a test drive at the weekend, its really nice to drive.

Seeing as we only plan to do 4,000 miles max (probably half tbh) per year, I just ran the numbers on all those EV Tariffs, and its actually no better off for us. Quite shocked to find that. Suppose if we could shift loads of things to run overnight it would tip the balance, but it seems like a right faff on just to save a few quid.
Seems solar is the real answer....

Leaf arrived this evening, seems spot on. Had a test drive at the weekend, its really nice to drive.

Seeing as we only plan to do 4,000 miles max (probably half tbh) per year, I just ran the numbers on all those EV Tariffs, and its actually no better off for us. Quite shocked to find that. Suppose if we could shift loads of things to run overnight it would tip the balance, but it seems like a right faff on just to save a few quid.
Seems solar is the real answer....
I'm in a similar position to you. I just got a Corsa Electric 4 days ago.
It'll likely do 3000 miles per year or less.
I don't really need a wall charger (£800+) so the intelligent tariffs are no good.
I bought a 3-pin charger (£180) which will suffice 95% of the time. For the rest there's public chargers.

But I'm still thinking of switching to Octopus Go as that would give me 4 hours every night at 9p/unit, which is enough for 40+ miles of charge per night, easily enough to keep the car fully charged considering my mileage will be more like 10 miles/day.
I haven't seen the downside to this. What have you found that makes it not worthwhile to switch to this tariff?

I'm in a similar position to you. I just got a Corsa Electric 4 days ago.
It'll likely do 3000 miles per year or less.
I don't really need a wall charger (£800+) so the intelligent tariffs are no good.
I bought a 3-pin charger (£180) which will suffice 95% of the time. For the rest there's public chargers.

But I'm still thinking of switching to Octopus Go as that would give me 4 hours every night at 9p/unit, which is enough for 40+ miles of charge per night, easily enough to keep the car fully charged considering my mileage will be more like 10 miles/day.
I haven't seen the downside to this. What have you found that makes it not worthwhile to switch to this tariff?
The day time rate is about 3p higher, so for me that undoes all the benefit of the cheaper night rate

15 mins?
I put mine on for about 2-3 mins and it's toasty and all the ice has gone

The day time rate is about 3p higher, so for me that undoes all the benefit of the cheaper night rate
Have you mis-read the rates? Or are you on a cheaper tariff to start with?
I'm on the standard Flexible Octopus tariff at 29.28p/kWh and the daily Octopus Go tariff is 29.58p/kWh. That's just 0.3p/unit more.

there is a guy who tested this in his teslas.

The single biggest part is that EVs are usually drove away on a morning on full charge, not very many people fill their fuel tanks every morning. So the chances are the EV would likely last longer on average.

Been looking at EVs lately so get a lot of EV ads pushed to me on Facebook.
I've noticed there's always loads of laughing reactions on them which I found a bit odd - it's just an add for a car. So I checked a few out and it's aways older blokes who have 18 attempts at the same profile photo, studied at the University of Life or they are holding up a big fish. I reckon @SAFCOldie is one of them random laughers on EV adverts.

Test drove the Polestar and the i4 so far. Polestar the better of the two for me. i4 sexier but I'm not really a BMW type. More Volvo which is Polestar.
Need to get the ID4, Ionic 5 and the Kia whatever it's called test driven then decide.

there is a guy who tested this in his teslas.

The single biggest part is that EVs are usually drove away on a morning on full charge, not very many people fill their fuel tanks every morning. So the chances are the EV would likely last longer on average.

Currently yes since most people who have an EV have off street parking. As we move away from petrol, there'll be more & more who won't be in the position to have a fully charged car in the morning

Currently yes since most people who have an EV have off street parking. As we move away from petrol, there'll be more & more who won't be in the position to have a fully charged car in the morning

I think this is the single biggest problem longer term with EVs, far more so than anything to do with the grid. More and more people are getting solar panels on the roofs and batteries in their garages so they can charge an EV without actually using the grid. That's all fine for cars on a drive on charge. You can't be running charging cables across the pavement.

15 mins?
I put mine on for about 2-3 mins and it's toasty and all the ice has gone
Wow, even better than I thought.
Have you mis-read the rates? Or are you on a cheaper tariff to start with?
I'm on the standard Flexible Octopus tariff at 29.28p/kWh and the daily Octopus Go tariff is 29.58p/kWh. That's just 0.3p/unit more.
Aye, that's about 3p higher than the cap rate on a non-split time rate.

Last edited:
Been looking at EVs lately so get a lot of EV ads pushed to me on Facebook.
I've noticed there's always loads of laughing reactions on them which I found a bit odd - it's just an add for a car. So I checked a few out and it's aways older blokes who have 18 attempts at the same profile photo, studied at the University of Life or they are holding up a big fish. I reckon @SAFCOldie is one of them random laughers on EV adverts.

Test drove the Polestar and the i4 so far. Polestar the better of the two for me. i4 sexier but I'm not really a BMW type. More Volvo which is Polestar.
Need to get the ID4, Ionic 5 and the Kia whatever it's called test driven then decide.
ID4 is the VW one? I think the Cupra is basically the same car but a bit flashier.
The MG seems to get rave reviews too.
I think this is the single biggest problem longer term with EVs, far more so than anything to do with the grid. More and more people are getting solar panels on the roofs and batteries in their garages so they can charge an EV without actually using the grid. That's all fine for cars on a drive on charge. You can't be running charging cables across the pavement.
Yeah, it does feel like we're sleepwalking into an era where people without a driveway basically can't own a car. Or have to pay for public quick charging at double the rate.
When I leave work in the winter, I leave the ops room at 10pm.and put the car on charge then and it's about a 2 min walk to the car and it's toasty. The battery is so powerful. It's ace
I need to set up the remote control tools actually, haven't looked into that yet.

Last edited:

Back