Leccy cars

What’s the craic when learning in one
Are they treated as automatics

As ICE’s and manual cars are phased out will this be another thing young uns will be excluded from

Internet says

"Can I take my driving test in an electric car? Yes, you can take your driving test in an electric car, but keep in mind that you'll be given a category B auto licence if you pass. If you want to get a category B licence that allows you to drive manual cars, you'll have to take (and pass) your driving test in a manual."

I don't see a concern about young people being excluded, there is already a general push towards automatics. If you want to learn how to drive a manual someone will be teaching it, in the same way we still have motorbike, HGV and bus/coach schools.

I'd presume its the same as an auto licence. My current car is an auto, and when it's eventually replaced it's likely to be a hybrid. I'd be very surprised if I ever own a manual car again.

Always been that way, pass ur test in and auto and that’s all u can drive
I realise that - but most people just now will pass on a manual which automatically (pun intended) qualifies you do drive other types. I'm envisaging a scenario where both tests will become mandatory.

Learning in a manual in 2023 makes about as much sense as paying money to learn how to ride a penny farthing.

Passing in an automatic must take a fraction of the lessons.

Not really. When it comes to buying and getting insured for your first car. Something like a manual vw up with decent spec in good nick, buy for £4-5k insure for £300-400. There's far less choice that are autos at the entry level end of the car market place.

I realise that - but most people just now will pass on a manual which automatically (pun intended) qualifies you do drive other types. I'm envisaging a scenario where both tests will become mandatory.
I’m not sure why another test would be needed for an auto when you’ve passed in a manual, in truth we deliberately bought little in a manual car so she has at least a few years of that before the inevitable switch to auto at some point

Learning in a manual in 2023 makes about as much sense as paying money to learn how to ride a penny farthing.

Passing in an automatic must take a fraction of the lessons.
A odd post, to say the least. :lol:

Ice cars will be around for a very long time yet, so it makes perfect sense to learn in a manual. Then you can drive either, a no brainer tbh.
Additional revenue stream for the government - make everyone have to pass 2 driving tests.
But it’s one test if you pass in a manual. Two if your a daftie and learn in an auto and then want to drive a manual.

Last edited:
I’m not sure why another test would be needed for an auto when you’ve passed in a manual, in truth we deliberately bought little in a manual car so she has at least a few years of that before the inevitable switch to auto at some point
It’s not. Just the other way round.

What’s the craic when learning in one
Are they treated as automatics

As ICE’s and manual cars are phased out will this be another thing young uns will be excluded from

Erm all electric cars are automatic, there’s no need for gears. Harder you plant your foot faster it goes.

I have one it’s pure lazy driving and I’ve been driving 30 plus years, mine brakes when you take your foot off the accelerator.

In my honest opinion if you’re a petrol head you’ll hate it, if a car gets you from a to b, you’ll love it.

Erm all electric cars are automatic, there’s no need for gears. Harder you plant your foot faster it goes.

I have one it’s pure lazy driving and I’ve been driving 30 plus years, mine brakes when you take your foot off the accelerator.

In my honest opinion if you’re a petrol head you’ll hate it, if a car gets you from a to b, you’ll love it.
I quite enjoy driving my leccy car - the acceleration is something else compared to the last diesel lump I had. Most of my commute is on single carriageway country roads and being able to get passed tractors, buses and trucks is so much easier.

Back