Laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think she was meaning that poorer families have not been supplied with lap tops by the government.
That’s right the government promised a whole load of laptops back in April and Bly about 20% have been delivered. The other problem is that families without land lines only have internet access via a mobile and often the data requirement for one on line lesson can use more than a months data. If only we had free broadband for everybody. Must admit when it was talked about in the election I thought it was a daft idea, however I can see the point now.

That’s right the government promised a whole load of laptops back in April and Bly about 20% have been delivered. The other problem is that families without land lines only have internet access via a mobile and often the data requirement for one on line lesson can use more than a months data. If only we had free broadband for everybody. Must admit when it was talked about in the election I thought it was a daft idea, however I can see the point now.
Jezza 😍

Who'd have thought the Government wouldn't live up to its promises?

They also reduced their manifesto promises on Broadband coverage. So many U-turns in 12 months. Just think what the lying coward of a PM could manage in 5 years.

Even the government can’t magic laptops out of thin air. Blame the manufacturers for not having the foresight to realise that 2020 was going to be a pandemic year and they should have stockpiled millions of laptops for every country wanting to give their kids online education.

I haven't got a Brain.......
Tidied
Even the government can’t magic laptops out of thin air. Blame the manufacturers for not having the foresight to realise that 2020 was going to be a pandemic year and they should have stockpiled millions of laptops for every country wanting to give their kids online education.
No shortage of laptops for the last 5 months.
In fact more available in 2nd half 2020 than 2019

Last edited:

They knew months ago what was going to happen. They spent more time denying hungry kids school meals than they did procuring laptops and fulfilling a promise.

It's good that the mobile companies are offering free data for lessons. Hopefully that helps those who need it.

It was hard to buy laptops in the spring and early summer. More should have been done since then

Yeah - we got through the last school closures with a really ancient desktop PC that just about ran software and one of the kids on my laptop. When the kids started back in September I bought them both chromebooks knowing that if the schools closed again there would be a run on people buying budget laptops for the kids. Thank fuck I did.

But even then - the school are setting worksheets which need printing (and ink - again we'd stockpiled cartridges at least) and asking the kids to photograph their work - which requires a decent camera on a tablet or phone... and the video calls to check the kids are all still alive require a webcam and microphone (if you're using an ancient desktop like we did last time around you might not have those)... and a decent internet connection. It's an endless list of assumptions without which the entire house of cards comes tumbling down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back