Laser Eye Surgery

I suffer from corneal erosion so it is a non-starter for me. I cannot even get contact lense anymore. But even if I could get it done, I doubt I would. I really don’t mind wearing specs, used to them now. I know people who have had it done and they say it was definitely worthwhile. Sounds obvious but don’t go anywhere that is doing it really cheap.

I suffer from corneal erosion so it is a non-starter for me. I cannot even get contact lense anymore. But even if I could get it done, I doubt I would. I really don’t mind wearing specs, used to them now. I know people who have had it done and they say it was definitely worthwhile. Sounds obvious but don’t go anywhere that is doing it really cheap.
I paid £750 for mine in 2009.
Got it off ebay

I had it done in 2007 in Newcastle at Ultralase. Cost around £2,450 for both eyes. I was thinking about only getting one done to save money and winking more, but didn’t. Got both sorted.

My advice:
  1. Be aware that the positive effects don’t last forever - I’m back wearing glasses. But I look like a catalogue model, so it’s fine. The clear-sightedness lasted approx 6 years. It’s hard to know for certain how long; eyesight gets worse gradually, not overnight.
  2. They say things like, “After your surgery, your eyes may be sensitive to light.” A massive understatement! I got mine done Saturday morning, and I couldn’t open my eyes until 10.30pm in a dark room. So you’ll need someone to pick you up afterwards. Someone you know. Not a stranger.
  3. They’ll try to sell you add-ons and upgrades like “post-surgery anti-bong-eye spray”. Refuse.
  4. Make sure they’re using real lasers, not just a torch from Argos.
  5. When the laser hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's amore less when it starts. Be prepared for it to smell; your eye’s being burned. Literally.
  6. Once done, don’t throw your spectacles away. They’re a handy reminder that you were once a massive loser.
You could have worn a monocle too and looked class

Got mine done at Ultralase Newcastle around 2005/6 cost £3000.

I was told at the time I’d need glasses for reading as my eyes age but they’re still spot on for distance.

Significantly short sighted (been wearing soft toric contacts almost all the time out the house since I was 13).

I'm not inconvenienced by having to clean them and plonk them in and remove them each day (total of about 1 minute, if that).

6 month check ups since I started wearing them and (touchwood) no other issues bar my short sight to date.

Wear gleggs in the house (at the age now (just shy of 30) where my eyes are no longer getting worse and won't for many deacades to come) and that is just to stop my eyes going dry. Even got a pair of free prescription sunglasses with my last gleggs, they're class for pool/beach days on holiday.

Don't really see therefore how I'd benefit from surgery given that contacts only (as mentioned) take up about 1 minute of my day and I've never ever had issues with them. Been class for me.

Last edited:
I'd never do it.
Only wearing glasses since my mid 20s.
Thought I'd hate having glasses (cheated in an eye exam as a kid to avoid them) but when I started wearing them it was no bother at all.
Only reason I can think of would be for Sport. I've broken a pair of glasses playing sport, but you get goggles etc. I just couldn't be bothered.
There's like a 0.01% chance of it going wrong I believe, those odds are still way too high for me.
I went with a mate to look after him after he got it done.
He was in a good bit of pain for a few hours after it but we just hammered drunk and he was grand in the morning 👍

Last edited:
Anyone on here had it done? Know anyone who’s had it?

I’m thinking about it but for all the people who’ve had it saying it’s the best thing they’ve ever done, there’s twice as many people (who haven’t had it) saying to steer well clear of it due to how dangerous it is etc.

Over the past couple of years I’ve started wearing me geggs pretty much full time and as silly as it sounds it’s had a knock on my mental health in doing so. I can barely touch my eye lashes never mind my eye so contacts are out of the question!
Went to get it done, everyone working in there was wearing glasses, changed my mind.

I’m thinking about it but for all the people who’ve had it saying it’s the best thing they’ve ever done, there’s twice as many people (who haven’t had it) saying to steer well clear of it due to how dangerous it is etc.

Over the past couple of years I’ve started wearing me geggs pretty much full time and as silly as it sounds it’s had a knock on my mental health in doing so. I can barely touch my eye lashes never mind my eye so contacts are out of the question!
Do they do it while you wait??

had it done about 15 year agao, in newcastle, was sick of contact lenses
longer vision is still perfect and i "think" will remain so, but short vision for reading etc is slowly starting to go and eventually will need reading glasses , but should always be fine when out and about.
Definitely recommend it

I had it done in January. I had glasses for reading, and different ones for driving, so had the Lens Replacement.
Procedure was unpleasant. Few hours afterwards was painful as the drops wore off.
Next day i was reading and driving without glasses. No issues whatsoever. Best 6k i have spent.

I was always one of those I can never do contacts as I can’t touch my eyes
I now have to get an injection in my eye every 4 weeks
I think you’ll find if you’ve got to or really want to you’ll manage it mate

mrs humbug had lens replacement a few months ago. it's pretty much what she wanted. she still needs glasses for really close up and gets a bit of a halo round lights when driving at night but that's all something she was told beforehand.

edit, there's quite a long thread elsewhere on here about eye surgery.
I had mine done 7 months ago. The halo when driving has only disappeared in the last 4/5 weeks.

My Mrs (No) had it done a few years ago, cost a fortune and she now wears gleggs

had it done about 15 year agao, in newcastle, was sick of contact lenses
longer vision is still perfect and i "think" will remain so, but short vision for reading etc is slowly starting to go and eventually will need reading glasses , but should always be fine when out and about.
Definitely recommend it
About 20 years ago for me, was £1K an eye. They have deteriorated a bit, but I can still pass the driving eye test.

I cycled home after the second one, never had any pain etc.

Short vision is a different thing, they tell you that, and I need reading glasses now.

I've saved that £2k easily, not needing new glasses every few years, my wife's last lot were £400.

"Look in my eyes
What do you see?
The cult of personality"

Last edited:

Back