Laser Eye Surgery

Anyone on here had it done? Know anyone who’s had it?

I’m thinking about it but for all the people who’ve had it saying it’s the best thing they’ve ever done, there’s twice as many people (who haven’t had it) saying to steer well clear of it due to how dangerous it is etc.

Over the past couple of years I’ve started wearing me geggs pretty much full time and as silly as it sounds it’s had a knock on my mental health in doing so. I can barely touch my eye lashes never mind my eye so contacts are out of the question!

mrs humbug had lens replacement a few months ago. it's pretty much what she wanted. she still needs glasses for really close up and gets a bit of a halo round lights when driving at night but that's all something she was told beforehand.

edit, there's quite a long thread elsewhere on here about eye surgery.

I’m thinking about it but for all the people who’ve had it saying it’s the best thing they’ve ever done, there’s twice as many people (who haven’t had it) saying to steer well clear of it due to how dangerous it is etc.

Over the past couple of years I’ve started wearing me geggs pretty much full time and as silly as it sounds it’s had a knock on my mental health in doing so. I can barely touch my eye lashes never mind my eye so contacts are out of the question!

I had it done in 2007 in Newcastle at Ultralase. Cost around £2,450 for both eyes. I was thinking about only getting one done to save money and winking more, but didn’t. Got both sorted.

My advice:
  1. Be aware that the positive effects don’t last forever - I’m back wearing glasses. But I look like a catalogue model, so it’s fine. The clear-sightedness lasted approx 6 years. It’s hard to know for certain how long; eyesight gets worse gradually, not overnight.
  2. They say things like, “After your surgery, your eyes may be sensitive to light.” A massive understatement! I got mine done Saturday morning, and I couldn’t open my eyes until 10.30pm in a dark room. So you’ll need someone to pick you up afterwards. Someone you know. Not a stranger.
  3. They’ll try to sell you add-ons and upgrades like “post-surgery anti-bong-eye spray”. Refuse.
  4. Make sure they’re using real lasers, not just a torch from Argos.
  5. When the laser hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's amore less when it starts. Be prepared for it to smell; your eye’s being burned. Literally.
  6. Once done, don’t throw your spectacles away. They’re a handy reminder that you were once a massive loser.

Sort of similar but not. Worn contacts since I was 18, so nearly 30 years but they're getting less and less comfortable lately

Plus am now long-sighted too so reading with lenses in is hard

Hate wearing glasses and I'd probably be like you in feeling shit with them all the time

Don't think I could bear lasering though

I am very much in the “one of the best things I’ve ever done” crowd. I had LASIK done last year. It’s very safe.

I found the procedure to be pretty unpleasant but not painful. My eyes were stinging quite badly for a day after. Still worth it.

Last edited:
I’m wanting this done myself. Just can’t justify the costs right now. I know you can go on a payment plan mind which might be better.

Where is the best place in the north east? I heard it’s not heavily regulated and a lot of companies like spec savers don’t have proper qualified people doing it. Don’t really like the idea of getting it done by cowboys.

Had it done around 15 years now and no issues, best £1200 i’ve ever spent
I’m wanting this done myself. Just can’t justify the costs right now. I know you can go on a payment plan mind which might be better.

Where is the best place in the north east? I heard it’s not heavily regulated and a lot of companies like spec savers don’t have proper qualified people doing it. Don’t really like the idea of getting it done by cowboys.

Got mine done by optical express in northumberland road, but the person carrying out the procedure was bought in from London

Last edited:
I had mine lasered about 12 years ago at Ultralase in Newcastle. Strange story as it was a few months before they went bust. After leaving my contacts in one too many times after a night out I was working through Newcastle and walked into their shop one lunchtime cos I was sick of wearing glasses. After a double glazing style sales pitch where they started at something like £5k they eventually relented down to about £2.5k. I said to the lass feeling like they were on the ropes that I would do a deal for £1200. She said let me speak to my manager and returned about 5 mins later and to my amazement said if you can come in tomorrow lunchtime we‘ll do it for that.

Got my dad to take me in and drive me home, was in there literally 15 minutes, a very simple procedure. I remember we played Middlesbrough at home that night and I had to lie in a darkened room and listen to the match on the radio. Was told couldn’t drive for a week but was absolutely fine the next day and could see perfectly again.

I am definitely glad I got it done and thakfully haven’t seen any noticeable decline since albeit they do say it’s not a totally permanent fix. The one thing I do have is a slight reduction in my nighttime vision, so if I walk into a dark bar its a bit hard to see detail properly but other than that absolutely fine. Mind not surprised Ultralase went bust after that shocking sales strategy.

Had it done 14 years ago. One of the best things I ever did. Life changing as my sight had been -6.5. Started wearing glasses just for driving in the past year.

Best thing I ever did (apart from my kids).

Wish I did it years earlier.

You're in and out for the surgery in ten minutes.
Got mine done in 2009.
I need glasses again now for reading but I as told that at the time.
I'm at this point, but I still have 20/20

Last edited:

Back