Last time caller, Alan.

Think Robson started in 1983z was it James Whale before then?
Aye I think so.
I remember regularly listening to the show, and James Whale was the host back then in 1978.
Yep, that's the answer to the question I posed earlier. Robson had to literally step in after Whale was sacked. He was a rock DJ prior to stumbling upon night owls.

James Whale was on Metro Radio back in the day?

Wow, I had no idea!

I remember around 1994ish my Friday Night routine was to take LSD and watch The James Whale Show on TV. Used to love it. And Magic Eye posters. And watching wood patterns on furniture appearing to melt.

Can't really remember much about his show to be honest, just that I enjoyed it at the time.

Wow, I had no idea!

I remember around 1994ish my Friday Night routine was to take LSD and watch The James Whale Show on TV. Used to love it. And Magic Eye posters. And watching wood patterns on furniture appearing to melt.

Can't really remember much about his show to be honest, just that I enjoyed it at the time.
Yep Whale was a bit of a shock-jock and went a bit over the top in one night owls show (can't remember exactly what it was for) and with Robson doing the late night weekend slot, he then appeared as a "stand in" on the following Monday night, Night Owls.
He (Robson) was considered a bit of a lad, so will have thought to have been a good fit.
Didn't take long for that to be sapped out of him, having to listen to people playing the spoons, talking about dead budgies etc... and he soon morphed into the old uncle you avoid every year until Christmas.

Wasn’t well liked at Metro radio by fellow employees back in the day either , never mind most sane listeners.

Odd fucker , we’ll be reading about him soon as well I reckon.

Wow, I had no idea!

Ah right, your posts make sense now, LSD eh!

Anyone remember he hosted a few shows for Tyne Tees at the height of his Night Owls fame? One might have been called Robson's People. Must have been the late 80s/early 90s.
Yes, I think you have the name right, I vaguely recall it from circa 1992 ish.

Fraid I don't remember much more than that.

There was much more local telly back then, especially on ITV.

Last edited:
Ah right, your posts make sense now, LSD eh!

Ah, you're one of the "take something once, be forever ruined" brigade?

I tell you, if everyone in the country were forced to take it at least once in their life, the UK would be a far better place. Eye-opening experience that puts everything else into perspective.

It also gives you a whole new adult appreciation for The Magic Roundabout.

Back