Learning the guitar

It'll still work though I bet. Indestructible.

I just tune up relatively for the most part, and use an app on me phone for a bit of accuracy. On the rare occasions I gig it's the TU-3 all the way.
Yeah it's a beast! I did buy a berhinger one for my house board and it's great for under £20 and a rip off of the boss. I do use that shark tuner on my phone also.

TU3 just does the job, accurate and bright enough to see in the dark

Essential unless you are in the fortunate position to change guitar every song after having your tech tune it ready for you.

A TU 3 is cheaper.

Get ahold of Registry Guitar Tutor’s electric grade 2,3 & 4 books. Work your way through them, in increasing difficulty to learn the ‘shapes’ and a bit of the ‘behind the curtain’ theory.

Once you can play any major / major chord in a few positions (ideally including barres) start to look into chord progressions and how they’re built (YouTube job). Practise and apply what you’ve learned from the books to loop chords to practise scales over - a teacher at that point will get you flying.

Link to books
I invested in guitar theory for dummies ages ago I might have to dig it out.

Question for the experts on here. I’m in the market for a £500-ish electric guitar. If I were to buy one online, will it come setup and ready to use. Or is it better to buy from a shop and get it setup correctly. I will probably try a few out in a shop first anyway but was thinking I may find a better deal online once I’m decided on what I want.

Question for the experts on here. I’m in the market for a £500-ish electric guitar. If I were to buy one online, will it come setup and ready to use. Or is it better to buy from a shop and get it setup correctly. I will probably try a few out in a shop first anyway but was thinking I may find a better deal online once I’m decided on what I want.
It'll always need a set up.

EDIT:

To clarify, it should be perfectly playable out of the box but when you're spending 500 knicker on a guitar you're going to want it setting up properly. :lol:
Nice one. And if I bought from a shop - say GuitarGuitar - would they include that in the sale or would it be extra?
You'd have to ask them I think. I suspect it'll be a bare bones set up if anything.

Ok cheers.
Quite frankly, I'd advise to test some out at shops, ask about setups, see what they say. If it's extra or not forthcoming, get it cheaper online, see how it plays out of the box and if it needs anything doing get it properly set up.
I really need to get my reso set up as it happens, must try and sort that.
Edit again.

To clarify...

If you ask for a set up before you take it home they'll just sort the action and any fret buzz. But if you get it set up properly they'll sit with you a bit, see how you play, see how you want the guitar to play, check for intonation issues, check the nut slots etc. It's a proper service as a stand alone.

Last edited:
Nice one. And if I bought from a shop - say GuitarGuitar - would they include that in the sale or would it be extra?
Guitar Village will do a whole load of checks and will set it up for you before it ships. You get the detail through of what they checked and which member of staff did it. It's also one of the best guitar shops in the south.

Guitar shop UK | Over 1,000 guitars in stock

If you speak to GuitarGuitar and have an idea what you want from a set up they will do it for you.

Going for something like a Mexican Fender I have found they are pretty good out the box

If you speak to GuitarGuitar and have an idea what you want from a set up they will do it for you.

Going for something like a Mexican Fender I have found they are pretty good out the box
I have a bit of a shortlist. I always thought I would end up with a Les Paul, so Epiphone Les Paul is on the list. I can’t stop listening to AC/DC at the minute so Epiphone SG is also on the list. I am a big fan of the way the LTD EC-256 looks so that is also one I wouldn’t mind trying. I’m not a fan of the Stratocaster look but do like Tele’s so the Player Series is on my shortlist. I assume these are the Mexican built ones?

I have a bit of a shortlist. I always thought I would end up with a Les Paul, so Epiphone Les Paul is on the list. I can’t stop listening to AC/DC at the minute so Epiphone SG is also on the list. I am a big fan of the way the LTD EC-256 looks so that is also one I wouldn’t mind trying. I’m not a fan of the Stratocaster look but do like Tele’s so the Player Series is on my shortlist. I assume these are the Mexican built ones?

Yes it will be a Mexican Tele. Don’t let that put you off though. Mexican Fender instruments are excellent quality in my experience. Cracking guitar the tele, it’s bulletproof.

Yes it will be a Mexican Tele. Don’t let that put you off though. Mexican Fender instruments are excellent quality in my experience. Cracking guitar the tele, it’s bulletproof.
I’ve seen plenty of stuff online to suggest they’re a good guitar. Out of interest did yours come with a gig bag or case?

I’ve seen plenty of stuff online to suggest they’re a good guitar. Out of interest did yours come with a gig bag or case?
Just a shitty bag tbf. That’s partly where you lose out on a mexi fender. You will be getting basic tuners, pickups, gig bag etc. the actual body of the guitar though is good quality. You can add those other things as you go though. A mexi tele is more likely to need a set up than a USA version but as I say mine was spot on so no complaints. I only sold it to fund an American one. Which I then sold. I probably lost £500 right there in two deals. Don’t be me.

Just a shitty bag tbf. That’s partly where you lose out on a mexi fender. You will be getting basic tuners, pickups, gig bag etc. the actual body of the guitar though is good quality. You can add those other things as you go though. A mexi tele is more likely to need a set up than a USA version but as I say mine was spot on so no complaints. I only sold it to fund an American one. Which I then sold. I probably lost £500 right there in two deals. Don’t be me.

It's pretty random TBH - depends on lots of things - how it left the factory, storage temps .... would also recommend Durias checks out Squier classic vibes, which are pretty damn close to mexican fenders and cheaper. Not that the player series is a bad guitar, it is decent.

Ultimately, nothing beats going into a guitar shop and having a mess about .... the feel of the neck and whether it "makes you want" to pick it up.

it's funny, but I've got 6 teles, from cheap harley bentons through to fenders. My 2 faves are the squier bullet, classic vibe 70s deluxe and one of the harley bentons. I got my dream tele (baja) and I've never bonded with it. Shows the value in try before you buy...

Thinking about learning also.

Would you recommend starting on acoustic or electric? I kind of like both so with go with the handiest to learn on.

Thinking about learning also.

Would you recommend starting on acoustic or electric? I kind of like both so with go with the handiest to learn on.

I'd start off with an electric but play it acoustic. Reason being twofold. The strings on an electric are lighter. Secondly it'll be loud enough for you to here but quiet enough so other people don't. Thirdly, doing set up adjustments are easier on an electric.

Back