League 1 transfers

People were counting the likes of Sammut as a first team singing in previous years so I dunno how to classify it

Makes no sense to have him sitting on the bench though. He played the Oldham game under Johnson (I think) and was ropey so I’d say he needs more experience. Should try and get him in down at Hartlepool or Carlisle if possible.
I totally agree with that. If he isnt going to be no1 get him out on loan

most clubs dont pursue hidden gems though..may try to sign proven talent because most clubs employ managers that are nescessarily short termist..SAFC for example has not really gone down the hidden gem roue under any ownership for more than a decade..
BUT...the one time that happened was arguably under Mick Mac when he signed relative unknowns like liam lawrence for buttons who went on to do well...what does disrupt the "hidden gems"model is brexit restricting the ability to sign overseas players who may indeed be hidden gems as they arent known about here.
Yes, I thought Mick Mac did a god job getting promoted with those players, I remember sitting through that awful season in the PL. It didn’t make for good watching. I suppose lawrence, who was never better than ok and Dean Whitehead, who I thought was better, could be classed as successes. The rest, as far as I remember were not outstanding. Nor was the points return. I was brought up in the old fashioned, simple way, and it is those things that i trust. Bringing in players is a gamble but the better tha player the less of a gamble, signing good players gets us going. Fed up to the back teeth of dross and replacing last year’s dead wood with next year’s dead wood. It has a corrosive effect on the fans.1957;was my first season, I was 10, first season after the first ever relegation. the atmosphere was poisonous, watching kids losing was not great after the stars who had just left. As for brexit, nothing good will come from it.

Last edited:
We aren’t even really being linked to players now, very quiet
I think, because we haven't made our first move or shown our hand yet no one seems to really know what pool we're going to be fishing in. That means the sports media are struggling to even make up (because 95% of it is made up) any links for us.

I see a few are reporting that there's Championship interest in Atkinson at Oxford for around £1.5m. Would be a big loss for them, he looks like he could be a very good player.

We don’t want to be signing loan players for attacking positions, if you want to be sustainable at this level you need to own your number 9’s,10’s and 11’s so you have saleable assets.

been linked with loan move for lyle taylor as have a few clubs echo speculation like

One of, if not the best centre forwards I’ve seen at this level since we’ve been here.

Already said no to us once though.
We don’t want to be signing loan players for attacking positions, if you want to be sustainable at this level you need to own your number 9’s,10’s and 11’s so you have saleable assets.

We need to sign better players than we’ve had, it doesn’t matter if they’re on loan or not.

Making full use of the loan system is something we’ve failed to do for 3 years.

Last edited:
We need to sign better players than we’ve had, it doesn’t matter if they’re on loan or not.

Ofcourse it matters, we have no playing assets. There’s mass panic on what our team is going to look like in 8 weeks time, we need to develop our own players not other clubs who won’t be here the following season and try and break the cycle we have of squad overhauls every year.

Yes, I thought Mick Mac did a god job getting promoted with those players, I remember sitting through that awful season in the PL. It didn’t make for good watching. I suppose lawrence, who was never better than ok and Dean Whitehead, who I thought was better, could be classed as successes. The rest, as far as I remember were not outstanding. Nor was the points return. I was brought up in the old fashioned, simple way, and it is those things that i trust. Bringing in players is a gamble but the better tha player the less of a gamble, signing good players gets us going. Fed up to the back teeth of dross and replacing last year’s dead wood with next year’s dead wood. It has a corrosive effect on the fans.1957;was my first season, I was 10, first season after the first ever relegation. the atmosphere was poisonous, watching kids losing was not great after the stars who had just left. As for brexit, nothing good will come from it.
The points return really did stand out like!

One of, if not the best centre forwards I’ve seen at this level since we’ve been here.

exactly no use buying a l1 scorer give 2/3 yr contract if he cant step up then back to same crack cant sell on., crewe signed lad from southamton kayne ramsey looks like he tackles like bally used to

Wouldn’t be averse to Taylor on loan, wouldn’t want to sign him permanently though as don’t think he’s good enough for championship.

Back