Learning the guitar

Yeah I find learning to have natural rhythm in your strumming is a big part of the early stuff. Seems odd now to think I never had that as its just something that feels very natural now and once it's there you just never really think about it again. Was a while at the start where I was just randomly bashing the strings wondering why it didn't sound so good :lol:

I’ve decided to go to GuitarGuitar tomorrow. One of the reasons I was going to wait until I’m a better player before I bought my own guitar is because I’m a beginner and think I would feel a bit intimidated going into a shop. I thought I would wait until I can improvise a bit so I don’t look like a right dick 🤣

However I’ve just had an hours play and even though I am a beginner I am really really happy with how I’ve progressed in 4 months so I feel confident. I know it will be a welcoming place but i think it’s only natural to feel a bit dubious.

I’ve got all of the open chords nailed down. I can play barre chords, although changing between these and the open chords isn’t there yet. I know the minor pentatonic scale and I’ve been learning a few little blues licks so I’m sure I’ll be fine.

I want my own guitar now because I want my own that is personal to me to make even more progress on in the coming months and further. I have two borrowed guitars at the minute but I don’t want to continue progressing on them knowing they aren’t mine so I definitely intend to return home tomorrow with my own.
Good luck . Don’t worry about the shop staff just buy with your ears NOT your eyes

what feels good. What sounds good.

Ended up buying this. I’m really pleased I went into the shop because if I’d just ordered online like I was going to, I’d have bought the wrong guitar. The Epiphone SG just wasn’t for me at this moment in time.

So done my basic chords, got some simple strumming under my belt, and can play really boring basic versions of cord bashing through a song...... where am I meant to go next in guitar adventure? Scales? Picking? Power cords?

So done my basic chords, got some simple strumming under my belt, and can play really boring basic versions of cord bashing through a song...... where am I meant to go next in guitar adventure? Scales? Picking? Power cords?
Things I am doing/have done to help me transition from beginner to improver:

Get the little finger working. Do some spider exercises and similar things.

Play to a metronome. Really, really important.

Start playing E and A without the index finger. This is to prepare for playing barre chords.

Learn a few riffs. Lots of AC/DC stuff is simple enough and sounds superb.

Start singing and playing. At the very beginning I genuinely thought I’d never be able to do it but it finally clicked a couple of weeks back. Even if it’s just a down strum on the beat.

Play a 12 bar blues. It’s so much fun. Also learn a few easy blues licks.

If you’re willing to pay for an online course, I cannot recommend Andy Guitar enough. The structure and the instruction has made me progress beyond my wildest dreams in 4 months. I’m spending a couple of weeks on the last section of his beginner course before moving on to the improver course. There’s quite a lot of his content available for free on YouTube so you could check that out first.

Last edited:
Get through the pain on your finger tips. It does improve when they callus over.

Barre chords are so important but not easy , have to persevere.

If no natural rhythm then find it.

Metronome helps if no natural ear for timing.

Dont just pick up guitar once a week for an hour, it ain't a driving lesson.

Ended up buying this. I’m really pleased I went into the shop because if I’d just ordered online like I was going to, I’d have bought the wrong guitar. The Epiphone SG just wasn’t for me at this moment in time.

Were you sat on the left in the corner as you walk in?? If so I came in not long after you...I ended up buying a Gretsch!

If you have the basic chords why not stick some Creedence on and play along? Do it as Shambo says and bash along getting the chord changes right and then concentrate on the the strumming. You'll get to develop a 'feel' for the instrument.

For strumming it can be useful to use a lighter pick and moving to a heavier gauge as you progress.

Were you sat on the left in the corner as you walk in?? If so I came in not long after you...I ended up buying a Gretsch!
Yes. I was sat next to the selection of Gretsch’s. I was in from opening for nearly 2 hours.

I meant to try a Gretsch but ended up choosing the Tele from the ones I’d tried. He went away to the stock room to bring it up then I remembered I hadn’t tried one. I picked one up off a stand and literally played it for a minute or two before he returned with my Tele.

I hope my playing didn’t hurt your ears too much. That’s the first time I’ve ever sat down and tried guitars in a shop.

Yes. I was sat next to the selection of Gretsch’s. I was in from opening for nearly 2 hours.

I meant to try a Gretsch but ended up choosing the Tele from the ones I’d tried. He went away to the stock room to bring it up then I remembered I hadn’t tried one. I picked one up off a stand and literally played it for a minute or two before he returned with my Tele.

I hope my playing didn’t hurt your ears too much. That’s the first time I’ve ever sat down and tried guitars in a shop.

Aah yeah that was me hovering around the Gretsch guitars and then I sat down behind you to try guitars out. First time for me too trying guitars in a shop...it's a bit weird knowing what to try and play. I just kept my volume nice and low - hahaha!! Enjoy the Tele - great guitar! I tried a Strat but didn't like the feel of the neck as much as the Gretsch...plus I liked the slightly shorter scale on the Gretsch. I've not been able to put it down since yesterday!

Great choice. Those maple boards are so good.

Any good teachers kicking about? I really need some help. :D

Would a Dreadnought acoustic guitar be a bit awkward for a beginner to start on, size wise handling it etc?
The trend these days is for smaller bodied guitars but people have been playing and learning on dreads for years so it’s perfectly fine.

A smaller body guitar will be more comfy if you are sitting down on a settee rather than the larger body of a dread.

The trend these days is for smaller bodied guitars but people have been playing and learning on dreads for years so it’s perfectly fine.

A smaller body guitar will be more comfy if you are sitting down on a settee rather than the larger body of a dread.

thanks thats helpful

interesting thing is the smaller bodied acoustics seem to be more pricey than the dreadnoughts, at least on what I've been looking at

Back