Lake district places to stay and eat

Wainwright's in chapel stile. Used to be a proper pub for farmers and locals. It's pretty much a restaurant now

Might not be £30, but it's over £25.
Guessing if looking at pubs doing food, while not cheap it's not that far removed from here.
Seaburn pie and chips £17
Others only a few wuid cheaper.

Guessing if looking at pubs doing food, while not cheap it's not that far removed from here.
Seaburn pie and chips £17
Others only a few wuid cheaper.

Seaburn hotel ? That's a restaurant for a start, and there's plenty other places round there for alternatives.

I see they've even shut down the sticklebarn at the dungeon gyhll..used to be bands on their on a weekend and was rowdy and fun. It's absolutely dead now.

I'm probably in the vast minority, but sometimes I just don't feel like I'm welcome over there. I like to camp/wild camp, swim in a lake, walk up a mountain, go scrambling or climbing, cook on the campsite, maybe go for a few pints etc... but none of those things really take a lot of money off me

Seaburn hotel ? That's a restaurant for a start, and there's plenty other places round there for alternatives.

I see they've even shut down the sticklebarn at the dungeon gyhll..used to be bands on their on a weekend and was rowdy and fun. It's absolutely dead now.

I'm probably in the vast minority, but sometimes I just don't feel like I'm welcome over there. I like to camp/wild camp, swim in a lake, walk up a mountain, go scrambling or climbing, cook on the campsite, maybe go for a few pints etc... but none of those things really take a lot of money off me
Other places where it's a pub serving grub are not that much cheaper than their counterparts in the Lakes.
We go to Ullswater loads and you can certainly do all of those things you mention.

I often come back thinking it's not cheap( it isn't) then eat back home in pubs where they do food and the prices aren't massively different

Budget an issue ? Some very nice hotels in the lakes. Want hotels handy for walks ? Want Spa/fancy restaurants etc ?

Gilpin
Inn on the Lake
Lodore Falls
Another Place
Forest Side
Daffodil
Brimstone

Good list that, plus maybe The Swan at Newby Bridge - has a spa.

Can often get good deals at Forest Side, inclusive of the Michelin * dinner.

Sticklebarn back open again , don't go you may self combust at the prices..heard it was a tenner for a bowl of soup, anyway the lad running it has another place recently opened in elterwater and makes his own Gin and Rum..interesting story behind it also

Sticklebarn back open again , don't go you may self combust at the prices..heard it was a tenner for a bowl of soup, anyway the lad running it has another place recently opened in elterwater and makes his own Gin and Rum..interesting story behind it also

good to hear, i'll give it a whirl next time i'm up. good to see they're putting live music on but i'm not sure 'chilled ibiza classics' is the right mood setter for the location.

what i'd like to see is some people just having a drink and good time after a day in the fells

good to hear, i'll give it a whirl next time i'm up. good to see they're putting live music on but i'm not sure 'chilled ibiza classics' is the right mood setter for the location.

what i'd like to see is some people just having a drink and good time after a day in the fells
Used to have some great crack up at the sticklebarn back in the mid 00s. Used to bump in to folks from the Vaults there as well. Mad nights with good music.

Was a shame when sticklebarn closed. I had heard the NT sold it so good to hear it's back open but needs to be the proper bands and singers on not DJs.

Most of the Lakes has changed massively though. Keswick used to be a flipping great night out years back but it's dull as dishwater now. Canny for a couple of pints and food but not if you want proper crack and some music. Ambleside seems the same.

Stayed at Windermere Marina loads of times. Nice place but pricey like everywhere else over there. Walking distance to Bowness though and handy for ferry to Ambleside etc.

Used to have some great crack up at the sticklebarn back in the mid 00s. Used to bump in to folks from the Vaults there as well. Mad nights with good music.

Was a shame when sticklebarn closed. I had heard the NT sold it so good to hear it's back open but needs to be the proper bands and singers on not DJs.

Most of the Lakes has changed massively though. Keswick used to be a flipping great night out years back but it's dull as dishwater now. Canny for a couple of pints and food but not if you want proper crack and some music. Ambleside seems the same.

Them from the vaults will have been me dar and his mates..I'll have been about 14, used to get left to our own devices as kids, in the boozer till closing time. Absolutely class, some right crackerjacks amongst them lot. Proper drinkers

A lass behind the bar is Keswick last year told me that since COVID.the licensing laws don't allow anywhere to be open past 12

Going in May, probably have 3 days look out to different places, any recommendations of things to do and places to eat/drink

Them from the vaults will have been me dar and his mates..I'll have been about 14, used to get left to our own devices as kids, in the boozer till closing time. Absolutely class, some right crackerjacks amongst them lot. Proper drinkers

A lass behind the bar is Keswick last year told me that since COVID.the licensing laws don't allow anywhere to be open past 12
100%. Top lot. Barely ever out these days and less so that side of the water so rarely see them. Great days then though.

Aye I think it was the pubs moving to being more concentrated on food that killed it. Some really are just restaurants now and I can remember having great night in them in the past.

100%. Top lot. Barely ever out these days and less so that side of the water so rarely see them. Great days then though.

Aye I think it was the pubs moving to being more concentrated on food that killed it. Some really are just restaurants now and I can remember having great night in them in the past.

That was the Wainwright's, used to be rough as fuck, one of me dad's mates got hoyed through a window off one of the farm workers one night . Was smokey as fuck, loud, and exciting when we were young. You go in them now and you'd be out of place raising your voice, you never never see anyone actually drinking and getting drunk.

That was the Wainwright's, used to be rough as fuck, one of me dad's mates got hoyed through a window off one of the farm workers one night . Was smokey as fuck, loud, and exciting when we were young. You go in them now and you'd be out of place raising your voice, you never never see anyone actually drinking and getting drunk.
Wainwrights was topper. They always did a class lamb sunday dinner though.
Once drove there all the way from Sunderland just for the lamb to find the kitchen had burned down that morning :(

I think the pub was bought by The Langdale resort a few years back and they sanitised the place of all character. Though I did go in after an organised tour group of japanese tourists went in and they did tasting glasses of beer for them which they pretty much all left. So I swiped a few.

Just sick of how expensive it is . Been going since I was a brand new baby and my mam and dad been going since the 60s

Even I remember the late 90s when the bars had people drinking and having a good time. Nee food, music on, rowdy, people having a laugh etc..
What you on about-it was like that a couple of months ago in the Royal Oak Ambleside.

Usfet was 500

500 budget was for 2 nites. Just looked at forest side and 1 nite with food is 429 ouch
Noticed the Inn on the Lake winter offer works out at about 720 for two nights dinner bed and breakfast with a lakeside superior room…

Glenridding and plenty of walks nearby and even likes of Pooley Bridge other end of lake

Back