Lake district places to stay and eat

:lol:

Blimey mate. What happened?

Just sick of how expensive it is . Been going since I was a brand new baby and my mam and dad been going since the 60s

Even I remember the late 90s when the bars had people drinking and having a good time. Nee food, music on, rowdy, people having a laugh etc..

Did you think everything was top of the range? The beds, bedding, kitchen gear, hot tub. Seemed like no expense was spared. Seemed like they could have charged a lot more. They’re building a spa there now so the prices will rocket back end of the year. The staff were class. We had an issue where they didn’t book our dog in so they upgraded us to a much better cabin for nowt.
Had no complaints with anything tbh. I'm glad we booked August Bank Holiday weekend when did though if it looks the price will be going up. We got 3 nights for £420 for the two of us. Considering it's bank holiday weekend and what you get in accommodation it's a bargain. You can pay over 200 quid for a travelodge these for a night. We'll take beer, wine and bait with us, so won't spend much while there either.

Hardly Disneyland which is fake/manmade/plastic/different

The Lake District is real/nature made/ natural/beautiful

You ideally need to know when and where to go though.

We've been going to langdale for years, it's still got a bit soul.. can't stand Windermere, Ambleside, Keswick etc..

Other than the Golden Rule.. hell of a pub that. Proper drinking den

Right so gonna take Mrs for her bday to the lakes in a couple of weeks. She loves aonb and we've been all over Scotland so thought the lakes would be a good idea.

Anyone got any recommendations for nice hotels and good restaurants please.
Can’t beat Keswick .

Nestled in a valley , scenery , best in Lakeland , loads to see and do, good pubs and good restaurants now.

Loads of great places to stay and eat....all covered in the above posts...yes it's all expensive , as for being a rip off , we'll thats subjective , as any homes now up for sale are being bought as holiday homes, therefore driving up the prices and rents.
All these hospitality venues need to supply staff and is getting more difficult by the year to house them, so they have to a) buy or build their own staff accommodation or b ) ferry them in from the likes of kendal , barrow , and even Lancaster,
This all adds to the price of your holiday.

Disney theme park I disagree with but can be rowdy on weekends, stag weekends and lads trips on Saturdays pre covid, I've seen lads fighting in the street in Middle of Ambleside from 2 different coach trips in the middle of the afternoon.

It's a beautiful place to live and work, but the towns ain't quaint any more..I think this is the same most of the world over in popular places.

Yes, this....

Logon or register to see this image

https://ibb.co/r4NtxGM

Alternatively I reckon you could go to Lodore Falls next to Derwentwater. I got married there and it's a stunning hotel and spa overlooking the lake....

Been a few times...the Spa is really good.
Mizu also canny, a 2 nighter gives you the option of that one night and the Lakeside restaurant the other.

Though no Spa I actually prefer Inn on the Lake as a hotel/venue

Last edited:
Loads of great places to stay and eat....all covered in the above posts...yes it's all expensive , as for being a rip off , we'll thats subjective , as any homes now up for sale are being bought as holiday homes, therefore driving up the prices and rents.
All these hospitality venues need to supply staff and is getting more difficult by the year to house them, so they have to a) buy or build their own staff accommodation or b ) ferry them in from the likes of kendal , barrow , and even Lancaster,

Disney theme park I disagree with but can be rowdy on weekends, stag weekends and lads trips on Saturdays pre covid, I've seen lads fighting in the street in Middle of Ambleside from 2 different coach trips in the middle of the afternoon.

It's a beautiful place to live and work, but the towns ain't quaint any more..I think this is the same most of the world over in popular places.
My grandparents used to live up there so I was there constantly as a young lad.

Was another world then , if you went for a drive you did t pass a car for at least half an hour. I got started on in Ambleside !!!!

Was out having a Saturday teatime pint with my then wife .

Mental.

Totally agree. It's been going that way for a long time. I hope that it eventually eats itself inside out , becomes unviable due to not being value for money for the punter and returns to being a quiet, outdoors focused natural area. I'd like to see lots of kids camping groups and cheap bunk houses, cheaper pubs with a bit of life and character.

£30 for pie and chips isn't sustainable.

Totally agree. It's been going that way for a long time. I hope that it eventually eats itself inside out , becomes unviable due to not being value for money for the punter and returns to being a quiet, outdoors focused natural area. I'd like to see lots of kids camping groups and cheap bunk houses, cheaper pubs with a bit of life and character.

£30 for pie and chips isn't sustainable.
While I agree it isn't cheap to eat in the Lakes where are you being asked to pay that ?

Christ knows, loads of places sell food far cheaper than that around the likes of Keswick
We go to Pooley Bridge a lot and looking at the menus of the three pubs there it's 17.50...16.50 and 16.95

Granted not cheap but I'd imagine not that far off some places in Sunderland ( portions always generous as well)

Back